hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

He must be up there as one of the top three strikers in the world at the moment. With Ronaldo and Messi maybe not as influential as they've been in the past, is there anyone else that is better than Aubameyang at the moment, especially considering that he is probably not surrounded by that many 'world class' players.

I think that the summer transfer window will be dominated by the story of Aubameyang's future to see whether he will stay with Arsenal or will he move onto one of the big clubs that are more likely to win the Champions League.

As he's now 31, it's going to be one last big pay day for him, whether he signs an enhanced contract at Arsenal or decides to leave.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He must be up there as one of the top three strikers in the world at the moment. With Ronaldo and Messi maybe not as influential as they've been in the past, is there anyone else that is better than Aubameyang at the moment, especially considering that he is probably not surrounded by that many 'world class' players.

I think that the summer transfer window will be dominated by the story of Aubameyang's future to see whether he will stay with Arsenal or will he move onto one of the big clubs that are more likely to win the Champions League.

As he's now 31, it's going to be one last big pay day for him, whether he signs an enhanced contract at Arsenal or decides to leave.
    Goals scored this season..

36 Ciro Immobile (Lazio, ITA)
    34 Robert Lewandowski (Bayern München, GER)
    31 Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus, ITA)
    28 Timo Werner (Leipzig, GER)
    25 Lionel Messi (Barcelona, ESP)
    23 Jamie Vardy (Leicester City, ENG)
    23 Romelu Lukaku (Inter, ITA)
    22 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal, ENG)
    22 Danny Ings (Southampton, ENG)
    21 Karim Benzema (Real Madrid, ESP)
    21 Francesco Caputo (Sassuolo, ITA)

Lewandowski is definitely better. Other than that not many.

Everything points to him staying at arsenal. He has said he's happy and his demands aren't unreasonable according to Arteta and journalists. Expect it to be wrapped up fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

Jamie Vardy - he's not surrounded by world class players either.

The guy looks the real deal

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Jamie Vardy - he's not surrounded by world class players either.
    Neither is PEA.

I reckon there’s quite a few attacking players better than him but he is very good.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    He’d be even better playing off Doidge.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

He's a quality player, If i were him I'd be looking to go somewhere else. At 31 he still has a couple of years of being an influential player for an elite level club (in terms of what they compete for). Not sure staying at Arsenal for another 4 years would see him win the amount of trophies a player like him probably deserves.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    It is a curious one. If Arsenal can offload Ozil then they free up a big load of money for wages. PEA also seems to really enjoy playing alongside Lacazette. Given the emergence of a number of really young talented players, and the return of Torreira and Martinelli, Arsenal are possibly a couple of signings off being back to a top four side and potential title challengers. Central defence is the priority.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Arsenal are absolutely miles away from being title challengers

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Arsenal are absolutely miles away from being title challengers
    I disagree. I think they showed in the latter stages of the Cup that they can beat ‘top six’ teams relatively comfortably.

They desperately need to strengthen central defence though, keep Ceballos or replace him with somebody equal or better and likewise with PEA.

The likes of Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah and Pepe are a nightmare for opposition defenders. Tierney has shown up well playing in a few different positions. Reiss Nelson maybe needs to push on a bit.

I think a lot depends on how they strengthen and whether Saliba adapts to English football.

City took a real step back this season and there were clear flaws in certain positions. Liverpool have a specific style that other coaches will be focusing on trying to out-tactic. United on paper look great but it still feels like it hasn’t quite gelled. Chelsea have strength and some youth but it was fascinating how the defence stumbled when Azpuiliceata went off. Spurs are top six in name but look a shadow of the team from a couple of years back.

I think there is room for a fair bit of fluidity in the top four and obviously a lot depends on transfer activity, in and out. But obviously this is all just my opinion.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Gamer IDs

There’s a top 2, then there’s the rest.

Arsenal just finished 8th, only 2 points ahead of Burnley and Sheff Utd. 25 points behind Man City (who had a poor season).

