hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well I feel sorry for the football fans in and around Wigan, especially as the background behind the takeover that then led to Admin sounds very odd.

Here we have a team struggling in the shadows of the Manchester and Liverpool teams, plus others more local such as Blackburn, Bolton and Preston. They also have to put up with the fact that Wigan is a Rugby League town, a very successful team when I was a lad. In the late 70s, they gained promotion to the English Leagues, albeit in bizarre fashion.

Since 1978, they survived and gained a foothold, but it was only after local millionaire supporter Dave Whelan took over control that they rose through the leagues ultimately joining the Premier League in 2005 and staying there until 2013. Yes, they were able to buy players they shouldn't really afford, but everyone in England was doing that thanks to Sky money - we also did that ourselves in the late 90s and early 00s. Then like many teams before them, their decline started when their local millionaire supporter relinquished control of the club. I hope that last sentence doesn't become true at somewhere we call home!

The circumstances that led to the takeover and subsequent administration sound extremely strange, as if it's been manufactured for someone else's gain. Can you imagine what we would think if that was what happened to Hibs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53291951
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 05-07-2020 at 07:34 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert