hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    I started with Celtic at 7 but when I was 8 a new lad started at my small country school and he was Hibs. I liked the strip and they won the Dryburgh Cup ( 1972 ?)and i was hooked. My son , who lives in Australia now , is a massive Hibbie and flew back in 2016 for our cup final win. My user name is based on my car registration plate and never once regretted following Hibs. Delighted that my son got hooked on us and he was a season ticket holder for a few years travelling up from Carlisle before he moved to Leeds and then Sydney

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    My Celtic mate started coming with us 2015/16/17 season and really enjoyed it. Ended up ditching his season ticket and comes to ER/away games maybe 12-16 matches a season. I think under Ronny Delia a lot of them became disillusioned.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    My mate changed from Rangers to Hibs when he was about 18, got fed up with the sectarian pish and hated watching long ball, cheat, dive and kick everything that moves football.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EK-HIBEE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ll probably get a lot of abuse but 4 years ago I was a Celtic ST holder. I always felt something was wrong, I read up about Hibs influences, the club and the city and became hooked.
    This season coming marks my second year as a ST holder and it’s had its usual ups and downs (Hibs Eh) but I’m loving it.
    The youth may belong to the English premier league, people in their teens may follow the ugly sisters European nights but for everyone who is 18 plus and wanted a proper team that’s followed through and through ill recommend Hibs till the day I die.
    I’m not claiming to be a die hard Hibee (grandpa is Hibs) but its an unbelievable football club and I am so happy to be part of it. GGTTH
    Never going to be an issue, follow the original greens.

Welcome aboard the roller coaster. As long as you're not Rod Stewart obviously.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    My mate changed from Rangers to Hibs when he was about 18, got fed up with the sectarian pish and hated watching long ball, cheat, dive and kick everything that moves football.
    Cousin's a Edinburgh based hun but attends ER more than Ibrox.

Takes his kids to games and does not want them involved in any of the sectarian crap that goes on there. Needless to say his kids are now on the right path.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Second year so you are probably not writing a book. Welcome to the family.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Used to work with a jambo who decided to change and support the hun.
    Oh how the true jambos and I slagged him off 😄
    Could not take any football chat from him after that seriously.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Back when I was a university, I had Hertz-supporting flatmate called Gary from Hawick, and a scouser called Dave who followed Liverpool.
    Gary and I both set to work claiming Dave for our own, Gary took him to a midweek game at Tiny, and he was starting to waver, but I got him a ticket for the last game of the 98-99 season against Falkirk when we came back up from the 1st division.
    After a wee dance on the pitch with the rest of us at full time he said to me there was no danger he'd be back at another Hertz game after that.
    Mission accomplished

I've always been a Hibs fan (despite growing up in London) but I remember using the threat 'I'll support Rangers!' against my old man when I was in a mood with him once.

I was probably 6 so didn't fully understand the gravity of what I'd said, the look on his face still stays with me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    When I was a 7 years old kid living in Leith in the 1960s Celtic winning the European cup in 1967 had a huge effect. I vividly recall a sudden surge in support for them and along with many of my peers I was swept along .... not many months after my family had moved to the Borders and so I had no pressure to start following a local club, I was surrounded by Celtic and Rangers supporters.

From then until exactly the 3rd of May 1975 I would have been recognised as an enthusiastic Celtic fan. But by that date I was 15 years old and far more aware of the pride I had in my Edinburgh roots. As I watched the highlights of Celtic beating Airdrie in that days Scottish cup final it dawned on my that not only was there little pleasure in watching Celtic's juggernaut crush yet another minnow, but also and more importantly that I was being a traitor to the roots I was so proud of by following a Glasgow club ... The next day my Celtic stuff had been consigned to the bin where it belonged and I was a Hibs supporter.

I got a lot of stick from my mates for this change of direction, but I didn't give a toss, I knew I had done the right thing and I haven't regretted it for a second ... So yes, there absolutely are circumstances where changing your team is absolutely acceptable and justified.
    yesterday i was minded as I watched Bayern (presumably I switched off) win another cup on top of their league title, to ponder what it must be like to follow such a team. The senior execs in the stands were looking at their watches. There must be some inevitability about proceedings for them. The expectation of notching another. Thank a god I’m a Hibee that witnessed the quest for the Holy Grail resolved so emphatically. With heroes that care and still care for out fantastic club. I suppose it’s all relative but how could the high of us winning the SC after 114 years he matched let alone bettered ? Liverpool’s title and Champs league, Man Utd Champs league through Ole Gunnar’s goal. But they are few and far between. Celtic beating Barca, if Rangers (RIP) or Celtic had won the Europa League, everything else for them must be a but meh and going through the motions (even title and Cup wins)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Whilst I have been a Hibs fan for as long as I can remember I sometimes shudder at what could have happened if my folks hadn't moved back to Edinburgh when I was 1.

Was born in Kirkintilloch, dad was from Perth and had no interest in football whilst my mum was from Edinburgh, her family were Hearts fans. Fortunately my dad got a job in Edinburgh which necessitated the move back east.

To be honest I think this 'teams are unchangeable/dont trust anyone who does' stuff belongs in a different time where geography was the key factor determining who you support.
    Back in the day if you were born in Naples you supported Napoli because you're from Naples, your family are from Naples and anything else is just wierd...almost like being Italian and choosing to support the French national team.