If Arsenal were able to sign a top quality central defender and midfielder they'd be contenders again. Can't see them pulling that out the bag though - don't seem to have much to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If Arsenal were able to sign a top quality central defender and midfielder they'd be contenders again. Can't see them pulling that out the bag though - don't seem to have much to spend.
    The critical thing I see is moving Ozil on. That frees up phenomenal revenue budget. In terms of transfer fees I believe they made £40m from the last Europa campaign. Not sure how season ticket sales have progressed but there was definitely a waiting list in previous years and it is a huge stadium so I suspect there may be some capital. Few players to shift on as well and some of them will garner fees.

Nevertheless it is all ifs, buts and maybes.

In recent memory it was Arsenal or Man Utd. Then maybe Man Utd and Chelsea. Then Man City resurgent. Then Liverpool resurgence.

And in my lifetime I have seen Nottingham Forest, Watford, Ipswich, Villa, Everton, Newcastle, Blackburn, Leeds, Leicester, Palace, even Swansea IIRC all win or come close to challenging. There will be others I missed out.

The dynamic invariably changes.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Lewandowski is definitely better. Other than that not many.

Everything points to him staying at arsenal. He has said he's happy and his demands aren't unreasonable according to Arteta and journalists. Expect it to be wrapped up fairly quickly.
    Yeah, Lewandowski the best out and out striker in the world at the moment.

For Ciro immobile to finish top goalscorer in a league containing Ronaldo he must be some player. Reminds me of jason cummings a bit does immobile. Much better though

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    At the moment the most prolific striker is Ciro Immobile. Golden Boot winner and Italy's Golden Shoe (top goalscorer award) with a team around him that isn't exactly full of household names unlike say Bayern, Juventus or Barcelona.

But yeah Aubamayang is in terrific form as well.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

As good as Immobile is, he has had a lot of penalties this season. Something like 15. Lazio had an excellent season before the lockdown, could easily have won the title.

As good as Immobile is, he has had a lot of penalties this season. Something like 15. Lazio had an excellent season before the lockdown, could easily have won the title.
    Yeah and he's still not close to Lewandowski's strike rate this season (who only scored 6 pens).

Gamer IDs

It’s nuts how many pens were awarded in Serie A this season. Immobile scored 15, Lazio were awarded 18 in the season. 187 penalties in total in the league.

It’s nuts how many pens were awarded in Serie A this season. Immobile scored 15, Lazio were awarded 18 in the season. 187 penalties in total in the league.
    Probably would have been around 100 without VAR.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    He's a class act. Arsenal had a poor season and would have been sunk without Aubameyang. After the final yesterday he was non-committal about his future. No doubt Arsenal will offer him a massive contract, they really need him, but he might have decided he needs a club that can challenge for the Champions League, given his age. It will be a huge blow to Arsenal if he leaves, as he's almost impossible to replace.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Yeah and he's still not close to Lewandowski's strike rate this season (who only scored 6 pens).
    These stats seem to show both are very similar. In fact both are almost identical in many ways with minor differences between them.

Does it matter how you score as long as you score?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Man U were awarded 18 this season too, I’m not sure there’s that much difference between the two leagues?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Man U were awarded 18 this season too, I’m not sure there’s that much difference between the two leagues?
    At the other end, Everton got one penalty all season.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    He’d be even better playing off Doidge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    At the other end, Everton got one penalty all season.
    They probably only got the ball into the box a handful of times though

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Man Utd had 14 in the league, and there were 92 for all teams combined.

That’s less than half the amount of pens in Serie A.

Man Utd had 14 in the league, and there were 92 for all teams combined.

That’s less than half the amount of pens in Serie A.
    Well that does seem a lot to be fair. It’d be interesting to find out why.

Back to the OP, I used to watch Auba in ligue 1 when he was as St Etienne, it was the first decent team they’d had for years, won the cup and qualified for Europe. they had a great wee team then, lots of players went on to great careers, Kurt Zouma, Alain St Maximin, Ghoulam that’s now at Napoli and Auba scoring all the goals.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aubameyang is decent but is all round game is nowhere near up with the best. He’s poor back to goal and needs a partner which is why Arsenal have moved him out to the left.

The likes of Lewandowski, Kane, Suarez, Benzema are far more complete strikers than Aubameyang.