Boyle
    Newell
    Gogic
    Allan
    Wright

Nisbet
    Doidge
    Likely.

Good team. May end up with Doig/Stevenson in for D’oidge with Boyle shifting to striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

4-3-3

Rocky

McGinn/Gray
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Mallan
    Gogic
    Allan

Boyle
    Nisbet
    Wright

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boyle was absolutely top class at right wing back in 2018. Not worried about him at all.
    Agreed, I think it may be his best position. He does a pretty good job in defense

Seems to be a consensus that Josh Doig is in the running to start - I for one am going to be really disappointed when he inevitably ends up signing for Arbroath on loan for the rest of the season.

I’m pretty sure we’ll play three at the back and McGinn and Porteous will make up two of those three.

If Doidge isn’t fit enough to start I think Boyle will play up front with Nisbet, with Wright at wing back.

Middle of the park picks itself IMO.

I’d play Doig but I think we’ll play Stevenson.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Marciano

Jackson
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Allan
    Gogic
    Newell
    Doig

Doidge
    Nisbet

I’m really hoping to see Newell and gogic at the base of midfield. Newell set piece delivery could be the difference

@hibs.net private member
    I see our recent record with Beaton as the ref is played six W1 D1 L4. Hope we balance that up a bit on Saturday.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Opening day. Go out and get at them! Gon the cabbage!!

Going by Jack Ross’ interview on YouTube Doidge has missed a fair chunk of pre season and only played 45 minutes. With that in mind I think we will start with 4232

.......................Marciano...................

McGinn.......McGregor.....Porteous......Stevenson. ....

................Gogic..........Newell.........

Boyle..................Allan..............Wright.. ....

........................Nisbet............

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Going by Jack Ross’ interview on YouTube Doidge has missed a fair chunk of pre season and only played 45 minutes. With that in mind I think we will start with 4232

Might not be far off with the formation going with the personnel we have.

Daz and Porty in the same back 4 would not be wise.

This but young Doig in for Lewis unfortunately

Gray and doig full backs the rest is spot on.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Marciano

Mcginn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Wright
    Allan
    Gogic
    Newell
    Doig

Boyle
    Nisbet

I thought we might have gone for a 433 this season but if Doidge hasn’t played all pre-season and Ross is wanting to play a 3-5-2 then I think we’ll go with the above.

Personnel won’t be far away from. Only difference might be Hanlon for McGregor.

But I think we’ll be three at the back. If Doidge isn’t fit I think Boyle will play up top with Wright at wing back.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 31-07-2020 at 09:36 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Daz and Porty in the same back 4 would not be wise.
    Don't want to think about that, left side would be a nightmare and no passing from the back.

I actually thought Porteous had improved massively with his passing and was starting to play out from the back a lot, playing quite clever passes - sometimes trying to be too clever.

I’m also not one for defenders trying to be too clever, Efe is the exception as he was a genius. But centre backs should give the ball to the better players, simple 5 yard pass into someone like Newell in the middle of the park is all they need to do.

I don’t know when defenders started thinking their role was to play the Scott Allan pass from centre half. Let the good players play.

The good thing is Boyle and Wright will give us real width, stretch the game and be an out ball for us so Newell etc can change pay quickly. McGinn will also motor forward with Gogic dropping in for cover.

Also if anyone expects Gogic to get on the ball and dictate play I think they’ll be bitterly disappointed. He will always do the simple pass but knows his role inside out, give it to the best players who can hurt the opposition, be a leader and do the dirty/defensive work.

Hopefully we pick up 3 points and give Kilmarnock a bit of a hiding to get the confidence up early. A goal for Nisbet would be huge and relieve a lot of pressure for him.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 31-07-2020 at 09:59 PM.

I actually thought Porteous had improved massively with his passing and was starting to play out from the back a lot, playing quite clever passes - sometimes trying to be too clever.

I’m also not one for defenders trying to be too clever, Efe is the exception as he was a genius. But centre backs should give the ball to the better players, simple 5 yard pass into someone like Newell in the middle of the park is all they need to do.

I don’t know when defenders started thinking their role was to play the Scott Allan pass from centre half. Let the good players play.

The good thing is Boyle and Wright will give us real width, stretch the game and be an out ball for us so Newell etc can change pay quickly. McGinn will also motor forward with Gogic dropping in for cover.

