hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You’re trying to put words is my mouth.

Sure there are bad, very bad people in the country. To accuse a whole country or the same isn’t for me though:

So what actually was your point then, as I don't get it?

"of a country of... What again"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Sure there are bad, very bad people in the country. To accuse a whole country or the same isn’t for me though:
    To be fair, they didn't. The poster said the saudi government, not the whole country.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    So what actually was your point then, as I don't get it?

"of a country of... What again"
    Again. You’re trying to put words in my mouth. Want to stop it?

A country of... how many million? But just list the bad guys? That’s what I meant by it. Not that I need to and I don’t know why I am after being pressured to by you.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    To be fair, they didn't. The poster said the saudi government, not the whole country.
    Yeah I get the government part now tbf, he wasn’t clear to begin with and after the replies to my post neither was I it seems although you kind of got what I meant. Apologies.

Yeah I get the government part now tbf, he wasn’t clear to begin with and after the replies to my post neither was I it seems although you kind of got what I meant. Apologies.
    To be fair, I was a bit confused by your first post too. Was only after your reply that I got what you meant.

Again. You’re trying to put words in my mouth. Want to stop it?

A country of... how many million? But just list the bad guys? That’s what I meant by it. Not that I need to and I don’t know why I am after being pressured to by you.

Im not doing anything of the kind.

You said you weren't accusing him of Islamophobia (which I accept), so I simply asked you what it was you actually meant, as it wasn't clear.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    No way. They where about to finally get rid of fat Mike and be owned by the richest people in the world.

Why would they be sitting delighted?
    I for one would hate for us to become a plastic franchise, a mere toy for some oil rich madman, basically buying titles and glory and ripping the heart and soul out of a traditionally working class club - case in point Man City - with plastic ‘supporters’ dotted all over the world

Get that so far to ****
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I cannae really be arsed with the Newcastle fans moaning about Mike Ashley. Is it Mike Ashley’s fault that they spent £40m on a striker who cannae score?

There’s almost a kind of entitlement complex with Newcastle fans, like they think they deserve to be up the top of the league...they dinnae. It’s like Hearts fans, they think they’re right up there with the biggest teams in the country...they’re no.
    You echo my thoughts on them totally. It's laughable the bleating from them about the club being dead to them, Bury fans know the reality of that. They have a sense of entitlement like no other set of fans.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar

The point is that the crown prince of Saudi Arabia is directly involved with the group attempting the Newcastle takeover.

I agree with you that football club owners (or anyone else) shouldn't generally be held accountable for their government's actions, but in this case it literally is the government.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I for one would hate for us to become a plastic franchise, a mere toy for some oil rich madman, basically buying titles and glory and ripping the heart and soul out of a traditionally working class club - case in point Man City - with plastic ‘supporters’ dotted all over the world

Get that so far to ****
    Agree 100%.

Left by mutual consent!
    That’s a pretty damaging condemnation of a country of
    What again?
    The ruling family of the House of Saud has as the main antagonist, so-called Crown Prince Bin Salman. He is the head of the state investment fund that wanted to buy majority ownership in Newcastle. He also gave the order (amongst many) to kill enemies of the state such as Khashoggi, a Washington Post journalist, who was butchered in the Saudi embassy in Istanbul.

The ideological creed, Wahabism, that props up their regime is, yes, only supported by a minority of their citizens, but it's still about 40 per cent. It does mean their own people are oppressed, women, Shi'a, Christians and other minorities.

The fact that the owner of Newcastle was going to be a murderer was saying a lot about our society too, when broadcasting rights of the EPL, likely held more sway than human ones.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm a bit confused by your comment.

Are you accusing the poster of Islamophobia?

Their are a significant number of scholars across the board in Islam who do not accept the Wahabism of Bin Salman and his family as Muslim. Otherwise, I'm Islamophobic too, because I hate their version of Islam.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    Literally none of that is true, good effort tho.
    If you say so. I don't care if you think it's true or not

In my opinion - Newcastle are a mid table side, at best. No really good players really want to go up and play in Newcastle unless they're having silly money thrown at them to do it. And why would they? Newcastle aren't a Man Utd or Liverpool or Arsenal, yeah they had a bit of success in the 90's when they were chucking more money about than other teams, but they stopped doing that and found their level. Unless they find someone else to buy the club who's willing to throw money at them like Chelsea and Man City have had, then they'll remain a mid table club generally.

