hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Kilmarnock 01082020)

At last, proper football is back and so too is ‘This is how it feels’ which gives me the chance to offer my thoughts and opinions on each game. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing.

Thanks to Covid19, everything in football has changed and it was very strange sitting at home watching Hibs playing their first competitive game at Easter Road. A couple of sound issues and two whiteouts didn’t really spoil the experience which overall I thought was very good. David Tanner was slick in his presentation; Joelle Murray although nervous offered some thoughtful insights and Tam McManus was good value for money. I like Tam as a person, have been lucky enough to interview him a couple of times in years gone by and it’s safe to say he hasn’t changed and almost always has a smile on his face.

I confess I spent a fair bit of time trying to find the cardboard me but sadly I failed. My pal saw his cut out and announced he was ‘sitting’ next to a dog when in ‘real times’ he’d be sitting next to my brother who smells a lot better if truth be told!

As to the game itself I was pleased we ran out winners although like the cut outs I felt our performance was pretty flat in parts. Hibs started well and were ahead inside five minutes when Nisbet stroked the ball into the path of Boyle who raced towards goal, carefully sidestepping the onrushing Killie keeper before steadying himself and cracking a shot home. I cannot even begin to imagine why Eastwood in the Killie goal came rushing out so far as Boyle skipped past him a good twenty yards from the goal. It was a fine finish and a good start to proceedings.

With young Josh Doig making his competitive debut, Hibs started in a 3-5-2 formation with Nisbet and Boyle up top. Fellow debutant Gocic took up station in front of the back three and was soon in action, breaking up Killie attacks. For their part, Killie tried to take advantage of Doig’s inexperience and kept looking for Burke down their right. The young Hibs man coped fairly well but Jack Ross noticed the need for support and switched Drey Wright over to that side.

With Killie gaining more and more possession it was a bit worrying but our three central defenders coped well and as the half hour approached, a super bit of play from Scott Allan saw him skip away from his marker before feeding Boyle on the right side of the Killie box. Boyler took a touch and steadied himself before firing the ball across the diving keeper and in at the far post. A cracking finish and a two goal cushion.

Killie resumed the majority of possession but as I’ve said before and no doubt will say again in the future, possession doesn’t win games, goals do. It’s all very well having the ball but it’s what you do with it that counts.

I had hoped we’d get to the break without conceding but it was not to be and right on the break, Hibs faffed about at the back, trying to pass their way out of danger and instead fouled, at least in the eyes of referee John Beaton, Tshibola. The free kick was at least twenty yards from goal and Rocky set up a three man wall. Step forward Chris Burke who smashed his effort high into the net on Rocky’s right hand side. If a Hibs man had scored a goal like that I’d be lauding it as a cracker but it wasn’t and so, whilst acknowledging it was a fine strike, I have to raise questions about our keeper. Was the wall set up correctly? Did he mess up by trying to save with his ‘wrong’ hand? I’m not a keeper but it looked as though if he’d simply gone with his right hand he might have saved it.

After the break and indeed for most of the second half, Killie dominated possession but despite that and despite firing the ball into our box at every opportunity, Rocky’s only save of note was in touching the ball round the post when it had hit Hanlon and was going to go in. I thought Jack Ross reacted well to the changes in shape made by Killie and brought the right subs on at the right time to see out the game.

Not the most exciting of starts to the season but a win is a win and it puts Hibs at the top of the pile!

The players

Marciano – As I said, I’ve some doubts over his performance at the Burke goal but maybe I’m being a tad harsh as it was a stunning strike. His save from Hanlon was instinctive and noteworthy.

McGinn – It was noticeable to me that McGinn got his head to a good few crosses and cleared the lines in doing so. I thought he looked comfortable in that right of three role.

Porteous – I’ve been worrying about Ryan as his knee injuries were serious but he was immense today and never shirked a tackle or ducked a cross.

Hanlon – I know he has his critics but he was very good today and together with the other two in the three at the back, defended solidly.

Wright – Drey started on the right but played most of his time on the pitch on the left after Jack Ross moved him. It was a quiet debut and most of his good work was defensively.

Allan – Scotty was certainly not at his best and although his movement and assist for the second goal was top notch he had a frustrating tendency to give the ball away too easily. Not a good day at the office but the consolation is we know that he’ll get better with more games under his belt.

Gocic – Much was expected of him and for the most part he delivered. Was particularly impressive in the first half but seemed to tire later into the second.

