hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Hibernian Squad 20/21

Typically we run with a squad of 25 first teamers on the ‘2 for every position’ plus 3 development squad promotions.

So far we have

1. Marciano
    2. Dabrowski
    3. Gray
    4. James
    5. McGinn
    6. Porto
    7. Hanlon
    8. Jackson
    9. McGregor
    10. Stevenson
    11. Mackie
    12. Boyle
    13. Wright
    14. Gogic
    15. Hallberg
    16. Newell
    17. Mallan
    18. Allan
    19. Murray
    20. Kamberi
    21. Doidge
    22. Nisbet
    23. Gullan
    24. Horgan

Looks like just enough room for Docherty and we’re good to go.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's looking better and more balanced already. A couple of names on that list are likely to leave, so we'll probably see another ~3 signings over the summer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typically we run with a squad of 25 first teamers on the ‘2 for every position’ plus 3 development squad promotions.

So far we have

1. Marciano
    2. Dabrowski
    3. Gray
    4. James
    5. McGinn
    6. Porto
    7. Hanlon
    8. Jackson
    9. McGregor
    10. Stevenson
    11. Mackie
    12. Boyle
    13. Wright
    14. Gogic
    15. Hallberg
    16. Newell
    17. Mallan
    18. Allan
    19. Murray
    20. Kamberi
    21. Doidge
    22. Nisbet
    23. Gullan
    24. Horgan

Classic big guy, little guy combo up front. Won't get much attacking threat from the right though.

In seriousness, that is a very decent squad. I'd be more than happy with Kamberi and James out, Docherty coming in and keeping Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    Classic big guy, little guy combo up front. Won't get much attacking threat from the right though.

In seriousness, that is a very decent squad. I'd be more than happy with Kamberi and James out, Docherty coming in and keeping Boyle.
    If you mean Doidge and Nisbet I believe they are both the same height at 6'1".

Kamberi and James won’t be here by the end of the window which leaves 3 spaces up for grabs, also unsure if we will go into the season with Dabrowski as our back up

Also Iv seen a couple of people mentioning Nisbet being small, he’s 6 foot and strong as an ox. Defenders will know about it when they play him and Doidge together.

What are we saying for starting 11?

....................Marciano...............

......Porteous...Jackson....Hanlon......

Boyle.....Docherty*........Gogic.....Wright...

........................Allan...........

...............Nisbet..........Doidge......

On paper it looks really good imo, big if however for if we can get Docherty back. If not I’d be wanting Newell in there to see him rediscover the form prior to his injury, I see him as a Kenny McLean type of player.

Gogic in the middle infront of the back 3 offers a lot of protection and his reading of the game will allow him to cover for Boyle and Wright when they attack.

I know Wright is a winger but iirc he played wingback for St Johnstone on occasion and I actually think he’s played right back.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    If you mean Doidge and Nisbet I believe they are both the same height at 6'1".
    Getting conflicting info depending on where I look, I some sites including Transfermarket have him down as 1.8m

@hibs.net private member

So far we have

1. Marciano
    2. Dabrowski
    3. Gray
    4. James
    5. McGinn
    6. Porto
    7. Hanlon
    8. Jackson
    9. McGregor
    10. Stevenson
    11. Mackie
    12. Boyle
    13. Wright
    14. Gogic
    15. Hallberg
    16. Newell
    17. Mallan
    18. Allan
    19. Murray
    20. Kamberi
    21. Doidge
    22. Nisbet
    23. Gullan
    24. Horgan

Kamberi & James will soon be gone from that list I’d imagine.

As much as I love SDG and Daz, would be good if we could have moved them onto coaching roles and replace them with better/fitter players in their positions. I still think we need a couple of defensive reinforcements, as last season out defence was horrific. I’d probably move on/loan Mackie and sign a left back that’s going to properly compete with Lewy/take his place.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Kamberi & James will soon be gone from that list I’d imagine.

As much as I love SDG and Daz, would be good if we could have moved them onto coaching roles and replace them with better/fitter players in their positions. I still think we need a couple of defensive reinforcements, as last season out defence was horrific. I’d probably move on/loan Mackie and sign a left back that’s going to properly compete with Lewy/take his place.
    Our back four last year were hurt by not having a DM and only one of our wide players being able to track back and do their defensive duties. I don’t think we need any major surgery to our back line.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Our back four last year were hurt by not having a DM and only one of our wide players being able to track back and do their defensive duties. I don’t think we need any major surgery to our back line.