Also if anyone expects Gogic to get on the ball and dictate play I think they’ll be bitterly disappointed. He will always do the simple pass but knows his role inside out, give it to the best players who can hurt the opposition, be a leader and do the dirty/defensive work.

Hopefully we pick up 3 points and give Kilmarnock a bit of a hiding to get the confidence up early. A goal for Nisbet would be huge and relieve a lot of pressure for him.
    No offence but that sounds like Terry Butcher. He turned out defenders into players that were scared too pass. Every single player should be good with their feet. Including the goalie.

4232, yea lets go with that formation and hope the ref doesn't notice the extra player on the pitch.

Seriously though, 4231/433/451 won't be too far off but I'd expect to see Hanlon in instead of McGregor.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    No offence but that sounds like Terry Butcher. He turned out defenders into players that were scared too pass. Every single player should be good with their feet. Including the goalie.

I think it’s the opposite, I’m saying our centre half a should keep it simple and give it to the centre midfielders in-front of them and let them play. We need to retain possession a lot better and for longer periods imo so we can camp teams in and make them work to get the ball back.

Completely agree they should all be comfortable with their feet, but it’s having the knowledge when to play and how to use the ball smartly. Also it’s hard to play out from the back when Marciano is horrible with the ball at his feet.

Terry Butcher never done that, he had them sending 60 yard passes to wingers or up to the striker, something I can’t stand to watch. He had Nelson thinking he could zing a ball like Beckham but instead it would instantly gift possession back to the opposition.

As a team we seem to concede very very sloppy goals and seem to gift them to the opposition which we need to eradicate. We need to play in the right areas of the pitch.

There is a time and place for the passing however and at times the defenders need to know when it’s not safe and to play it long. In this league not many teams will press us that high up the pitch with the exception of the old firm, times like that you need to be a bit more street wise. You see it in the Prem when teams like Norwich concede against Liverpool’s by their centre half’s thinking they can play around their own box.

The friendly on Monday against Celtic was the prime example. Jackson played a sloppy pass to Hallberg on the edge of the box, he slipped and Celtic got the ball and scored.

Hanlon, McGregor, Hanlon and even Fontaine’s job was made a lot easier as they had guys like McGeouch, Fyvie and McGinn that would drop deep to get in it and play.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 31-07-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I doubt Doidge will start. He has not kicked a ball in any of the friendlies. It’s more likely Horgan will be up front alongside Nisbet. He has apparently looked impressive through the middle in the pre season kickabouts

Team a recon will be -

Marciano

Mcginn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Gogic

Allan
    Newall
    Wright

Boyle
    Nesbit

Quote Originally Posted by Thomo2016 View Post
    I doubt Doidge will start. He has not kicked a ball in any of the friendlies. It’s more likely Horgan will be up front alongside Nisbet. He has apparently looked impressive through the middle in the pre season kickabouts
    Doidge played against St Mirren but hasn't played since. I think:

Marciano

McGinn
    Porto
    McGregor
    Doig

Gogic
    Allan
    Newell
    Boyle
    Wright

Nesbit

Gray could be pushing McGinn for a place in the team though.

Doidge is injured apparently and won't play.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fou...-1596213930000

Of course I've stuck him down as first goalscorer in the competition thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Marciano

Mcginn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Wright
    Allan
    Gogic
    Newell
    Doig

Boyle
    Nisbet

I thought we might have gone for a 433 this season but if Doidge hasn’t played all pre-season and Ross is wanting to play a 3-5-2 then I think we’ll go with the above.

I think this will be pretty close tbh. Maybe Boyle for Gullan. Tricky to fit all the pacy players into the side now. Horgan also has done really well in the pre games and will be pushing for a place.

As much as I’d like to, I just can’t see Doig starting.

Only turned 18 in May and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us loan him out to a championship team with the view to him starting for us next season.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Only turned 18 in May and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us loan him out to a championship team with the view to him starting for us next season.
    His age shouldn’t matter imo, if he’s good enough he should be in the side. We shouldn’t hold him back just because he’s young.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    His age shouldn’t matter imo, if he’s good enough he should be in the side. We shouldn’t hold him back just because he’s young.
    I completely agree and I think this is the ideal time to bed him in, I’m just not sure why but I can’t see him starting today and would be pleasantly surprised if he did.

Now is the perfect chance to see if he can handle it IMO.

I hope he’s not another player who were talking about in 2 or 3 years as needing a loan or not having enough games for his age.