Newell – Joe looks so much more accomplished in the central role but I thought he was pretty quiet today and most caught my eye by getting away with a string of fouls over the ninety minutes.

Doig – A good start for the kid who had Burke to deal with. For the first twenty minutes or so he did that just fine but the vastly experienced Burke caused him a few problems after that.

Boyle – The wee man took both goals exceptionally well and I confess I am too hard on him at times because, especially in the second half, he reverted back to the Boyle of old and forgot to lift his head and see team mates better placed to receive a pass.

Nisbet – A very quiet debut although his through ball for the first goal was sweet. I’m pretty sure he’ll improve with the going.

Horgan – Daryl flitted in and out of the game which is pretty much the norm for him in my opinion. He did do some fine protecting of the ball late on though.

Doidge – Given that he hasn’t trained much I thought he put in a decent twenty minutes and might have done better with a headed chance towards the end.

Stevenson – Lewis defended well and to me it was noticeable that Burke was less effective when the wee man came on. He had one tremendous block in the centre of the eighteen yard box.

Hallberg – A tactical change to run down the clock so nothing really to pass comment on, performance wise.

My man of the match had two contenders. Porteous for his immense defending and Boyler for his goal scoring exploits. After much thought, I’ve gone with the latter.

Jack Ross – Will be delighted with the outcome but also a tad concerned at the lack of possession.

John Beaton – A quiet game for him and even the cut outs weren’t complaining.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gogic my MOM with Porteous a close second.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Wouldn't feel like football has returned without your reflections Jonny. Good read and pretty much how I seen things myself.

Always a good read Jonnyboy.

I reckon we'll see the blitz attack, high press, a lot from hibs in the early stages. Hopefully nick a goal or two then defend as a team, sit in and hit on the break.

Today, we defended reasonably well as a team but didn't really pose a real threat on the break in the second half. Possibly due to fitness?

I posed the question in another thread, do we win that game with fans in the stand?

Thanks and agree with much of that.

Biggest exception being Burke’s freekick. Was more like 25-30 yards and was a bullet, no keeper was getting to that freekick. It was likely a 1/1000 type strike for Burke or he wouldn’t be playing at Killie.

Nisbet and Wright were worryingly quiet. Will give benefit of doubt, early days.

Boyle should of had his hatrick in the 2nd half but you are correct, he had a rabbit in headlights moment during 2’nd half but given his wonderful first half goals I’ll certainly not be dwelling on it.

Gogic had a good competitive debut, more to come from him.

Was maybe a good job ER was empty today as the final half hour may have seen the players more nervous than they were.

Steady start if not as convincing as I may have hoped for. Onwards and upwards.

Kilmarnock are always a hard team to play but for me they dominated possession far too much, despite all their possession we stayed solid and I can’t remember them creating a chance or Marciano having to pull off many saves.

Couple of points for me;

Why do we have centre mids that can only do one thing or the other? Killie played with Dicker and Tshibola in there today and both were able to compete and play.

Gogic was very good imo and does small things that probably go unnoticed with a lot of people but appreciated by team mates. Tackles, headers, interceptions and covering his team mates was all there to see today and I think he will be a very good bit of business.

Newell showed signs he can play in there and put in some really good tackles and blocks, I would like to see him dictate the play a lot more though as he has the ability.

Allan was incredibly frustrating. The assist aside which was brilliant he was very poor and gave away possession countless times with little/no pressure. He also seemed to want an absolute age to pick his pass.

Hanlon and Porteous were brilliant for me today and never gave them a sniff. Both dominated everything in the air and defensively. Their team mates should be very thankful. Really hope Porteous is ok but there was a good few times he smacked the ground in anger about the pain he was in.

Boyle, well where would we be without him? I actually thought he was really quiet today but scored two goals so I’m not complaining.

Doig got taught a massive lesson off Burke who is a very good winger. On the ball he needs to be a lot more positive and drive forward, he was getting screamed at for being so deep and just giving it back to Hanlon. Think his confidence took a knock early doors. I’d still start him next week but if he continues with performances like that I think he should be loaned out.

Burkes goal was a screamer but for me Marciano was trying to be too clever. He was assuming Burke would go for the other corner so tried to cheat a bit and get closer to that side. Burke called his bluff and put it in the other one, if he was positioned how he should have been he saves that imo.