💯% agree

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Kamberi and James won’t be here by the end of the window which leaves 3 spaces up for grabs, also unsure if we will go into the season with Dabrowski as our back up

Also Iv seen a couple of people mentioning Nisbet being small, he’s 6 foot and strong as an ox. Defenders will know about it when they play him and Doidge together.

On paper it looks really good imo, big if however for if we can get Docherty back. If not I’d be wanting Newell in there to see him rediscover the form prior to his injury, I see him as a Kenny McLean type of player.

Gogic in the middle infront of the back 3 offers a lot of protection and his reading of the game will allow him to cover for Boyle and Wright when they attack.

I know Wright is a winger but iirc he played wingback for St Johnstone on occasion and I actually think he’s played right back.
    Dabrowski at his age has to play every week. Would be in his long term interests, to go out on loan, and bring in an older No 2

We’ve also got 3 right sided centre backs, 1 too many

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Signing Gogic will hopefully help but I personally think the defence does need to be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

I’ve been impressed with McGinn sInce his arrival, I would think he deserves to start.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldingham hibs View Post
    I’ve been impressed with McGinn sInce his arrival, I would think he deserves to start.
    Really? He seems bang average when I’ve watched him so far.

The middle of the defence is the weakest element of the squad.
    Otherwise I’m quietly confident about the season. It certainly looks like a team with plenty of goals in it.

Quote Originally Posted by coldingham hibs View Post
    I have been impressed with him but I think that’s more to do with low expectations. He’s quicker and a lot more comfortable on the ball than I expected but maybe not as good defensively.

Out of curiosity, who would you play him ahead of or what formation would you be wanting to play?

Be a tough job for Ross to pick the best team and best balance!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Really? He seems bang average when I’ve watched him so far.
    My take on it as well. OK but nothing to shout about.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We need defenders.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    Classic big guy, little guy combo up front. .
    Nisbet is over 6ft and buit like a brick ****house.
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 10-07-2020 at 10:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Legends in that defence but I think there are too many that have seen their best days. I wouldn't make wholesale changes at once but we need to think about replacements. A bit of luck with injuries should see Porto really push on to be one of the country's top defenders though.

One thing we do appear to be heading towards is something we don't see that often, a Hibs team with pace and power .... Porteous we all know about and Nisbet and Gogic seem really physical as well, Dochery and Doidge are the right side of being able to handle themselves physically too .... then we have Wright who by all accounts is quick and obviously Boyle.

I'm hoping to see us get a lot more joy with corners and crosses with two forwards in the 6 foot plus bracket and Porteous who has already scored one or two from set pieces.

Assessment:

