hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due

What should be the main system/formation with this squad

Haven’t read too much into our pre season games. What formation has been mainly in use?

just wondering going forward into season what Jack Ross will prefer. With Doidge in good form last season and the signing of Nisbet and the emergence of Gullan, will he always look to go with 2 strikers against the ‘lesser’ sides or will we revert back to a more 4.3.3 with boyle/Horgan supporting 1 top man.

What do people think is the best set up for the players we have in squad to get the best out them?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    For me it’s got to have Boyle as an out and out right winger, Allan as a 10 and Doidge up top. Without knowing much about him I’d suggest it needs to have Gogic sitting deep. So for me that leaves us with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think we're setting up for a 3-5-2 - Boyle as right wing back and Wright or Horgan on the other side. Doidge and Nisbet up front, and then likely Gogic, Halberg (or Mallan) and Allan as the central three midfielders.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    3-5-2

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we're setting up for a 3-5-2 - Boyle as right wing back and Wright or Horgan on the other side. Doidge and Nisbet up front, and then likely Gogic, Halberg (or Mallan) and Allan as the central three midfielders.
    I agree we’ll play that formation. But I don’t think Horgan will play as a wing back. And I don’t think Wright will play on the left. Stevenson or Doig will play there. Hopefully Doig but expect it to be Stevenson.

Gogic, Newell and Allan will start the season in the middle of the park IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Newell in there.

@hibs.net private member
    Tomorrow I’d like to see

Rocky

McGinn
    Jackson
    Porteous

Boyle
    Gogic
    Newell
    Doig

Allan

Doidge ( if not fit - Gillan)
    Nisbet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertK86 View Post
    Tomorrow I’d like to see

Rocky

McGinn
    Jackson
    Porteous

Boyle
    Gogic
    Newell
    Doig

Allan

Doidge ( if not fit - Gillan)
    Nisbet

Doidge won't play tomorrow. In the pre match press conference today Jack Ross said he'd only played 45 mins of one pre season game due to an injury and tomorrow is too soon for him.

Mallan has been struggling with a knee injury and is unlikely to be involved tomorrow he said.

Jackson has also missed a large amount of the training and games through injury but he didn't say whether he'd make the squad or not.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Doidge won't play tomorrow. In the pre match press conference today Jack Ross said he'd only played 45 mins of one pre season game due to an injury and tomorrow is too soon for him.

Mallan has been struggling with a knee injury and is unlikely to be involved tomorrow he said.

Jackson has also missed a large amount of the training and games through injury but he didn't say whether he'd make the squad or not.
    Shows how much we actually do need another forward. I would try get Washington from hearts. He runs the channels a lot and can supply/finish. He would want a move to a big team too with the Euros next year.

Going by Jack Ross’ interview on YouTube Doidge has missed a fair chunk of pre season and only played 45 minutes. With that in mind I think we will start with 4232

.......................Marciano...................

McGinn.......McGregor.....Porteous......Stevenson. ....

................Gogic..........Newell.........

Boyle..................Allan..............Wright.. ....

........................Nisbet............

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Going by Jack Ross’ interview on YouTube Doidge has missed a fair chunk of pre season and only played 45 minutes. With that in mind I think we will start with 4232

This is exactly the team that didn't play at celtic on monday so wouldn't surprise me, if doidge is definitely out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

I hope it’s this.

Mental so many dropping Hanlon for McGregor. Never going to happen. Ball would never be on the ground with McGregor and Porteous as a 2.

Hanlon is our best defender, the best passer and the only let footed one. I cant see him missing many games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Mental so many dropping Hanlon for McGregor. Never going to happen. Ball would never be on the ground with McGregor and Porteous as a 2.

Hanlon is our best defender, the best passer and the only let footed one. I cant see him missing many games.
    If Hanlon is our best defender then it’s understandable why we need a new defence.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    If Hanlon is our best defender then it’s understandable why we need a new defence.
    He was our best defender when we won the cup as well. Missed him massively when he was out that season.

It means nothing, Paul Hanlon is a quality player, has been for years. He is the least problematic of our current defenders.

@hibs.net private member

I agree and hope hanlon plays.

Funny that the above team is all the players rested for the celtic game though. It does hint at mcgregor playing with porto.

Left by mutual consent!
    He was our best defender when we won the cup as well. Missed him massively when he was out that season.

It means nothing, Paul Hanlon is a quality player, has been for years. He is the least problematic of our current defenders.
    I would agree with the top part. He was at his peak then.

He loses his man and gets bullied off the ball far too much for a top six defender imo. He also has looked to have lost a yard of pace. We should have signed Ambrose, still don’t understand why we didn’t.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post

Cheers for that not seen the press conference yet.

Will give it a look.

If BBC Jackson not fit back 3 of

McGinn Porteous Hanlon

@hibs.net private member
    If Doig has a similar engine to Boyle then I'd like to see a 352. Lennon was most successful with that formation as it allowed him to play his best players in their best areas. It worked because we had a central midfield trio that complemented each other. Holding, up and down and attacking. If we could get Docherty or Hallberg can do that job then we will again have the chance to play players where they play best.

I would agree with the top part. He was at his peak then.

