hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Here’s my take on it for what it’s worth.
    Hibs will have done there home work and decided that lets say 5 positions can be made redundant,and would have sent letters out explaining their plan and asked who if anyone would be willing to take redundancy.

Now maybe nobody wanted it so they then have to look at everybody and decide the best 5 to let go.

Or perhaps 20 people have indicated that they would be willing if the package was to their likening, so the club would then need to work out packages for them and take it from there.

I’m sure by law they would have to put the offer to all staff in the departments they are looking to cut but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Reach PLC (who own the Daily Record) are making 550 people redundant across their titles, which is genuinely a real shame for those involved and I don’t take joy in anyone losing their job. Will they still send one, two or more journalists to France in a couple of weeks to cover the Old Firm pre season tour? Absolutely.

I look forward to the same journalists who are outraged at what’s happening at Hibs taking a similar stance for their own colleagues when asked to go and watch PSG play Celtic.

If tams been made redundant then its not a huge surprise, he's been here years and must be near retirement. A nice big statutory lump sum redundancy payment must be great for him at this time of his life.

@hibs.net private member
    No idea if losing the kit man role is true - seems unlikely as the team will need a kit man (or woman)..if Tam loses his role, it can only be because someone else can kick up these activities ..

Every club must be going through these processes , or about to ..how come we seem to be the only ones being constantly bashed for it at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No idea if losing the kit man role is true - seems unlikely as the team will need a kit man (or woman)..if Tam loses his role, it can only be because someone else can kick up these activities

Maybe somebody else has just got a bigger washing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    No idea if losing the kit man role is true - seems unlikely as the team will need a kit man (or woman)..if Tam loses his role, it can only be because someone else can kick up these activities ..

Every club must be going through these processes , or about to ..how come we seem to be the only ones being constantly bashed for it at the moment?
    Don't need a kit man just now-players look after their own kit.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post
    Reach PLC (who own the Daily Record) are making 550 people redundant across their titles, which is genuinely a real shame for those involved and I don’t take joy in anyone losing their job. Will they still send one, two or more journalists to France in a couple of weeks to cover the Old Firm pre season tour? Absolutely.

I look forward to the same journalists who are outraged at what’s happening at Hibs taking a similar stance for their own colleagues when asked to go and watch PSG play Celtic.
    This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    If tams been made redundant then its not a huge surprise, he's been here years and must be near retirement. A nice big statutory lump sum redundancy payment must be great for him at this time of his life.
    There is no such thing as a nice big statutory redundancy payment I'm afraid. Statutory employment terms are by definition pretty poor which is why employment contracts are often based upon contractual terms whether that be sick pay or redundancy pay or whatever. There is also always the scope for paying enhanced terms over and above contractual entitlement but that's very much based upon the financial circumstances of the business

There's an awful lot of rubbish being talked on this thread (not by you I hasten to add!) by people who really don't know anything about employment practice. If there is a consultation going on regarding redundancies then this is a confidential matter between employers and employees and there is no right to know or requirement to communicate with any third party which would include us as Hibs fans.

And, as with any gutter tabloid story, what's been published is almost certainly a mix of half truths, speculation and downright nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    There is no such thing as a nice big statutory redundancy payment I'm afraid. Statutory employment terms are by definition pretty poor which is why employment contracts are often based upon contractual terms whether that be sick pay or redundancy pay or whatever. There is also always the scope for paying enhanced terms over and above contractual entitlement but that's very much based upon the financial circumstances of the business

There's an awful lot of rubbish being talked on this thread (not by you I hasten to add!) by people who really don't know anything about employment practice. If there is a consultation going on regarding redundancies then this is a confidential matter between employers and employees and there is no right to know or requirement to communicate with any third party which would include us as Hibs fans.