Jack Ross deserves credit for changing from a 352 - 433 - 442. All done at the right stages and helped us massively.

Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks and agree with much of that.

Biggest exception being Burke’s freekick. Was more like 25-30 yards and was a bullet, no keeper was getting to that freekick. It was likely a 1/1000 type strike for Burke or he wouldn’t be playing at Killie.

Nisbet and Wright were worryingly quiet. Will give benefit of doubt, early days.

Boyle should of had his hatrick in the 2nd half but you are correct, he had a rabbit in headlights moment during 2’nd half but given his wonderful first half goals I’ll certainly not be dwelling on it.

Gogic had a good competitive debut, more to come from him.

Was maybe a good job ER was empty today as the final half hour may have seen the players more nervous than they were.

Steady start if not as convincing as I may have hoped for. Onwards and upwards.
    3 man wall to blame- so that's on Rocky. A free hit. Which was hit exceptionally well.

Cheers for the report.

Have I missed something with Doidge, not in the team sheet and you say hasn’t trained much? Was he out just before lockdown that I’ve forgotten or training injury what is the situation there?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Jonny, and I've missed these posts, and it's great to have them back. It's like the return of an old friend. Another good read.

Not a classic today, but job done. We'd take that every week.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Kilmarnock are always a hard team to play but for me they dominated possession far too much, despite all their possession we stayed solid and I can’t remember them creating a chance or Marciano having to pull off many saves.

Couple of points for me;

Why do we have centre mids that can only do one thing or the other? Killie played with Dicker and Tshibola in there today and both were able to compete and play.

Gogic was very good imo and does small things that probably go unnoticed with a lot of people but appreciated by team mates. Tackles, headers, interceptions and covering his team mates was all there to see today and I think he will be a very good bit of business.

Newell showed signs he can play in there and put in some really good tackles and blocks, I would like to see him dictate the play a lot more though as he has the ability.

Allan was incredibly frustrating. The assist aside which was brilliant he was very poor and gave away possession countless times with little/no pressure. He also seemed to want an absolute age to pick his pass.

Hanlon and Porteous were brilliant for me today and never gave them a sniff. Both dominated everything in the air and defensively. Their team mates should be very thankful. Really hope Porteous is ok but there was a good few times he smacked the ground in anger about the pain he was in.

Boyle, well where would we be without him? I actually thought he was really quiet today but scored two goals so I’m not complaining.

Doig got taught a massive lesson off Burke who is a very good winger. On the ball he needs to be a lot more positive and drive forward, he was getting screamed at for being so deep and just giving it back to Hanlon. Think his confidence took a knock early doors. I’d still start him next week but if he continues with performances like that I think he should be loaned out.

Burkes goal was a screamer but for me Marciano was trying to be too clever. He was assuming Burke would go for the other corner so tried to cheat a bit and get closer to that side. Burke called his bluff and put it in the other one, if he was positioned how he should have been he saves that imo.

Jack Ross deserves credit for changing from a 352 - 433 - 442. All done at the right stages and helped us massively.
    Newell and Gogic were every bit as good and competitive as the Killie pair IMO.

I’d say Hibs were happy to let them have possession and they didn’t threaten us too much. Where the game plan fell down a bit in the second half was we simply didn’t look too threatening on the break ourselves. But it’s a tough first game out of the way and we’ll be sharper next week.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Great to have these posts back, a brilliant read

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks JB.

Football back but not as we know it but at least we have your insight which I always look forward to.

Thanks for taking the time.👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Hanlon MotM
    He certainly was for me. His tackle just before their goal was immense as was the distance both he & Porto got on their clearing headers. Looked a real leader today.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    3 man wall to blame- so that's on Rocky. A free hit. Which was hit exceptionally well.
    Agree was amazed only 3 in the wall as gave Burke more to hit and goalie more to cover. Great strike but imo goalie should save that.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Hanlon MotM
    Other than almost scoring an OG (only save Rocky had to make), Hanlon was flawless. Both he and Porteous strolled the game, imho.

Have to disagree with the criticism of Marciano for their goal, i think he could have gone with either hand, holding a tennis racket, and still not save it. It was a thunderbolt right into the top corner.

I don’t think an extra man in the wall makes a difference either.

Great to get the points and great to have Hibs back, and we can enjoy an evening at the top of the league.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy brilliant

Wasn’t at the game but feel like I was

Might even buy a programme

Two well taken goals by Boyle won this for us along with some at times heroic defending from the back 3, especially Porteous.

