hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar

Australian hibbies

just read the piece on squirrel and the 33 kangaroo cut outs bought by australian hibs club. My bro lives in adelaide...neither me or him knew of such a club till now. Anyone know where they are based?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant...cheers! 👍👍
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    just read the piece on squirrel and the 33 kangaroo cut outs bought by australian hibs club. My bro lives in adelaide...neither me or him knew of such a club till now. Anyone know where they are based?
    As you would expect, we are Here, there and every xxxx where!

We have members all over Oz and even a few lost souls in New Zealand.

There's a You Tube still up of the Australian HIbs in Melbourne celebrating the cup final win which shouldn't be too hard to find, and we all get together on our dedicated Facebook Group page on a Daily Basis to spout psish to each other

That is under "Äustralian & NZ Hibs Supporters" on Facebook,so if your brother goes there, we'd be delighted to add him to our growing band....there have been a few additions since the kangaroos went viral

Incidentally we have been in existence for 33 years now......that works out at 1 kangaroo per year

I'll alert Sproule Three and he might be along to give some other precise details about the Facebook page and joining...I dinnae really understand all this interweb stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLkGJikRDOM

Link for the final moments of the 2016 Scottish Cup final in Melbourne.

Cheers Fred, any excuse to watch this again!

K

First Team Regular Sproule Three's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer View Post

K
    Thankfully you were in that vid rather than travelling over with us .
    Wouldn’t have happened otherwise 😉

Although it was a long time ago I have great admiration for the stuff Oz Hibs and Fred, in particular do. As a young lad, a long way from home in 1995, Fred took time to meet up with me in Sydney (I'm pretty certain I wrote to him in advance before leaving home to arrange!) and I think he took me to a Marconi game, though memories are hazy.

I also recall playing (briefly) in some kind of ex-pat football day out in Melbourne. I have a badge which says it was the Waverley City Soccer Club on the 12th November 1995.

Prize possession are 2 beer Huggies with the Oz Hibs logo on them. Not had much use out of them in the years since due to lack of sunny days but they are good reminders of good people.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Although it was a long time ago I have great admiration for the stuff Oz Hibs and Fred, in particular do. As a young lad, a long way from home in 1995, Fred took time to meet up with me in Sydney (I'm pretty certain I wrote to him in advance before leaving home to arrange!) and I think he took me to a Marconi game, though memories are hazy.

I also recall playing (briefly) in some kind of ex-pat football day out in Melbourne. I have a badge which says it was the Waverley City Soccer Club on the 12th November 1995.

Prize possession are 2 beer Huggies with the Oz Hibs logo on them. Not had much use out of them in the years since due to lack of sunny days but they are good reminders of good people.
    Going to a Marconi game was usual punishment for visiting backpackers back then.......good days indeed!

Terrific stuff guys...got the pm now with details on how my bro can join. Safe to say the hibs flag flying from his house in adelaide will be flapping loud and proud today! 😁😁😁
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post

Sorry, meant to add..the badge you have would be from what was called The U.K. cup and was an annual tournament for supporters clubs of U K teams.

Obviously We won it that year, and I contributed to our victory by staying away!

Appreciate your kind words, and gee whizz....when I thought about it, it was 25 years ago!

25 years?.....where did our lives go....😂

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer View Post

K
    Always enjoy watching it...wish someone had stayed sober enough to film us in the Pyrmont Bridge in Sydney, where the Sydney mob congregated for it.

Good to see the emotional response by you all.

Never seen Peter H. Cry so much since they over cooked his steak in the Marconi Club restaurant😂😂😂

Fred and his fellow Hibernians invited Jimmy O and his wife Ann over to Australia a number of years ago.
    The Branch has invited a number of former players over the years
    Jimmy still talks of the wonderful time and experiences they had
    No expense was spared
    The Boys and girls out there laid out the red carpet for them
    Staying and speaking at dinners in 3 Cities (i think it was)
    One night i was sitting watching telly (nae beer vouchers that day)
    Anyway the phone rings
    Its Brother James checking in

?
    What ye up tae, Michael?,
    Awe just watching an old Randolph Scott movie..
    Skint the night .
    What are you up to, James ?
    Awe Nothing much he says .
    Just sitting on a boat with a few glasses going under Sydney Harbour Bridge,viewing The wonderful Opera House wae oor cousins and some of the Hibs guys here

Certainly made my night !!
    Fred ,you and the branch did organise Jimmy a wonderful stay that was at times very emotional for him.