And, as with any gutter tabloid story, what's been published is almost certainly a mix of half truths, speculation and downright nonsense
    Exactly, folk going on about Hibs not telling us what’s going on, the club will tell us what’s happening once the consultation is over - I’m sure I read on here that it is up at some point this week. The articles in the sun and the record are just made up nothing articles speculating on what could happen in the guise of it being factual to get clicks. Chucking around figures like 70 redundancies and name dropping the kit man makes for a good story. The reality is that nobody outside of the club knows what’s happening

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    They are comparing apples and pears. The football budget is likely cut as well but will be ring fenced . We may have paid out a fee for Nisbet but I suspect we will sell players for as much if not a great deal more. The irony of the faux outrage in the press is that football, by it’s very nature, makes people redundant every year when they let players go quite often encouraged by the ‘fans with typewriters’

Other parts of the business will have it’s budgets and if that income stream is vastly reduced or non existant in a situation as extreme as a global pandemic then unfortunately some roles will be vulnerable. Again if we sell one of our players for £1m some of these funds could be diverted to other areas and save a few ‘nice to have’ roles at the club.

Forced redundancies are horrible, suffered it twice in my working life so far, but I think we owe it to Hibs to wait until the consultation process is complete and full facts of the business changes are known. I have a feeling Hibs will be doing things the right way unlike those frothing at the mouth in the media and on social media especially those who support the basket case that is Budge towers.
    Yes we have lost six first team wages from last season, Bogdan, Docherty, Omeonga, Slivka,McNulty and Whitaker, taking on three. Hardly a player spending spree. The transfer fee will be offset in some way when Kamberi is sold. Poor journalism as usual. Every full time club in Scotland will be making staff redundant which is sad.

Testimonial Due
    Big Tam should bring out his own autobiography, fly off the shelves. Can only imagine the things he’s seen in his time at hibs!

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Exactly, folk going on about Hibs not telling us what’s going on, the club will tell us what’s happening once the consultation is over - I’m sure I read on here that it is up at some point this week. The articles in the sun and the record are just made up nothing articles speculating on what could happen in the guise of it being factual to get clicks. Chucking around figures like 70 redundancies and name dropping the kit man makes for a good story. The reality is that nobody outside of the club knows what’s happening
    Nail on the head sir!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Don't need a kit man just now-players look after their own kit.
    That will soon change

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    Big Tam should bring out his own autobiography, fly off the shelves. Can only imagine the things he’s seen in his time at hibs!
    Don’t think he’d air his dirty laundry in public

#1 I’m not making any judgements on the basis of the toxic red top newspapers and no other Hibs fans should do either. Do we have confidence in the DR based on past experience?

#2 Even if the main thrust of the story is correct, and we’re cutting non playing staff while investing in the team, that’s nothing to be ashamed of. We’re not spraffing this money against the wall (apologies Boris), we’re investing it, in two seasons if Kevin Nisbet is sold for 4 times what we paid for him, that might be enough to safeguard the future of the club in the post Covid recession.

There needs to be some trust at this stage.

Gutted for Tam. Lived next door to him when growing up and even babysat him.

He'll have seen plenty managers come and go and it will feel strange not being there after so many years.

So whose going to be in charge of the kit etc if Tam's not there to do it? Surely we still need someone. Or is Jack Ross going to fill in?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Gutted for Tam. Lived next door to him when growing up and even babysat him.

He'll have seen plenty managers come and go and it will feel strange not being there after so many years.

So whose going to be in charge of the kit etc if Tam's not there to do it? Surely we still need someone. Or is Jack Ross going to fill in?
    As far as I can tell there’s not any truth to the story yet. His job is merely under consultation with the rest of the staff at the club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    #1 I’m not making any judgements on the basis of the toxic red top newspapers and no other Hibs fans should do either. Do we have confidence in the DR based on past experience?

#2 Even if the main thrust of the story is correct, and we’re cutting non playing staff while investing in the team, that’s nothing to be ashamed of. We’re not spraffing this money against the wall (apologies Boris), we’re investing it, in two seasons if Kevin Nisbet is sold for 4 times what we paid for him, that might be enough to safeguard the future of the club in the post Covid recession.

