hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thoughts are with you and the family, Steve
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Deepest condolences, Steve. 55 is so young. Best wishes to you and your family at this tragic time.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    So so sorry for your and your family’s loss.

RIP.

Love and strength to you, your Family and all who have lost Steve.

RIP.

@hibs.net private member wandering_hibee's Avatar
    Deepest condolences to you. What a lovely wee moving story that we normally never hear, thank you for sharing.

Awful for you bud. Be strong for your brother. HFC.

So sorry to hear this sad news. Thinking of all the family at this difficult time.

Awful sad news, love to all his friends and family

To the Angel's high above 💚

@hibs.net private member
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the messages, they do help. I had considered asking for a tribute message to be played when we were next allowed into Easter Rd but I wouldn`t be able to hear it where i sit in the FF Upper

Obviously the highlight of his time supporting Hibs was the Scottish Cup win but he was equally proud and happy that he had once started a chant of "Hail Hail, the Hibs are here" at the old away end of Tynecastle - it may have even been the Gordon Hunter game.

And some of you may have even seen him play with his Ramones tribute band called The Remains a few years ago.

Thanks again

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Awful news Steve. 💚 Take care.

So sorry to hear this Steve. His memory goes marching on. RIP.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    My thoughts are with you pal

Ah, such horrible news for you all Steve. My best to your family.

Very sad. 55 is much to young. R.I.P.

Hi all, I wanted to follow up on this thread with some additional background on how my dad started following Hibs. I'm Irish Steve's nephew and the eldest of my dad's five sons. Coincidentally and bizarrely in the circumstances, about a month ago I put a journalist pal of mine in touch with my dad for a piece he was doing about the Hands off Hibs takeover. His perspective on becoming a Hibs supporter in 1990 was pretty unique- you can read his wee contribution here:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-years-2875309

(My dad assured me that this was very much a sanitised version of what he said, and that his interview originally had far more swearing and unflattering descriptions of FTB Mercer .

When I was born, we actually lived in Gorgie. Dad came over to Scotland from Northern Ireland, and knew that he didn't want to support either of the Old Firm, but other than that essentially had no allegiance to any particular team. After spending a short time amongst the Jambos, and hearing their 1980s songbook, he knew that he definitely couldn't support them either!)

Thinking about it today, this decision by my dad 30 years ago has contributed to at least 12 long term season ticket holders in our family over the years, with plenty more on the way. I'm looking forward to taking my 3 year old to Easter Road when he's ready, but know that I'm going to be in floods of tears when we do get back. Cheers to everybody here for the kind wishes- I'm so grateful to my wonderful dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenriz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi all, I wanted to follow up on this thread with some additional background on how my dad started following Hibs. I'm Irish Steve's nephew and the eldest of my dad's five sons. Coincidentally and bizarrely in the circumstances, about a month ago I put a journalist pal of mine in touch with my dad for a piece he was doing about the Hands off Hibs takeover. His perspective on becoming a Hibs supporter in 1990 was pretty unique- you can read his wee contribution here:

(My dad assured me that this was very much a sanitised version of what he said, and that his interview originally had far more swearing and unflattering descriptions of FTB Mercer .

When I was born, we actually lived in Gorgie. Dad came over to Scotland from Northern Ireland, and knew that he didn't want to support either of the Old Firm, but other than that essentially had no allegiance to any particular team. After spending a short time amongst the Jambos, and hearing their 1980s songbook, he knew that he definitely couldn't support them either!)

Thinking about it today, this decision by my dad 30 years ago has contributed to at least 12 long term season ticket holders in our family over the years, with plenty more on the way. I'm looking forward to taking my 3 year old to Easter Road when he's ready, but know that I'm going to be in floods of tears when we do get back. Cheers to everybody here for the kind wishes- I'm so grateful to my wonderful dad.
    That's a lovely message about your father, Fenriz. Clearly his influence has left a lasting impact on the club and will do for generations to come. All the best to you and your family.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenriz View Post

He wasn`t infallible tho, nephew. You were probably too young to remember but at the 93 League Cup Final he said "I know a short-cut to Celtic Park" That short-cut took us passed all the Rangers Supporters buses. There was us, resplendent in green walking by all the buses with the Huns looking at us in disbelief - they must have thought we had balls of steel but mine were up somewhere round my ear-lobes.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    He wasn`t infallible tho, nephew. You were probably too young to remember but at the 93 League Cup Final he said "I know a short-cut to Celtic Park" That short-cut took us passed all the Rangers Supporters buses. There was us, resplendent in green walking by all the buses with the Huns looking at us in disbelief - they must have thought we had balls of steel but mine were up somewhere round my ear-lobes.
    💚💚

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    This was a classic moment, I remember it well.

First Team Breakthrough
    Steve (and family )

It’s Robbie W here Bens brother, was gutted to hear this awful news last week, had many laughs with the big man over the years and always looked out for him at the highland away games and stood together, indeed he gave us a lift from Inverness to Dingwall and back a few times, also traveled on our bus a few times with his sons a while back. Caught his band a few times, great fun.

Will be sadly missed but not forgotten

Sending love and strength

Robbie

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Steve (and family )

It’s Robbie W here Bens brother, was gutted to hear this awful news last week, had many laughs with the big man over the years and always looked out for him at the highland away games and stood together, indeed he gave us a lift from Inverness to Dingwall and back a few times, also traveled on our bus a few times with his sons a while back. Caught his band a few times, great fun.

Will be sadly missed but not forgotten

Sending love and strength

Robbie
    Hi Robbie,

Sorry, just catching up on here - thanks for those kind words, he will be sorely missed