They absolutely loved the experience and catching up with old friends and relatives(Carol and Jimmy Hathaway)

Carol McCraw,our cousin fae Piershill and Jimmy fae Fleshmarket Close
    A pal o mine in may youth

Well done Fred on the cut outs
    There could be a hundred and three by next week
    Dont these guys breed like rabbits

Great that Sudds now has a connection to the Branch
    See you at Hampden !!

Glory ! Glory!!

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Always enjoy watching it...wish someone had stayed sober enough to film us in the Pyrmont Bridge in Sydney, where the Sydney mob congregated for it.

Good to see the emotional response by you all.

Never seen Peter H. Cry so much since they over cooked his steak in the Marconi Club restaurant������
    Just glad there’s no footage from the 2004 CIS Cup Final

As a 23 year old backpacker it was just my luck to pick the year Hibs would reach a Cup Final to be travelling round-the-world. I still recall waking up a number of slumbering Chinese people in a 24 hour Internet cafe in Melbourne’s Chinatown with my shouting and screaming at the end of the semi final penalty shoot out!

I was in contact with a number of the Hibs fans in Australia before my trip commenced, and had enjoyed a good night out in Perth with a number of the guys in WA. I recall John Linn was quite instrumental in getting Setanta to show the Cup Final in Australia, although there was a cost attached, and an hour time delay - ultimately we (about 30 of us in total if I recall correctly, from as far away as Brisbane) all paid something like $25 each to watch it at the Celtic Club in Melbourne and Sir Tom Farmer generously agreed to pick up the tab for the remainder. I actually reminded Sir Tom of this at the Shareholders AGM a couple of years ago and had the chance to thank him personallly.

We all enjoyed a good afternoon at South Melbourne v Marconi Stallions in what was the precursor to the A League and then a few drinks and dinner. Bear in mind the Cup Final would have been about a 02:00 kick off if shown live in Melbourne so it was a 03:00 start. We’d all agreed to switch phones off so it would be like we’d be watching it live, but a few of the lads were a bit worse for wear by that stage in proceedings and when some boys started to leave after about 15 minutes we knew something was wrong.

The rest, as they say, is history - it was actually my last night in Melbourne so I drunkenly stumbled back to my hostel at about 06:00, did my packing and headed straight to the airport to fly to Tasmania. Low and behold on opening my backpack in Tassie I found a black bra - in my drunken stupor I’d managed to scoop up the bra belonging to the German girl in the bunk above me. I really hope she hasn’t had an impression of Hibs fans as perverts from that day to this

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Just glad there’s no footage from the 2004 CIS Cup Final

As a 23 year old backpacker it was just my luck to pick the year Hibs would reach a Cup Final to be travelling round-the-world. I still recall waking up a number of slumbering Chinese people in a 24 hour Internet cafe in Melbourne’s Chinatown with my shouting and screaming at the end of the semi final penalty shoot out!

I was in contact with a number of the Hibs fans in Australia before my trip commenced, and had enjoyed a good night out in Perth with a number of the guys in WA. I recall John Linn was quite instrumental in getting Setanta to show the Cup Final in Australia, although there was a cost attached, and an hour time delay - ultimately we (about 30 of us in total if I recall correctly, from as far away as Brisbane) all paid something like $25 each to watch it at the Celtic Club in Melbourne and Sir Tom Farmer generously agreed to pick up the tab for the remainder. I actually reminded Sir Tom of this at the Shareholders AGM a couple of years ago and had the chance to thank him personallly.

We all enjoyed a good afternoon at South Melbourne v Marconi Stallions in what was the precursor to the A League and then a few drinks and dinner. Bear in mind the Cup Final would have been about a 02:00 kick off if shown live in Melbourne so it was a 03:00 start. We’d all agreed to switch phones off so it would be like we’d be watching it live, but a few of the lads were a bit worse for wear by that stage in proceedings and when some boys started to leave after about 15 minutes we knew something was wrong.

The rest, as they say, is history - it was actually my last night in Melbourne so I drunkenly stumbled back to my hostel at about 06:00, did my packing and headed straight to the airport to fly to Tasmania. Low and behold on opening my backpack in Tassie I found a black bra - in my drunken stupor I’d managed to scoop up the bra belonging to the German girl in the bunk above me. I really hope she hasn’t had an impression of Hibs fans as perverts from that day to this
    Remember the Livi final, I flew down from Sydney for it.

Or I should say.....nearly remember....I suffered erm, a nasty tummy bug that necessitated my removal to the dunny where I lay prostrate getting text updates live from Tom Anderson who had flown over for the game.

The result made me quite ill, and I believe some enterprising photographer captured the scenevfor posterity