We allowed Killie far too much possession, we didn't press high enough up the pitch and at times our passing was woeful throughout the team giving the ball away far too often. We were very very lucky to walk away with the win coz Killie deserved at least a draw. We have a lot of work to do IMO.

Rocky .... 5 .... The wall for Burke's goal was a shambles and he continually kicked the ball out of play ... brilliant save from Hanlon's deflection.
    Doig .... 6 .... Did pretty well for his first game, struggled with Burke at times ... but then more experienced players than him have as well.
    McGinn .... 7 .... Played his part very well and was solid throughout.
    Porteous .... 7 .... Won a ton of headers ... wouldn't be surprised if he had to go to the ERI for a scan after the game he got thumped so many times, heart of a lion.
    Hanlon ... 7 .... Kept a calm head under immense pressure, hope he can continue with his play from today throughout the season.
    Gogic .... 7 ..... His first half performance was very good and it was great to see him get into the box, he's already made more forward runs than Marvin did ( luv ya Marv ) ... dropped out of it a bit after half time.
    Allan .... 6 .... A great bit of play to set up Boyle, but far too many intercepted passes ... once or twice a game is acceptable, more than that doesn't help the team.
    Newell ... 7 ... Probably the pick of the midfield, super ball to Boyle with which he should have done better.
    Wright .... 6 .... A quiet debut, though he showed an impressive willingness to cover back.
    Boyle ... 8 .... Took both his goals really well, but fluffed a good chance to bag a hat trick and, as the OP said, at times didn't pass when he should have ... still MOM though.
    Nisbet ... 6 ... It's clear he is going to take a wee bit of time to adjust to the tougher and more savvy defenders in this league, nice bit of play to send Boyle through. I feel sorry for him in that a young guy in his first game at ER would have had 15,000 or so folk willing him to do well and I'm sure that would have energized him today .. the same goes for Doig for that matter.

SUBS .... None of them made a huge difference to how the game was going ... all 4s and 5s

Jack Ross ..... He must have seen from today that our passing, movement and ball retention has to improve a good bit and we can't allow teams to dominate possession the way Killie did for large chunks of the game, IMO a better team would have beaten us today. Lots of work to do.

The fans ... absolutely pathetic, the place was like a library.

Hibs TV ... Not a bad effort at all, though the sound was infuriatingly bad for half an hour and somebody needs to tell Cliff Pike that he doesn't have to whisper half the time.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 01-08-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Other than almost scoring an OG (only save Rocky had to make), Hanlon was flawless. Both he and Porteous strolled the game, imho.

Have to disagree with the criticism of Marciano for their goal, i think he could have gone with either hand, holding a tennis racket, and still not save it. It was a thunderbolt right into the top corner.

I don’t think an extra man in the wall makes a difference either.

Great to get the points and great to have Hibs back, and we can enjoy an evening at the top of the league.
    His almost OG was a great interception. Our midfield must work harder on wide attacking players. Jack Ross knows how to fix this.

Left by mutual consent!
    Newell is a class act. Thanks Hecky, the guy in the middle of the park coaches right should be a diamond for us.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    His almost OG was a great interception. Our midfield must work harder on wide attacking players. Jack Ross knows how to fix this.
    It’s not a great interception if it ends up in the back of the net

Rocky dug him out on that one occasion, but that aside Hanlon never put a foot wrong, he had a great game.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Yup ... Hanlon had to play that ball, no blame to him if it had went in. Great save from Rocky ... but wow, do goalkeeping coaches teach wall construction? Coz if they do Rocky must have been off sick that day.

Testimonial Due
    Been waiting and waiting to finally read “this is how it feels” again. Thanks Jonnyboy.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Two well taken goals by Boyle won this for us along with some at times heroic defending from the back 3, especially Porteous.

We allowed Killie far too much possession, we didn't press high enough up the pitch and at times our passing was woeful throughout the team giving the ball away far too often. We were very very lucky to walk away with the win coz Killie deserved at least a draw. We have a lot of work to do IMO.

