hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough hstn747's Avatar

NHC - The Joy of Going to Football Matches with your Grandpa and his Friends

A friend I go to the Scotland games with had his article picked up by the Guardian.

Thought it might strike a chord with some on here

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/21/the-joy-of-going-to-football-matches-with-your-grandpa-and-his-friends

2. Log in to remove the advert

None of his friends ever went with us but my Grandad took me to a lot of my earliest games.

He was a Hearts Fan, so we eventually settled on going to watch Scotland youth matches and friendlies.

I remember watching Scotland U18s at Easter Road and Paul McStay stood out a mile. Everybody could see he would turn out to be a great player.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I went to a lot of games with my Granda. He was a Hibbie, but we'd often go to Tynie.

One game that sticks out for me was at Muirton Park; it was something important, but I can't remember what. We left early, as we were getting beat; I think Stanton had been sent off.

As we're leaving, we got some verbals from some Saints fans. My Granda bites back with words that stayed with me for ever..... "see that Alex Macdonald, he's the dirtiest bloody player in Scottish fitba'"

He wasny wrong

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    My youngest daughter started coming with me to ER when she was 8. 25 years later my grandaughter goes with me now. Educate them early...thats my motto 😁😁
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to a lot of games with my Granda. He was a Hibbie, but we'd often go to Tynie.

One game that sticks out for me was at Muirton Park; it was something important, but I can't remember what. We left early, as we were getting beat; I think Stanton had been sent off.

As we're leaving, we got some verbals from some Saints fans. My Granda bites back with words that stayed with me for ever..... "see that Alex Macdonald, he's the dirtiest bloody player in Scottish fitba'"

He wasny wrong
    Lol. Nice little story. It’s funny the things we remember.

Educated me this one - hadn’t realised he started out at Saints ....