hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

No quality full backs

Again this year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Why so negative. Its been done to death.
    Who would you like in??

Doig is doing well and Mcginn steady.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again this year.
    What a superbly constructed post one game into a new season where the players have won, having had to play behind closed doors, and while the ability to make signings has been clearly affected by a global pandemic. Well played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    What we need is a left back.

As in your post left back in 2014.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The boy bale isn’t doing much at Real. Seriously, what do folk expect? In my 30 years of watching Hibs you can probably count the number of true quality fullbacks on one hand - you need an abacus to count the bombscares so I think we should be happy with some steady performers and let the midfield do the creative attacking work.

Again this year.
    Another three word slogan. Are you Dominic Cummings?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I think we probably are looking shapely for full backs, while with a club like ours there will always be scope for improvement should we have the resources.

I am not suggesting you are criticising Lewis and he didn’t start the game. There is a reason every one of the nine million managers who have had him at Hibs played him. Defensively he is solid. On the attack he moves and shows for the ball and is always available for the pass. If he has to track back he is in fifth gear. I read comments criticising him for his crossing. He plays what he is told, snappy ball to the first man, which usually doesn’t work but if it does it will lead to a goal scoring chance more reliably than a lofted ball, as well as keeping us safer on the counter-attack.

He is edging towards the end of his career, of course. Hopefully Doig offers a ready-made replacement. From the dev, there were options down the last few years, I was never fully convinced that Callum Crane was right for us, actually maybe more of a CM. I liked Kenny Waugh but it didn’t work out at Hibs. That’s probably why I don’t have a career in football management
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    Again this year.
    You'll probably take a lot of stick for your post Hibiza but for what its worth I agree with you and more. We still need a better centre half than what we have and all of our full backs are poor. A fully fit Gray would help but we haven't improved our defence in recent years. Whilst I'm happy with the win yesterday I think Killie will feel hard done by as Tam McManus said on his Twitter account. I know McGinn is on a contract but I wish we'd went for O'Donnell. Left back has been an ongoing problem....Doig may well be a prospect but from what I saw yesterday nowhere near ready. I worry about our back four or indeed a three for this season....still hasn't been addressed for me

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Doig has just played his first league game at 18 and didn’t look out of place. Written off already though, tremendous.

We have some proper clowns in our support.

After years of watching the likes of Kujabi, Hart, McGivern, Francomb, Maybury (not the worst) and Clancy, I'm pretty satisfied with 'no quality fullbacks' of the standard of McGinn, Stevenson, Doig and SDG.

This is tremendous 😂 Doig was totally fine and extremely confident on the ball. Taken off when he ran out of steam and Stevenson came on and was absolutely solid. On the other side Wright was fine, and McGinn does a shift at right back when moved to a 4. I’d rather this season we started off being more solid and have attacking players attack, better balance, which we showed yesterday.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    We have some proper clowns in our support.
    I resemble that comment !
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    I resemble that comment !
    Lol

Good fullbacks seem to come in pairs - Laursen and De La Cruz; Murphy and Whitaker; Stevenson and Gray. Outside of those pairings, we’ve had journeymen at best as fullbacks. Maybe no coincidence that we are more successful with a pair of decent fullbacks.

I can't wait for Lewis/Doig to have good seasons and Mcginn to do well so I can bump this pointless, negative thread and laugh at it.

@hibs.net private member
    Yesterday the three defenders were superb IMO with Porteous the pick of the bunch, in the second half balls were continually pumped into the box and the three at the back dealt with it all, a good news story? No lets just turn it into a negative because we haven't got Van Dyke or Bale we have no ambition is that was is seriously being suggested?
    Last edited by 147lothian; 02-08-2020 at 10:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Not sure why people bite. Fairly obvious fishing expedition.......

Again this year.
    McGinn is a steady eddie, and Doig has just had his debut, in which I was impressed with. We still have SDG and Lewis too. Disagree with your point
    Last edited by Baldy Foghorn; 02-08-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Again this year.
    🤪🤪🤪

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Good fullbacks seem to come in pairs - Laursen and De La Cruz; Murphy and Whitaker; Stevenson and Gray. Outside of those pairings, we’ve had journeymen at best as fullbacks. Maybe no coincidence that we are more successful with a pair of decent fullbacks.
    Your probably too young mate, but missed the best of them all, Brownlie and Schaedler...
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Your probably too young mate, but missed the best of them all, Brownlie and Schaedler...
    Now we're talking: The best full back pairing in my lifetime.

The best thing about the shut down was not having to read pish like this.

Long for the days of Lovering, Prenderville, McQuilken and Shannon
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

So I’ve heard from my old man and uncle. Did they not score a ridiculous number of goals as well?

In my time watching Hibs we have probably had a handful of really good full backs.

The current incumbents aren't on a par with a young Whittaker or the imperious David Murphy, few would argue otherwise. They may not be the best we have had but they are far from the worst. Doig has played one competitive game so I'm not talking about him, he could be anything.

Again this year.
    Sniff sniff?

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    So I’ve heard from my old man and uncle. Did they not score a ridiculous number of goals as well?
    Its not so much the goals they scored its the contribution to the team they brought.
    Shades was fitness personified, hard athletic....Brownie was more cultured, and scored more goals.
    Both played for Scotland at some point in their careers.
    I thought shades was great to watch...Hard as ****.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Its not so much the goals they scored its the contribution to the team they brought.
    Shades was fitness personified, hard athletic....Brownie was more cultured, and scored more goals.
    Both played for Scotland at some point in their careers.
    I thought shades was great to watch...Hard as ****.
    Watch the 7-0 goal highlights for Shades at the 6th goal. Or maybe the 7th. I’m getting old and there’s so many goals 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Myweebruv View Post
    Now we're talking: The best full back pairing in my lifetime.
    I feel blessed that I used to watch them regularly, when I was young I never realised how good the were, just thought Hibs would always have players of their quality, ah well if only.
    Lets just get right behind the boys we have now, McGinn will grow in confidence with more games & who knows about Doig? To early to call yet, he may be the next star man! it does happen.