He loses his man and gets bullied off the ball far too much for a top six defender imo. He also has looked to have lost a yard of pace. We should have signed Ambrose, still don’t understand why we didn’t.
    Loses his man? Lost a yard? But you want McGregor playing instead? He is much worse for these things than Hanlon.

We'll see tomorrow I suppose, but I'm very confident in man in your picture will be selecting Hanlon every time, as he has since hes came in.

Left by mutual consent!
    Loses his man? Lost a yard? But you want McGregor playing instead? He is much worse for these things than Hanlon.

We'll see tomorrow I suppose, but I'm very confident in man in your picture will be selecting Hanlon every time, as he has since hes came in.
    And it’s to the detriment of the team. Our defence is one of the worst for losing goals in the league, that again was evident on Monday at Celtic park. Every excuse is made for them. You’re probably right and Hanlon plays but when we lose soft goals as per usual from crosses or corners for some it won’t be the actual defence fault when it’s clearly seen as a weak link. Anyway no more of this negative ****, lets hope whoever plays has a stormer and we win comfortably.

And it’s to the detriment of the team. Our defence is one of the worst for losing goals in the league, that again was evident on Monday at Celtic park. Every excuse is made for them. You’re probably right and Hanlon plays but when we lose soft goals as per usual from crosses or corners for some it won’t be the actual defence fault when it’s clearly seen as a weak link. Anyway no more of this negative ****, lets hope whoever plays has a stormer and we win comfortably.
    So you think you know better than Ross? Or you don't trust his judgement?

Did you see the team we had out Celtic park? Cant be judging much from that.

Why are the crosses getting into the box? Why did the opposition have the ball? Why did we concede the corner? Those are the questions good teams ask. Not ''we lost a goal, blame the defenders''.

Left by mutual consent!
    So you think you know better than Ross? Or you don't trust his judgement?

Did you see the team we had out Celtic park? Cant be judging much from that.

Why are the crosses getting into the box? Why did the opposition have the ball? Why did we concede the corner? Those are the questions good teams ask. Not ''we lost a goal, blame the defenders''.
    Of course I don’t know better than Jack Ross. It doesn’t make all his decisions correct though and our defence was pap last season. Fourth most goals conceded in the league and many of the soft goals.

It doesn’t matter why crosses are coming into our box, our full backs being poor is the obvious reason though, they are very rarely dealt with. Our defence is bottom six by miles and there’s no standouts.

I did see the team at Celtic park yes, I also seen similar mistakes in defence from Jackson and Hanlon against Celtic youths and reserves.

I’m out the discussion now mate, you should have lost me at the “you know better than Jack Ross now” part but out of respect I replied regardless.

Of course I don’t know better than Jack Ross. It doesn’t make all his decisions correct though and our defence was pap last season. Fourth most goals conceded in the league and many of the soft goals.

It doesn’t matter why crosses are coming into our box, our full backs being poor is the obvious reason though, they are very rarely dealt with. Our defence is bottom six by miles and there’s no standouts.

I did see the team at Celtic park yes, I also seen similar mistakes in defence from Jackson and Hanlon against Celtic youths and reserves.

I’m out the discussion now mate, you should have lost me at the “you know better than Jack Ross now” part but out of respect I replied regardless.
    No but you are saying Hanlon playing is a detriment to the team. He is playing because he is better than McGregor and Porteous, thats why.

Of course it matters why the crosses are coming in. You cant just let the opposition cross 100 times then blame the defenders if they score. I think our poor midfielder and wingers not defending is far more to blame than anything. I think it was Jurgen Klopp who said that if your fullback is left 1 vs 1 you've already made a mistake.

We'll see. Our team isn't bottom six since Ross came in, no where near that. That includes the defence.

How did our defence stack up after Ross came in? Cant just judge guys like Newall and Doidge as good players because of their form under Ross then say the defences condeded bla bla the 4th most goals when a large part of that was some shockers under Hecky.

Left by mutual consent!
    No but you are saying Hanlon playing is a detriment to the team. He is playing because he is better than McGregor and Porteous, thats why.

Of course it matters why the crosses are coming in. You cant just let the opposition cross 100 times then blame the defenders if they score. I think our poor midfielder and wingers not defending is far more to blame than anything. I think it was Jurgen Klopp who said that if your fullback is left 1 vs 1 you've already made a mistake.

We'll see. Our team isn't bottom six since Ross came in, no where near that. That includes the defence.
    There’s very little alternative to Hanlon, that’s the issue. He’s not a top 3/4 player that’s for sure.

No bother 👍

Would like to see 3-5-2 but with Doidge out it'll likely be a 4-3-3 variation.

Excited to see Newell played more centrally (hopefully) along with all 3 new signings probably getting a start.

Boyler playing on the right as well, we're all too aware of how good he can be. Absolutely buzzing to have the football back

There’s very little alternative to Hanlon, that’s the issue. He’s not a top 3/4 player that’s for sure.

No bother 👍
    Oh he is.

No bother 👍
    Maybe Hanlon is just out of position at CH?

The BBC team selector has him listed as a GK for today!
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Maybe Hanlon is just out of position at CH?

The BBC team selector has him listed as a GK for today!
    Doig not in their squad list either. BBC bang up to speed as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Doig not in their squad list either. BBC bang up to speed as usual.
    And I couldn't find Gogic when picking my midfield because he's listed as a defender.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.