Aye their fans are passionate, but so what? So are Evertons. So are Villas. So are West Hams.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allan Key View Post
    The ruling family of the House of Saud has as the main antagonist, so-called Crown Prince Bin Salman. He is the head of the state investment fund that wanted to buy majority ownership in Newcastle. He also gave the order (amongst many) to kill enemies of the state such as Khashoggi, a Washington Post journalist, who was butchered in the Saudi embassy in Istanbul.

The ideological creed, Wahabism, that props up their regime is, yes, only supported by a minority of their citizens, but it's still about 40 per cent. It does mean their own people are oppressed, women, Shi'a, Christians and other minorities.

The fact that the owner of Newcastle was going to be a murderer was saying a lot about our society too, when broadcasting rights of the EPL, likely held more sway than human ones.

Yes it’s a disgusting poisonous religious ideology and it’s spread with the backing of Saudi petrodollars has caused enormous misery.
    However the EPL is awash with Chinese, Russian, Emirati and Qatari money and drawing a distinction between the club ‘owners’ and the respective ruling thugs in these states is impossible. Putin had the last say on the Chelsea deal (as he does on everything in Russia), the rulers of Dubai on the Man City deal, Chinese gov the same etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allan Key View Post
    Their are a significant number of scholars across the board in Islam who do not accept the Wahabism of Bin Salman and his family as Muslim. Otherwise, I'm Islamophobic too, because I hate their version of Islam.

I think ALL organised religions are a load of b*ll*cks, so that probably makes me even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    If you say so. I don't care if you think it's true or not

In my opinion - Newcastle are a mid table side, at best. No really good players really want to go up and play in Newcastle unless they're having silly money thrown at them to do it. And why would they? Newcastle aren't a Man Utd or Liverpool or Arsenal, yeah they had a bit of success in the 90's when they were chucking more money about than other teams, but they stopped doing that and found their level. Unless they find someone else to buy the club who's willing to throw money at them like Chelsea and Man City have had, then they'll remain a mid table club generally.

Aye their fans are passionate, but so what? So are Evertons. So are Villas. So are West Hams.
    Chucking money about? I think you need to look up and see what keegan spent on a team that came so close to winning the league in 95. Do some research before spouting garbage.

Get that so far to ****
    The soul has been ripped out by ashley, its just being used as a sports direct advertising vehicle and there's no ambition shown or connection with the fans whatsoever.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Chucking money about? I think you need to look up and see what keegan spent on a team that came so close to winning the league in 95. Do some research before spouting garbage.
    OK, so I've done some research, and I stand by what I said.

https://www.football365.com/news/the...w-they-fared-2

Biggest Spenders in the EPL per year -

95/96 - Newcastle...finished 2nd
    96/97 - Newcastle...finished 2nd
    97/98 - Newcastle - finished 13th

So, that'll be me proved right then?

Given the money being ploughed in to the biggest clubs in England, in an attempt to either win the league or qualify for the 'Champions League', it's amazing to think that Blackburn achieved something similar using Jack Walker's investment in the 90s.

In comparison to the people that have invested in Manchester City, Chelsea and others, Walker would be a pauper.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty
    Biggest Spenders in the EPL per year -

95/96 - Newcastle...finished 2nd
    96/97 - Newcastle...finished 2nd
    97/98 - Newcastle - finished 13th

So, that'll be me proved right then?
    Fair play digging out the info .. but doesn’t give the full picture.

95/96 was money spent from the sale of Andy Cole £6.5m to Man Utd, and was spent on Ferdinand and Ginola. Asprilla is what skewed it (although that wasn’t until late February) and was only possible after the sale of Ruel Fox to Spurs provided the majority of the funds.

96/97 simple answer .. Alan Shearer. Had to break transfer records in order to bring him “home”. Keegan’s only signing that season.

97/98 Not Keegan’s era, so not sure you can use it in response to post about Keegan signings .. but ..
    Tomasson £2.5m and Pistone £4.5m the big close season signings, only possible after the sale of Ferdinand £6m. Gary Speed £5.5m wasn’t signed until February, and only possible after the January sale of Asprilla for £6m.

So some expensive signings, which I agree made Newcastle biggest spenders, but only possible due to some expensive transfers in the opposite direction.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Left by mutual consent!
    Im not doing anything of the kind.

You said you weren't accusing him of Islamophobia (which I accept), so I simply asked you what it was you actually meant, as it wasn't clear.
    Sound mate 👍

Left by mutual consent!