I agree with the sentiment but something just doesn’t sit easy with me if Tam and his Missus is getting laid off, he’s fantastic to have around the club and does a lot more than just wash the kit. He’s part of the fabric of the club and can’t be on ludicrous money.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

There are some very good, realistic comments on this thread not like the mass hysteria on other social media platforms. These are unprecedented times and the first team are our biggest asset. A poor first team will ultimately lead to more hardship and more potential job losses. Like the club have said, all our focus will be on the first team for the time being. We have very astute people running our club and I trust them to make the right decisions to get through this difficult period that is affecting every club. I've had to take a pay cut myself at work just to keep me in a job. It isn't ideal but needs must.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    There are some very good, realistic comments on this thread not like the mass hysteria on other social media platforms. These are unprecedented times and the first team are our biggest asset. A poor first team will ultimately lead to more hardship and more potential job losses. Like the club have said, all our focus will be on the first team for the time being. We have very astute people running our club and I trust them to make the right decisions to get through this difficult period that is affecting every club.
    While at the same time some time blind trust just because we have to isn’t the best solution.

I can't wait for all the juicy back-stabbing stories to be made public.

"Leeann Dempster sacked me, then ate my Hampster"

"Thrown out on my Ear... after Ron Gordon shot off the other one with his six-shooter".

" 'I was only following all the wise business advice given to me by Ann Budge', claims Dempster"

"Washed up former kit man spends his days in Laundrette, staring wistfully at washing machines"

@hibs.net private member
    The OP sends a late night thread and we all pile in, based on rumour.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derekduval View Post
    Don’t think he’d air his dirty laundry in public
    Underrated post.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I agree with the sentiment but something just doesn’t sit easy with me if Tam and his Missus is getting laid off, he’s fantastic to have around the club and does a lot more than just wash the kit. He’s part of the fabric of the club and can’t be on ludicrous money.
    Tam is indeed part of the club and I really should post with my own Tam story. But what you are doing here is believing what the Daily Record is saying. Tam is well known amongst Hibs fans which is why the DR mention him. There is absolutely no corroboration of the story but he's the tag that a tabloid knows will make people talk about it. Including all of us and I include myself in that as much as anyone.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    WTF is this still being debated? We are a football club. The most important thing is a winning team. Things everywhere are bad. Nice people will suffer EVERYWHERE. If someone is irreplaceable, they will still be here next season. If the job they do is not relevant they will be released. Some people may chose to retire or leave.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    It should be said that increase was all on the football side admin and commercial numbers were 35 for both years.

It should be clear that we are not going to shed 70 employees out of those numbers.
    Yes I just saw the non admin numbers. It is 111.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    He should be able to get about 16k or so should he not? That for me is a decent lump sum given the age he must roughly be/given he's coming up to retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I can't wait for all the juicy back-stabbing stories to be made public.

"Leeann Dempster sacked me, then ate my Hampster"

"Thrown out on my Ear... after Ron Gordon shot off the other one with his six-shooter".

" 'I was only following all the wise business advice given to me by Ann Budge', claims Dempster"

"Washed up former kit man spends his days in Laundrette, staring wistfully at washing machines"

Who do you work for? Sun or Record?

If true what’s happening to all kit related jobs and duties for the foreseeable future? Lot more goes into the job than you’d expect. Desperate ***** from a ***** paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    He should be able to get about 16k or so should he not? That for me is a decent lump sum given the age he must roughly be/given he's coming up to retirement.
    Yes the maximum stat is just over £16K dependant on length of service and salary cap applies. It's not an insignificant sum but you have to compare that with loss of future earnings particularly as retirement age is essentially meaningless as you can't be forced to retire at a certain age anymore. As I said contractual redundancy is always better