hibs.net Messageboard

Hutchie vale article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47962601

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Jeezo, you could put two teams together from that list.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Maybe we should be going back to more boys club football

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    This is the full list of graduates

Lizzie Arnot, Grant Brebner, Lee Bullen, Mark Burchill, Gary Caldwell, Steven Caldwell, John Collins, Alan Combe, Peter Cormack, Darren Dods, Andrew Driver, Claire Emslie, George Farm, Alfred Finnbogason, Darren Fletcher, Ryan Flynn, Paul Hanlon, Kevin Harper, John Hughes, Danny Galbraith, Gary Glen, Leigh Griffiths, John Inglis, Danny Lennon, Gary Locke, Gary Mason, Eddie May, Steven McLean, Marc McNulty, Michael McIndoe, Kenny Miller, Grant Murray, Ian Murray, Gary Naysmith, Sam Nicholson, Colin Nish, Garry O'Connor, Allan Preston, Derek Riordan, Scott Robinson, Michael Stewart, Danny Swanson, Paul Telfer, Kevin Thomson, Gregor Townsend, Steven Tweed, Mickey Weir, Steven Whittaker, Danny Wilson, Tommy Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jeezo, you could put two teams together from that list.
    I think teams like Hutchy have such an impressive looking list of players, not because of the coaching, but because the best 14/15 year olds move clubs to join them Salvy/Tynecastle etc because they think they’ll be more likely to get scouted by pro teams. Which isn’t really the case.

Gregor Townsend? He took a wrong turn (assuming it's the rugby dude)

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I think teams like Hutchy have such an impressive looking list of players, not because of the coaching, but because the best 14/15 year olds move clubs to join them Salvy/Tynecastle etc because they think they’ll be more likely to get scouted by pro teams. Which isn’t really the case.
    Correct. Also astounding when they pinch a player from your team (going direct), and a week later the boy ends up in the regional squads.
    Last edited by Brightside; 11-07-2020 at 11:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Having come through the leagues in the 1990’s I could very easily pick a Hutchy/Salvy XI would didn’t quite make it to getting signed by a pro club but should have. Even better players than on the graduant list.

I think it’s safe to say that many players didn’t benefit from a positive family influence etc when coming through.

It’s even more prevalent nowadays.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Gregor Townsend? He took a wrong turn (assuming it's the rugby dude)
    It is. He was a decent footballer as well as rugby player. Living in the Borders made his mind up I think

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    It’s pity, for clubs like Hibs, that HV encourage their kids to not sign for Scottish clubs these days and prefer to get them into English academies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did they not get caught cheating? Playing players from the older age groups.

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    Did they not get caught cheating? Playing players from the older age groups.
    Yep, Gothia.

A while ago now but it's an indicator as to what the culture at the club is like.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Yep, Gothia.

A while ago now but it's an indicator as to what the culture at the club is like.
    over 20 years ago iirc but s### sticks, the coach involved was banned and ejected from the club.

Nothing like what the culture of the club is like. I know because I’ve got a lad who’s been there for 5 years plus.

You can see see on their FB page how many players have just got 5 year awards and a number are about to get 10. The lad who’s just signed for Celtic has been there for 10 years.

players move clubs throughout youth football but some just use it a a stick to beat other clubs with if they don’t like them.

plus the fact, looking at the dates on the comments this is an article from 2019 the beeb have churned,
    Last edited by The dalmeny; 11-07-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Correct. Also astounding when they pinch a player from your team (going direct), and a week later the boy ends up in the regional squads.
    It’s a circus driven by desperate parents. It makes no sense to me; do they really think Wee McGinn isn’t going to be watched unless he’s playing for HV? Scouts know ALL the boys club teams and if a boy is pulling up trees at whatever level or whatever club scouts will learn about it.

Just keep your son/daughter at a club where he’s happy and with his mates and the rest will follow. Assuming the culture at the club in question is positive and encouraging.