hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

Backup Goalkeeper

It seems to me we've gone from having an over abundance of talent between the sticks to now having solely Rocky and Dabrowski.

Now I don't know anything about Dabrowski really so idea if he could step up if Rocky had another injury or, perhaps more pressingly, if we saw Rocky move on given he is entering the final year of his contract I believe.

Thoughts? FWIW I don't necessarily see Rocky moving to Celtic, as some appear to be suggesting: he has flirted with Rangers in the press in the past and I think he'd prefer a move to Ibrox.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Dabrowski is 22 now, if he isn't ready to be back up now then it's debatable he ever will be. The days of keepers being left out of the firing line and called babies until their mid 20s are long gone, bigger clubs than us have gone with young keepers in recent years and seen the rewards.

It could be that circumstances have forced our hand but I'm glad to see us have a young goalkeeper in and around the 1st team squad. It's been far too long since that was the case.

@hibs.net private member
    I remember Lennon giving laidlaw the jersey when rocky wasn’t at his best, I’m sure people were putting the lack of form down to lack of competition, hope that doesn’t happen again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dabrowski is 22 now, if he isn't ready to be back up now then it's debatable he ever will be. The days of keepers being left out of the firing line and called babies until their mid 20s are long gone, bigger clubs than us have gone with young keepers in recent years and seen the rewards.

It could be that circumstances have forced our hand but I'm glad to see us have a young goalkeeper in and around the 1st team squad. It's been far too long since that was the case.
    It's a fair point. By way of reference Chris Reid would have been about 21/22 when he got the nod ahead of Burridge and had a good run in the first team and did well from what I can remember. Reid was unlucky in that the club then signed Jim Leighton and I was a bit surprised he stayed put having had a taste of the No 1 Jersey, before eventually going on to Stirling Albion about four years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    I remember Lennon giving laidlaw the jersey when rocky wasn’t at his best, I’m sure people were putting the lack of form down to lack of competition, hope that doesn’t happen again this year.
    Another good point - Rocky does seem to thrive when he has competition

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Kevin’s an excellent goalie, I just think he needs to be playing every week at his age. Sitting on the bench isn’t going to help his development

How did he get on at Cowdenbeath?

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    How did he get on at Cowdenbeath?
    He did really well, but had to return early due to injury

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Kevin’s an excellent goalie, I just think he needs to be playing every week at his age. Sitting on the bench isn’t going to help his development
    You are probably right that he would benefit from playing. However we probably aren't in a position to be paying another senior goalkeeper a wage. It's up to Kevin to take the chances when he gets them, and he will get game time this season, and prove he deserves to play.

With Marcianos contract situation there is a real opportunity for him to stake a claim as our number 1 moving forward.

Should be playing cup ties to see how he gets on.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Aye would be good to see him get a chance in the League Cup games, he'll want that experience in case he's called upon for any spell in the league.

He’dhave to play in Betfred, as Rocky could be on international duty

Bring back Budgie. Rocky a near post disaster.

I'm not totally sold on Rocky, but I think we'll probably see a decent season from him this year as he'll be playing for a free transfer and tasty signing on fee at a bigger club next summer.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Not convinced by Rocky sign a better keeper

Give the young boy a chance

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Shame we let Bogdan go

I’m sure we’ll get an experienced back up in, let Kevin get a years experience playing somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Shame we let Bogdan go
    We never let him go, it was a short deal and he's back home to Hungary.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Dabrowski is a decent backup goalie and if we never give him the chance he'll never be able to take it. Start him in cup competitions and give him the opportunity to challenge Ofir for the jersey.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    We never let him go, it was a short deal and he's back home to Hungary.
    He'd never have left if he was first choice. He's a big loss and a better keeper than rocky every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    He'd never have left if he was first choice. He's a big loss and a better keeper than rocky every day of the week.
    Well, apart from Saturdays where Rocky was always picked ahead of him.

Well, apart from Saturdays where Rocky was always picked ahead of him.
    Bogdan won't lose too much sleep after all his appearances in the epl for Bolton and being signed by the biggest club in England.

Bogdan won't lose too much sleep after all his appearances in the epl for Bolton and being signed by the biggest club in England.
    Was he on Man Utd's books?

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Was he on Man Utd's books?
    😂

He was here to stay fit and act as backup, hence the short deal, we could never afford his wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    It's a fair point. By way of reference Chris Reid would have been about 21/22 when he got the nod ahead of Burridge and had a good run in the first team and did well from what I can remember. Reid was unlucky in that the club then signed Jim Leighton and I was a bit surprised he stayed put having had a taste of the No 1 Jersey, before eventually going on to Stirling Albion about four years later.
    I remember Reid being in really good form, but getting a bad injury during a game. I think it might have been an ACL. He never got another chance due to the quality ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    It seems to me we've gone from having an over abundance of talent between the sticks to now having solely Rocky and Dabrowski.

Now I don't know anything about Dabrowski really so idea if he could step up if Rocky had another injury or, perhaps more pressingly, if we saw Rocky move on given he is entering the final year of his contract I believe.

Thoughts? FWIW I don't necessarily see Rocky moving to Celtic, as some appear to be suggesting: he has flirted with Rangers in the press in the past and I think he'd prefer a move to Ibrox.
    We have 3 keepers. That’s plenty.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    If we’re desperate we can use the emergency loan market.

Yeah, his Wiki page is terrific.

I actually really rate Bogdan, he may well be better than Rocky but its got nothing to do with playing for Bolton years ago. Both very solid goalies, especially at this level. Wont waste time comparing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I remember Reid being in really good form, but getting a bad injury during a game. I think it might have been an ACL. He never got another chance due to the quality ahead of him.
    Iirc Reid only played 1 game in the entire time Jim Leighton was with us. A 4-0 defeat at home to Celtic, Leighton was sent off the week before at Motherwell (Andy Millen played in goals and we drew 1-1).

He played a few games in the season we were relegated but wasn't great. I think his last ever game would have been a 6-2 defeat at Motherwell. Duffy was sacked, Billy McNeill picked Gottskalkson for the next game (a 3-0 defeat at Pittodrie) then McLeish was appointed and promptly signed Bryan Gunn. Gunn wasn't brilliant either. The goalkeeping position was a huge reason we went down that year and probably proved, for anyone who hadn't realised in the preceding seasons, just how good Leighton was for us.