We now live in an age where its totally acceptable for some geezer from Motherwell to support a team in a city hundreds of miles away that he has never had anything to do with in a different country...yet he is treated as some sort of freak should he change this decision.😆

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I’m surprised to see so many folk chopping and changing between Hibs & Celtic. But then again, when you see how the two clubs have dominated the silverware in Scotland over the last 4 years it maybe shouldn’t be a shock.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Might be ‘normal’ for some to change teams, and in Oz it is certainly not unusual, but I could not think of a set of circumstances where I would do so.
    Why would you?...your a hibbie!! 😁😁
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

I changed my local team here.
    When I 1st moved I followed Sparta, I suppose mainly as they were the most known and were competing in champions league etc.

But after a year or so, I changed to support Bohemians 1905, and have been a ST holder/regular for 15 years..
    I think I missed seeing a team in green and white struggle 😂

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    The old Italian saying comesto mind ( before divorce was legalised in Italy) -"There are two things you can't change in life: your wife and your football team."
    I was under the impression that it was " You can have as many wives as you want but you can only ever have 1 fitbaw team"

EK-HIBEE
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    You said you felt something was wrong, what was it?
    Avoided the forum as I didn’t expect fairly warm responses. And I just always felt numb at the every home game bar Rangers and CL. It just felt so numb winning every game by 3/4/5 goals, while others celebrated I just couldn’t feel that same buzz.
    Used to find it embarrassing outnumbering home fans in away days, beating a team with 10% of Celtics budget then singing stuff like “we’re Glasgow Celtic and we won’t be stopped (until European away games).

Regrading being unable to change your team I get the idea of changing is mad to some people. I can best summarise it as ‘if you love a team you can’t change. If you just like a team then you can. Based on chats with my friends it’s safe to say I liked Celtic but never loved them.

A pals little brother announced on boxing day 1972 that he was changing from Hibs to Hearts because of pressure from schoolmates. His brother was raging. Saying that we took him to the next Hearts game. After the third goal went in he sat down and did not watch the rest of the game.

I have always been a hibby but have a few mates that saw the light and changed from celtic to Hibs

EK-HIBEE
    Left by mutual consent!
    Additionally I can confirm that Celtic fans don’t even remember cup final games they’ve been at unless it’s Rangers or something significant like a last minute goal to win a treble. By the time my friends are back in the pub after leaving Hampden they aren’t even talking about the game.

@hibs.net private member
    After the 2013 final, me and my mate were overtaken on the walk back to our bus by a couple of Celtc fans who hadn't bothered waiting for the trophy presentation.

Good thread always nice to hear people’s stories..

EK-HIBEE
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    After the 2013 final, me and my mate were overtaken on the walk back to our bus by a couple of Celtc fans who hadn't bothered waiting for the trophy presentation.
    Absolutely, I was talking to a mate I went to the 2017 league cup final with. He genuinely couldn’t remember even going. He only had like 2 beers before so wasn’t due to being pissed. Just means nothing unless it’s Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    I've always been a Hibs fan (despite growing up in London) but I remember using the threat 'I'll support Rangers!' against my old man when I was in a mood with him once.

I was probably 6 so didn't fully understand the gravity of what I'd said, the look on his face still stays with me.
    Done the same lol Grew up in England also. Old man wasnt going to take us on the next trip to Scotland as they were tailing off post 76.

Said I may as well support Rangers then....... took me to Ibrox Aug 77. 2-0 Hibs. Bit of reverse psychology in a 10yr old.

First Team Breakthrough tigerted's Avatar
    Glory hunter. Only started following the Hibees after we won the Cup 🏆 in 2016! 😛👌💚

Welcome.

A mate who I’d describe as a die hard Celtic fan now goes to watch the Hibs regularly. Living in Leith changed him.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    I changed my local team here.
    When I 1st moved I followed Sparta, I suppose mainly as they were the most known and were competing in champions league etc.

But after a year or so, I changed to support Bohemians 1905, and have been a ST holder/regular for 15 years..
    I think I missed seeing a team in green and white struggle
    I was similar i lived in sweden For a year. Ex parter was a massive IFK fan. Went to most of their games. Then they played in the goteborg derby and I converted to the green and black of GAIS... relationship didn’t last much longer after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Anyone else spend 5 minutes wondering what the Italian saying “comesto mind” meant..?
    LOL got me too

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    yesterday i was minded as I watched Bayern (presumably I switched off) win another cup on top of their league title, to ponder what it must be like to follow such a team. The senior execs in the stands were looking at their watches. There must be some inevitability about proceedings for them. The expectation of notching another. Thank a god I’m a Hibee that witnessed the quest for the Holy Grail resolved so emphatically. With heroes that care and still care for out fantastic club. I suppose it’s all relative but how could the high of us winning the SC after 114 years he matched let alone bettered ? Liverpool’s title and Champs league, Man Utd Champs league through Ole Gunnar’s goal. But they are few and far between. Celtic beating Barca, if Rangers (RIP) or Celtic had won the Europa League, everything else for them must be a but meh and going through the motions (even title and Cup wins)

The only two tournament wins in my lifetime that I can think would have matched/came close to matching our cup win for the fans of their clubs would be Man City winning the league and Liverpool in Istanbul. Other than that, I can’t think of anyone winning anything where all the scenarios combined would have lead to anything like our cup win.

A man's football team is like his underwear... he'll never change it without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    When we left the Ross County LC Final there were already a few of their fans standing at a bus stop outside Hampden which I've always found a tad odd considering it was their first major trophy.