ROCKY
    A very good keeper on his day, prone to the odd gaff
    DABROWSKI
    Not seen enough to judge
    SDG
    The best right back we have, but horrendously injury prone.
    JAMES
    Not seen enough of him, showed in flashes when he has played, but a lot to prove, if he stays.
    McGINN
    OK going forward, but not sure if he is as good as SDG defensively.
    PORTEOUS
    Massive potential, but much as we all love his crunching tackles he needs to calm doon, just a bit. A threat when we get a corner. If he has a recurrence of that same injury a 3rd time I will really worry for him long term .. praying for the laddie that it doesn't happen coz he could be a legend at this club.
    HANLON
    Has had long periods in the last couple of seasons where his form could have been better, but still a good player IMO
    JACKSON
    Daz mark two ... no nonsense defender, but not the best CH in the league either, though he's had some decent games for us.
    DAZ
    Love the big guy, I doubt he will be a regular, but when our backs are against the wall there's none better.
    STEVENSON
    It's coming to the end for him I think, but if he does lose his place what a guy to have on the bench ... just a legend.
    MACKIE .... He has looked promising, but it says a lot that he couldn't dislodge the ageing Stevenson, time for him to step up, though I understand he was doing ok at Dundee until he got injured.
    BOYLE
    Nothing to prove .. if he stays.
    WRIGHT
    Like a lot of folk unless a player absolutely stands out against Hibs at ER I don't tend to notice them .. but I'll take the fact that the 'not good enough for Hibs' brigade are silent as a good sign.
    GOGIC
    Same as Wright, but his stats are good and he looks like the sort of guy whose pint you wouldn't want to spill ... if he's as mean as he looks that'll do for me.
    HALLBERG
    I just can't make my mind up about this guy, hoping he isn't going to be another Slivka .. good on paper but never able to hold down a place and patchy when he does play.
    NEWELL
    What can you say about this guy, looked like a terrible signing for months and then all of a sudden turned into a really good one ... if he can reproduce the form he had before getting injured and then the season ending that'll do for me.
    MALLAN
    Just literally no idea, is being able to score a few free kicks and the odd worldy from open play enough when the rest of his game too often seems so bang average?
    ALLAN
    His two loan spells here were probably the best periods of his career ... now he has a permanent contract and for some reason hasn't quite hit the heights he did those times. Without doubt a class player though, so lets hope he kick starts himself for the new season.
    MURRAY
    I have always thought he has the makings of a superb box to box midfielder, but he still needs to make that jump from promising youngster to being a contender for a regular place in the team, 21 now, so to be blunt he had better get the finger out.
    KAMBERI ... No chance he will be a Hibs player when the season starts, and given what happened it's probably just as well there won't be any fans in the ground if by some miracle he is.
    DOIDGE
    More than paying his way and when you see some of the goals he scores he has that one thing strikers crave, a fair share of luck on his side ... anyway, he's a striker, he scores and he does have good movement, so that's good enough for me.
    NISBET
    Really excited about this guy .... 29 goals in 34 games for Raith Rovers .. steps up a league and scores 18 in 25 games for Dunfermline. Built like a brick ****hoose and looks quick as well ... and as if that wasn't enough turned doon the Hertz .... really looking forward to seeing him in a Hibs shirt.
    GULLAN
    From what I've seen of him a wee push in the right direction could see us with another decent striker on our hands .. time will tell, perhaps another loan move for him.
    HORGAN
    I heard a fan of Preston North end saying he really liked Horgan, but he was fed up of catching his crosses. You cant fault the guy for effort, but sometimes he is a bit of a headless chicken ... scored a beauty at Tynecastle which always helps ... probably going to continue to be an impact sub rather than a starter.

I have literally no idea how to pick a starting XI out of that lot, though I would imagine Nisbet and Doidge are certainties ... clubs like us don't spend over half a million quid on two players to leave either one on the bench.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    One thing we do appear to be heading towards is something we don't see that often, a Hibs team with pace and power .... Porteous we all know about and Nisbet and Gogic seem really physical as well, Dochery and Doidge are the right side of being able to handle themselves physically too .... then we have Wright who by all accounts is quick and obviously Boyle.

I'm hoping to see us get a lot more joy with corners and crosses with two forwards in the 6 foot plus bracket and Porteous who has already scored one or two from set pieces.

Assessment:

