hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left by mutual consent!
    12th, just narrowly missing one of the new relegation spots...

in all honesty i think this season, until things settle down, will be a lottery. Does the pressure of fans expectations really seap down from the stands? will lack of old firm fans hinder the **** at home? will the atmosphere improve at pittodrie with no fans?

as long as we get the season complete we should be finishing 4th or 5th around with Motherwell (on current squads)...

Celtic
    Rangers
    Aberdeen
    Hibs / Motherwell

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    12th, just narrowly missing one of the new relegation spots...

in all honesty i think this season, until things settle down, will be a lottery. Does the pressure of fans expectations really seap down from the stands? will lack of old firm fans hinder the **** at home? will the atmosphere improve at pittodrie with no fans?

as long as we get the season complete we should be finishing 4th or 5th around with Motherwell (on current squads)...

Celtic
    Rangers
    Aberdeen
    Hibs / Motherwell
    I can see Mallan and Kamberi playing well in empty stadiums. The game will also be slower (has been in all the other leagues) and this will play to their skills.

How many seasons in a row will we have finished above Hearts now? Four? Not bad for the wee team

@hibs.net private member
    8th for me. Luxury midfield and very few options up top. Three or four good signings could make a huge difference

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    8th for me. Luxury midfield and very few options up top. Three or four good signings could make a huge difference
    I'm inclined to agree. I'm just not seeing where the optimism of a top four place is coming from when you look at our current squad. As you say though, if we're able to make a few signings I'd be confident Ross can put us comfortably in the top six.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Let’s face it we’ll get relegated as Hearts get promoted. It’s the Hibs way.🤪

If I was a betting man though I ‘d say 6th.

Left by mutual consent!
    4th should be an achievable target and a first step to become "best of the rest"

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Around 8th for me,as it stands,hoping for some good signings tho,so,5th or 6th could be ours.

@hibs.net private member
    1st/2nd/3rd - no chance
    4th - competing for it at least
    5th - probably more realistic next season (if I was a betting men here's where my money would go)
    6th - poor season
    7th - embarrssing
    8th or below - another new manager then🙈

1st-cause Messi is available, oh sorry it was The Rangers that wanted sign him.

Seriously I think top 4 should be the target no lower. Depends on the transfer dealings.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. I'm just not seeing where the optimism of a top four place is coming from when you look at our current squad. As you say though, if we're able to make a few signings I'd be confident Ross can put us comfortably in the top six.
    Oh yes of course I agree, our current squad is not good enough but I am going on the assumption that the fact we've brought in several millions through over 10,000 season ticket sales plus additional HSL donations and unprecedented shirt sales that we'll be able to attract one or two decent players to the club.

Our budget will no doubt be lower than last year due to the pandemic but it's all relative, we should still have comfortably the 4th highest budget in the league and higher than several other clubs put together.

I'd be really unhappy if we're 8th at the end of this season and would deem that to be a huge failure.

First Team Breakthrough
    Massive three weeks coming up for us!

We need to sign some quality players and get them bedded into the team as we have six league games in August. We need to get off to a flyer as September is a tough month with only three fixtures (2 of which are against the Celtic and the Rangers.

We had a poor 2019/20 season imo (in league) and we are a weaker team this season as no signings plus our loan players have returned.

The good thing is we will know quickly if we are going to have a good or bad season due to amount of games in August!

Lets hope we hear some good news this week and get a few quality players in!

The fans have backed Hibs, time to give us some good news

Be another waste of a season if we don't get the finger out and bring in quality! Needing a full back that can ideally play both sides, but more for the left. a winger, a decent quality forward, and a solid holding mid. Minimum!!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I really can't make up my mind this season, I normally get it wrong anyway!
    With all the turmoil in the game in general I can see us having a good chance to be better than our average as I feel our management team, both corporate and footballing, appear totally on the case so defo fighting for Europe and hopefully 2nd spot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    I really can't make up my mind this season, I normally get it wrong anyway!
    With all the turmoil in the game in general I can see us having a good chance to be better than our average as I feel our management team, both corporate and footballing, appear totally on the case so defo fighting for Europe and hopefully 2nd spot.

Eh? 2nd spot? You’re surely on the wind up

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I do think the league could be more volatile than ever, and surprises might be more frequent.

Will Celtic Park and Ibrox be as intimidating to opponents as when they are full of fans?

When I was looking at the pictures of our squad back in training today it struck me that we do still have a fair amount of quality in our squad.

We would need a few, solid, first pick transfers to come in to the team where we are currently weak and for us to maybe get an uninterrupted run free of injury from Gray, McGregor and Porteous.

I also maintain that if we didn't get much from these players, we were to lose one or two more due to offers coming and if our transfer business is poor then we might be in relegation trouble.

This season is almost impossible to call.

If only we were going into it with our squad of 2, 3, 4 years ago though...

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I do think the league could be more volatile than ever, and surprises might be more frequent.

Will Celtic Park and Ibrox be as intimidating to opponents as when they are full of fans?

When I was looking at the pictures of our squad back in training today it struck me that we do still have a fair amount of quality in our squad.

We would need a few, solid, first pick transfers to come in to the team where we are currently weak and for us to maybe get an uninterrupted run free of injury from Gray, McGregor and Porteous.

I also maintain that if we didn't get much from these players, we were to lose one or two more due to offers coming and if our transfer business is poor then we might be in relegation trouble.

This season is almost impossible to call.

If only we were going into it with our squad of 2, 3, 4 years ago though...
    Aye i agree with your last point.

But I think we’ll be lucky if this squad, as is, is fighting for Europe never mind finishing 2nd!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Good point actually, if ever it was there for the taking, it's this season!

Aye i agree with your last point.

But I think we’ll be lucky if this squad, as is, is fighting for Europe never mind finishing 2nd!
    Yeah, and when I was asked the question I went for 7th or 8th (mainly because I have little faith in Hibs to get the required business done this summer for all sorts of reasons).

Still - looking on the positive side - Marciano will probably be playing for a decent move next summer. When his head's in the right place he's up there with the best in the league. Porteous is one of the most promising Scottish talents to come through in recent years, if he kicked on this season then there probably aren't many in the league to match him. If we got a balanced midfield to get the best out of Allan, who on his game is one of the best, mostt creative players in the league, kept Boyle fit all season and on top of his game and Doidge kept up the goalscoring form he's showed since getting properly underway last November, there's a core of players there who could be match for anyone in the league.

Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson have been stalwarts with good players around them in the past.

Jackson has on occasion been our best player, Newell was starting to settle before getting injured.

We have a decent scoring threat from set pieces, a bit of pace, a goalscorer, a few players who have been around the block.

It's tempting to look at the gaps but there are players there who, on paper, could play big roles in good teams.