Get that so far to ****
    As would I. It’s all about keeping up with the rest though. We don’t need that **** to be the third best club in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Spot on

I’ve had some amazing trips in Europe with Newcastle. Feyenoord away is up there on my list of best games ever (all behind the Scottish Cup final of course).
    In my 50 years of watching football they've spent 11 years outside the top league and haven't won anything.

I know fans have a different take, but I don't understand the hate for Ashley - he seems to me to have provided managers with boat loads of cash - they just haven't spent it very well. From afar, it seems strange - but I must be missing something because, as you say, it seems like all the fans want rid of him. I think you need to be local to understand the ups and downs of it all.

But do Newcastle fans not sometimes look at local rivals like Sunderland and Middlesborough and think they're not doing too badly?

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    In my 50 years of watching football they've spent 11 years outside the top league and haven't won anything.
    Certainly can’t call us glory hunters ..

...unless you count the Intertoto plaque?

he seems to me to have provided managers with boat loads of cash - they just haven't spent it very well. From afar, it seems strange - but I must be missing something
    Missing lots, but as you say easy to miss from afar.
    If you take the last 5 seasons transfer dealings you will see that very little has been spent in terms of income (league money, transfer money and 50k fans each home game).
    The last half a dozen transfer windows have usually involved “takeover speculation” which has been a convenient way of Ashley avoiding expensive transfers. Joelinton has probably been the exception to the rule.
    You are correct though, we’ve spent some ridiculous amounts on big name flops. It was Ashley that put a stop to that and introduced a wage structure that probably prevents our ability to ever buy big again.

Transfer spends aside, there has been the manager/boardroom issues with people like Dennis Wise, Kinnear, etc. coming in and showing complete disrespect to the supporters.

About the only thing I could give Ashley credit for is his ticket pricing. My season ticket works out at around £435, which is only fractionally more expensive than my Hibs one.

But do Newcastle fans not sometimes look at local rivals like Sunderland and Middlesborough and think they're not doing too badly?
    Not really. Sunderland might be in serious trouble just now but prior to them dropping out the Premiership they had the upper hand in the derbies. Prior to Ashley coming in we definitely had the upper hand when it came to derbies.

In my 40 odd years of supporting Newcastle I’ve never really expected to win anything. The closest I came to thinking that was the UEFA Cup in 2003/4 when I thought we were in with a real chance. Unfortunately Marseille and Drogba put paid to that in the away leg of the semi-final.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Really good podcast on the subject https://open.spotify.com/episode/1De...Rru7oROtMSny-Q

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I know fans have a different take, but I don't understand the hate for Ashley - he seems to me to have provided managers with boat loads of cash - they just haven't spent it very well. From afar, it seems strange - but I must be missing something because, as you say, it seems like all the fans want rid of him. I think you need to be local to understand the ups and downs of it all.

Newcastle were possibly weeks away from going to the wall when Ashley came in. Freddy Shepherd had bought into the kind of finance model that sent Leeds and Bolton into jeopardy.

I know the fans hate him, largely because of some crass decisions and bizarre behaviour, but it’s not been all bad. I think sacking Keegan and employing his cockney advisors was the turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    Yes it’s a disgusting poisonous religious ideology and it’s spread with the backing of Saudi petrodollars has caused enormous misery.
    However the EPL is awash with Chinese, Russian, Emirati and Qatari money and drawing a distinction between the club ‘owners’ and the respective ruling thugs in these states is impossible. Putin had the last say on the Chelsea deal (as he does on everything in Russia), the rulers of Dubai on the Man City deal, Chinese gov the same etc. etc.
    If you are going to spout bollox with conspiracy theories, please try and get your facts (almost) right. Also try and get your grammar right. Their should be no apostrophy in "its spread".

Dubai have bugger all to do with Manchester City and never had.

Scotland are hardly in a position to pontificate about poisonous religious ideology as no country in the world has been more afflicted with religious bigotry in football.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    If you are going to spout bollox with conspiracy theories, please try and get your facts (almost) right. Also try and get your grammar right. Their should be no apostrophy in "its spread".

Dubai have bugger all to do with Manchester City and never had.

Scotland are hardly in a position to pontificate about poisonous religious ideology as no country in the world has been more afflicted with religious bigotry in football.
    Whilst you'll want to brush up on the spelling of "apostrophe".....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Whilst you'll want to brush up on the spelling of "apostrophe".....
    And the difference between their and there.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    And the difference between their and there.
    Can I throw in the spelling of "bollocks"? 😆