hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Lizzie Arnot

Lizzie Arnot

Signed for the Huns.

I'd rather see Glasgow City win 50 leagues in a row than the Old Firm start to buy the women's game too.

Get the feeling some of their followers will start to turn it into a proxy bigotry fest.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Going to be controversial with some no doubt but I couldn’t really care about the ladies team. I do, however, think its a shame that the OF financial muscle will start to change things in the women’s game. And I do agree that some numbskulls will no doubt attach themselves in particular when the OF games come around.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    it's so disappointing our ladies team just couldn't get that league title before the gruesome twosome started chucking the cash about, i'm sure we all know the way things will go now in our ladies game sadly.

@hibs.net private member
    She’s a full time pro. Good luck to her ...money drives success in football, so highly likely it’s only a matter of time for rangers to start to be dominant, as they seem the best funded

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it's so disappointing our ladies team just couldn't get that league title before the gruesome twosome started chucking the cash about, I'm sure we all know the way things will go now in our ladies game sadly.
    Yeah, although we did win 3 titles, the last one was 2006-07 and can't see any more coming anytime soon. Would be great if woman's football in Scotland could flourish, but given the issues the men's game has in attracting sponsorship, it's going to be very difficult.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Yeah, although we did win 3 titles, the last one was 2006-07 and can't see any more coming anytime soon. Would be great if woman's football in Scotland could flourish, but given the issues the men's game has in attracting sponsorship, it's going to be very difficult.
    i'm sure the ladies would have gladly swapped a couple of those cup wins for a league win, 7 cup wins in a row i think

i noticed they were due to start the season this sunday but that's been knocked on the head

celtic v hibs
    heartz v glasgow city
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 31-07-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Wage cap? Surely a balanced league would be good for the product. Will also mean that talented players arent just making up the numbers on a bench on the west coast. NFL anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    Wage cap? Surely a balanced league would be good for the product. Will also mean that talented players arent just making up the numbers on a bench on the west coast. NFL anyone?
    It would make sense but, unlike the NFL, the SWPL doesn't exist in isolation and the Ugly Sisters would only whine that it was restricting their ability to compete with second tier English clubs for players.

I agree that their financial firepower will simply replace the Glasgow City monopoly on the league title with a Glasgow duopoly, and with the concern that their fans will start to pollute the women's game with their bigotry.

That's not restricted to their men's first teams, as was demonstrated by an Ugly Sisters youth game played a Firhill a couple of years ago.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I fear we are giving up on it tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I fear we are giving up on it tbh.
    Last October Hibs beat Rangers 8-0 in the SWPL. The Rangers new coach had just been given £500k. In the press the following week he admitted that Rangers could not compete with that Hibs team.

Since then, they’ve signed half the Hibs team and half Glasgow City team. And a bunch of foreign imports.

The absolute definition of buying trophies.

Brexit and work permits with the need for Pritty Points will hit the old firm’s attempt to revolutionise Scottish women’s football. With a bit of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Last October Hibs beat Rangers 8-0 in the SWPL. The Rangers new coach had just been given £500k. In the press the following week he admitted that Rangers could not compete with that Hibs team.

Since then, they’ve signed half the Hibs team and half Glasgow City team. And a bunch of foreign imports.

The absolute definition of buying trophies.

Brexit and work permits with the need for Pritty Points will hit the old firm’s attempt to revolutionise Scottish women’s football. With a bit of luck.
    So you combat that by making sure you sign the best young talent in the country. We arent doing that.