Rocky .... 5 .... The wall for Burke's goal was a shambles and he continually kicked the ball out of play ... brilliant save from Hanlon's deflection.
    Doig .... 6 .... Did pretty well for his first game, struggled with Burke at times ... but then more experienced players than him have as well.
    McGinn .... 7 .... Played his part very well and was solid throughout.
    Porteous .... 7 .... Won a ton of headers ... wouldn't be surprised if he had to go to the ERI for a scan after the game he got thumped so many times, heart of a lion.
    Hanlon ... 7 .... Kept a calm head under immense pressure, hope he can continue with his play from today throughout the season.
    Gogic .... 7 ..... His first half performance was very good and it was great to see him get into the box, he's already made more forward runs than Marvin did ( luv ya Marv ) ... dropped out of it a bit after half time.
    Allan .... 6 .... A great bit of play to set up Boyle, but far too many intercepted passes ... once or twice a game is acceptable, more than that doesn't help the team.
    Newell ... 7 ... Probably the pick of the midfield, super ball to Boyle with which he should have done better.
    Wright .... 6 .... A quiet debut, though he showed an impressive willingness to cover back.
    Boyle ... 8 .... Took both his goals really well, but fluffed a good chance to bag a hat trick and, as the OP said, at times didn't pass when he should have ... still MOM though.
    Nisbet ... 6 ... It's clear he is going to take a wee bit of time to adjust to the tougher and more savvy defenders in this league, nice bit of play to send Boyle through. I feel sorry for him in that a young guy in his first game at ER would have had 15,000 or so folk willing him to do well and I'm sure that would have energized him today .. the same goes for Doig for that matter.

SUBS .... None of them made a huge difference to how the game was going ... all 4s and 5s

Jack Ross ..... He must have seen from today that our passing, movement and ball retention has to improve a good bit and we can't allow teams to dominate possession the way Killie did for large chunks of the game, IMO a better team would have beaten us today. Lots of work to do.

The fans ... absolutely pathetic, the place was like a library.

Hibs TV ... Not a bad effort at all, though the sound was infuriatingly bad for half an hour and somebody needs to tell Cliff Pike that he doesn't have to whisper half the time.
    FFS! Rocky still kicking the ball out of play ?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Great to read this thread and see another old codger is still alive and kicking 😉

Welcome back Jonnyboy. Agree with most of what you say in your report.
    Didn't know Doidge hadn't been training. Made a difference when he came on. A good team player. Holds it up and works hard.

Biggest concern for me was the form of Scott Allan. Until the classic Allan assist in the 33rd minute he was pretty atrocious, getting caught on the ball and passing to the opposition. 1st game, so fingers crossed for an improvement next week.

The new guys:
    Nisbet - other than the lovely bit of play before setting up Boyle's 1st goal he did very little to affect the game but will be pleased to get his 1st game for Hibs played and improve next time out.

Wright - stuck doing the dirty stuff today but did okay

Doig - schooled by Burke, not the first, but did enough to get another shot. Not easy for an 18 year old in his 1st team debut but will be a bit braver next time out

Gogic - Did well, good awareness and kept it simple. A good partnership with Newell. Will do well at Hibs

Biggest surprise:
    McGinn - very interesting that he was preferred to the recognised centre halfs and he did well

Players missing from the extended 9 player bench:
    Which ones are injured and what ones are oot the window?
    Mallan, Jackson & Mackie the former and James and Kamberi the latter?

Boyle - If we are to lose squirrel in the window it is good that he reminded possible suitors of his talent and value. No football in England so his goals will be seen far and wide. What a talent he is.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 01-08-2020 at 10:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Thanks JB, the highlights on Sportscene were frustratingly short as ever, so it’s good to read your analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Newell is a class act. Thanks Hecky, the guy in the middle of the park coaches right should be a diamond for us.
    I thought Newell looked good too, particularly first half. Got a sweet left peg and put himself about. Really hope he has a good season, took a lot of really harsh stick at the start of last season (rightly or wrongly) but think we’re starting to see the real Joe Newell in the centre mid role.

Also the guy’s a gorgeous bar steward, must do some damage up George St.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I thought Newell looked good too, particularly first half. Got a sweet left peg and put himself about. Really hope he has a good season, took a lot of really harsh stick at the start of last season (rightly or wrongly) but think we’re starting to see the real Joe Newell in the centre mid role.

Also the guy’s a gorgeous bar steward, must do some damage up George St.
    His lofted through ball to Boyle in the second half was as dreamboat as the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    Only Hibs could sign an Israeli who can’t build a wall. 🤦*♂️ He’s a frustrating goalkeeper. Makes some good saves but his kicking can be very poor and I think he lacks concentration at times. Have seen worse though....