ROCKY
    DABROWSKI
    Not seen enough to judge
    SDG
    JAMES
    Not seen enough of him, showed in flashes when he has played, but a lot to prove, if he stays.
    McGINN
    PORTEOUS
    Massive potential, but much as we all love his crunching tackles he needs to calm doon, just a bit. A threat when we get a corner. If he has a recurrence of that same injury a 3rd time I will really worry for him long term .. praying for the laddie that it doesn't happen coz he could be a legend at this club.
    HANLON
    Has had long periods in the last couple of seasons where his form could have been better, but still a good player IMO
    JACKSON
    Daz mark two ... no nonsense defender, but not the best CH in the league either, though he's had some decent games for us.
    DAZ
    Love the big guy, I doubt he will be a regular, but when our backs are against the wall there's none better.
    STEVENSON
    It's coming to the end for him I think, but if he does lose his place what a guy to have on the bench ... just a legend.
    MACKIE .... He has looked promising, but it says a lot that he couldn't dislodge the ageing Stevenson, time for him to step up, though I understand he was doing ok at Dundee until he got injured.
    BOYLE
    WRIGHT
    Like a lot of folk unless a player absolutely stands out against Hibs at ER I don't tend to notice them .. but I'll take the fact that the 'not good enough for Hibs' brigade are silent as a good sign.
    GOGIC
    Same as Wright, but his stats are good and he looks like the sort of guy whose pint you wouldn't want to spill ... if he's as mean as he looks that'll do for me.
    HALLBERG
    I just can't make my mind up about this guy, hoping he isn't going to be another Slivka .. good on paper but never able to hold down a place and patchy when he does play.
    NEWELL
    What can you say about this guy, looked like a terrible signing for months and then all of a sudden turned into a really good one ... if he can reproduce the form he had before getting injured and then the season ending that'll do for me.
    MALLAN
    Just literally no idea, is being able to score a few free kicks and the odd worldy from open play enough when the rest of his game too often seems so bang average?
    ALLAN
    His two loan spells here were probably the best periods of his career ... now he has a permanent contract and for some reason hasn't quite hit the heights he did those times. Without doubt a class player though, so lets hope he kick starts himself for the new season.
    MURRAY
    I have always thought he has the makings of a superb box to box midfielder, but he still needs to make that jump from promising youngster to being a contender for a regular place in the team, 21 now, so to be blunt he had better get the finger out.
    KAMBERI ... No chance he will be a Hibs player when the season starts, and given what happened it's probably just as well there won't be any fans in the ground if by some miracle he is.
    DOIDGE
    More than paying his way and when you see some of the goals he scores he has that one thing strikers crave, a fair share of luck on his side ... anyway, he's a striker, he scores and he does have good movement, so that's good enough for me.
    NISBET
    Really excited about this guy .... 29 goals in 34 games for Raith Rovers .. steps up a league and scores 18 in 25 games for Dunfermline. Built like a brick ****hoose and looks quick as well ... and as if that wasn't enough turned doon the Hertz .... really looking forward to seeing him in a Hibs shirt.
    GULLAN
    From what I've seen of him a wee push in the right direction could see us with another decent striker on our hands .. time will tell, perhaps another loan move for him.
    HORGAN
    I heard a fan of Preston North end saying he really liked Horgan, but he was fed up of catching his crosses. You cant fault the guy for effort, but sometimes he is a bit of a headless chicken ... scored a beauty at Tynecastle which always helps ... probably going to continue to be an impact sub rather than a starter.

I have literally no idea how to pick a starting XI out of that lot, though I would imagine Nisbet and Doidge are certainties ... clubs like us don't spend over half a million quid on two players to leave either one on the bench.
    Allan’s two loan spells? When was he on loan a second time?

Left by mutual consent!

Assessment:

ROCKY
    DABROWSKI
    Not seen enough to judge
    SDG
    JAMES
    McGINN
    PORTEOUS
    HANLON
    JACKSON
    DAZ
    STEVENSON
    BOYLE
    WRIGHT
    GOGIC
    HALLBERG
    NEWELL
    MALLAN
    ALLAN
    MURRAY
    DOIDGE
    NISBET
    GULLAN
    HORGAN

Christ you really are an expert at enormous rambling posts

We allow far too many crosses into our box. We need an upgrade in the full back areas. I wouldn't be upset to lose any our full backs. I don't see Gray and Mcgregor featuring much either. If we could sort out the full backs we would be onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Allan’s two loan spells? When was he on loan a second time?
    I stand corrected mate, his first spell wasn't a loan right enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Christ you really are an expert at enormous rambling posts
    Yeh ,,, but I don't care

Looks like Porteous will take the number 5 shirt.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    We’ve got quite a few players that can play centre back, mainly right sided. Wonder if we’ll look at 352, although that might not suit Gogic

The 3 signings last week have revitalised the squad.

Looks much more balanced and adaptable. Some obvious gaps filled. Well one especially.

The thing that I note is that the average height of the team has increased as we seem to be signing tall players.

Up front we have both Doidge and Nisbet at 6'1".

Gogic, Hallberg and Newell are all 6 footers.

And in defence we have some decent height amongst our centre halves.

Hopefully this means that we defend set pieces well. Doidge has been an big asset here and Gogic's stats for defensive headers are very strong.

Also we should see a good return from corners at the opposite end.

Has this been a conscious decision on the recruitment front?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Yeh ,,, but I don't care

Good. Don’t change.

I actually think our squad is pretty decent as it stands. As well as the new lads coming in we'll have Porteous, Mallan, Newell and some others back fit. Hopefully we keep hold of Boyle. I'm optimistic about the season ahead.