hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I’m good friends with one of his nephews, who lived in Midlothian for a bit when his dad (Jack’s younger brother) worked for the Mines Rescue. When he was up here he became a committed Hibee, so he’ll be very touched to read (most of) these messages. I’ll make sure he sees them.
    Last edited by Superfurry72; 12-07-2020 at 10:11 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Jack seemed a likeable and straight talking big man with a larger than life personality. He was also a more effective footballer than he was sometimes given credit for, you don't play over 600 times for a club team of the quality he did without great ability, even if his skill was in stopping others playing as he would readily say.

He was always a threat and nuisance in the opposition box too, especially with his tactic of placing himself in front of the keeper unsighting them in dead ball situations. Memories of his various scraps with Denis Law in particular too. I think he said that Denis was his most difficult opponent and that he hated playing against him. Both would give and good as they received in their encounters, cue the infamous images of the Lawman with his shirt ripped, half hanging off him after one exchange of niceties. Another funny memory comes from his punditry years and his prononciation of the Dutch superstar's name 'Joe-Ann Cruff'!

I liked the fact Jack remained true to his roots. He once said that he never wanted to manage 'down south' and loved living and working in his favourite North-East. An engaging, honest man, what a career he had. No wonder the Irish loved him.

He came across as a lovely big chap. Rip Jack.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m good friends with one of his nephews, who lived in Midlothian for a bit when his dad (Jack’s younger brother) worked for the Mines Rescue. When he was up here he became a committed Hibee, so he’ll be very touched to read (most of) these messages. I’ll make sure he sees them.
    Is that the Charlton brother who was instrumental in the England ‘Walking Football’ side? I seen an article about him a while back. Nice link to the Hibs there my friend.

He was an honest down to earth guy who played to his strengths. I wish there were more of him in the world.

First Team Breakthrough
    Does he still work for mines rescue? We do yearly training there.

I would have loved to hear some of the tales of footy fishing and country life. Hopefully there will be a documentary of his life soon

Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    I’m sure I read somewhere many years ago that on side of the Charlton family was Scottish and that they were eligible to play had they elected.

Good old fashioned stopper honest guy who can ever forget his TV interview about opposition players that were on his hit list. Would have been banned for months if he came out with that today. As a manager made the game simple but knew his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I’m sure I read somewhere many years ago that on side of the Charlton family was Scottish and that they were eligible to play had they elected.
    Not back then surely. Joe Baker wasn't allowed to play for Scotland.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Is that the Charlton brother who was instrumental in the England ‘Walking Football’ side? I seen an article about him a while back. Nice link to the Hibs there my friend.
    Aye, that’s my mate’s dad Tommy. He’s the loveliest bloke you could wish to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by gogsy23 View Post
    Does he still work for mines rescue? We do yearly training there.

I would have loved to hear some of the tales of footy fishing and country life. Hopefully there will be a documentary of his life soon
    He’s retired and living in Yorkshire now. He has many, many amazing tales as you can imagine!