hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar

1st 11 for 20/21 Season

Is this how our 1st 11 is going to look for the forthcoming season?

Marciano
    Gray
    Jackson
    Hanlon
    Porteous
    Stevenson
    Boyle
    Allan
    Mallan
    Horgan
    Doidge

🇳🇬

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think McGinn will be somewhat of a mainstay for us next season.

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think McGinn will be somewhat of a mainstay for us next season.
    Replacing Gray?

Quote Originally Posted by one day maybe... View Post
    Replacing Gray?
    I think that'll quite likely be the case - but maybe SDG will surprise us with a significant comeback. Here's a hoping there will be a few signings in there to spice things up too.

Joe Newell's performances post-Hecky probably earned him a chance and all. **** I miss Hibs.

As it stands for me, my team would be

...................Marciano........

Gray.....Porteous....Jackson....Stevenson....

............Hallberg....Newell.....

Boyle...........Mallan...........Allan......

.................Doidge......

Not ideal having Allan out on the left however he naturally drifts out there and has the ability to cut in and play the killer pass. Better option out there imo than Horgan or Newell and gets Mallan in the team.

For me it shows we have plenty technical ability in our team, badly needing some hard working, tough tackling leaders though.

McGinn, McGregor and Hanlon will all be close to the starting 11 and won’t be much in it.

The midfield and strikers badly need competition.

Forgot to add Flo but he won’t be here anyway.

If Wright signs then he’s in for Mallan with Scotty moving back central.

Marciano
    Gray
    Jackson
    Hanlon
    Porteous
    Stevenson
    Boyle
    Allan
    Mallan
    Horgan
    Doidge

🇳🇬
    I think I mentioned it during the season now ended that I would be disappointed if we had Gray, Hanlon, McGregor and Stevenson as our first picks during season 20/21. I've nothing against them individually or collectively, but their average performance levels is deteriorating season by season as would be expected for players coming to the end of their careers.

That said, we have to make sure that the players replacing them are an improvement. For every David Murphy, we've had a long list of under-achievers.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Signings are imperative. Even allowing for other teams to have lost quality, the current squad, and midfield in particular, will be closer to the playoffs than 3rd IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    I think I mentioned it during the season now ended that I would be disappointed if we had Gray, Hanlon, McGregor and Stevenson as our first picks during season 20/21. I've nothing against them individually or collectively, but their average performance levels is deteriorating season by season as would be expected for players coming to the end of their careers.

That said, we have to make sure that the players replacing them are an improvement. For every David Murphy, we've had a long list of under-achievers.
    Paul Hanlon is 30, he isn't coming to the end of his career at all and his performances show that. He was our best central defender last season. Shaky start but finished well and will be a first choice again. The other 3 are coming to the end of their careers, though, and we'll need to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Signings are imperative. Even allowing for other teams to have lost quality, the current squad, and midfield in particular, will be closer to the playoffs than 3rd IMO.
    We need another striker. Once we have that we’re not in a bad position going forward, providing we don’t lose anyone.

Kind of stating the obvious but we need a big improvement defensively, at the back and in midfield. We can’t be needing 3+ goals to win games as often, which was the case in half of our league fixtures last season. I’m concerned that, with players under contract, the defence will be much as you were last season.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Hanlon is a cert to be in the team, it’ll be Hanlon and someone else at centre half. Porteous would be my choice to partner him, but I’m sure he and Jackson will both get games.

Hanlon by far the best of the three, I’ve nae doubt Jack Ross thinks so tae.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Same old dilemma in terms of formation at Hibs - we don't seem to have a balance within the squad somewhere. We could also do with some new additions - players similar in style to Bartley, Docherty, and Kamberi I think.

.......................Marciano
    ...........McGinn Hanlon Porteous
    Boyle.......................................... Stevenson
    .............Hallberg........ Mallan
    ,.............................Allan
    .................Doidge... Gullan

SDG, Jackson, McGregor, Newall, and Horgan on the bench as capable of coming in without really diminishing the quality of the first 11.
    Last edited by danhibees1875; 01-07-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    Mon the Hibs.

Marciano
    Gray
    Jackson
    Hanlon
    Porteous
    Stevenson
    Boyle
    Allan
    Mallan
    Horgan
    Doidge

🇳🇬
    Surely Joe newell gets into that team!

We don't have the players to play 2 up top and by doing so we lose the midfield unless we go with a narrow diamond, then by doing this we lose width as the wingbacks aren't good enough, big dilemma.

Rocky

Gray/McGinn
    Porteous/Jackson
    Hanlon
    Stevenson/Mackie

Hallberg
    Allan/Murray
    Mallan/Newell

Boyle
    Doidge/Gullan
    Horgan/Gullan

Add in McGregor, James, Dabrowski and possibly Stirling, I Murray and Campbell.

That looks a really weak squad but TBH I think we might be giving a good few games to some youngsters this season, curious to see where we strengthen, to me another striker, a wide player ( Wright ) and a solid midfielder and that's it as money is really tight.

If that's our starting line up, I'm a bit concerned that we still won't cope well with physical, pressing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Hanlon is a cert to be in the team, it’ll be Hanlon and someone else at centre half. Porteous would be my choice to partner him, but I’m sure he and Jackson will both get games.

Hanlon by far the best of the three, I’ve nae doubt Jack Ross thinks so tae.
    I'd like us to go with a 3. Jackson Porto Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I'd like us to go with a 3. Jackson Porto Hanlon.
    We would need a new left wing back as a minimum in order to play that. As well as probably play Boyle on the right as I can’t see how else to get him in the team, and that impacts his ability in the final 3rd, but probably the way to go to get the most out of what we have IMO. On the flip side I think it would be perfect for getting Porteous’ progression back on track.

Looking at the squad

Marciano/Dabrowski

McGinn/Gray/James
    Porteous/McGregor
    Hanlon/Jackson
    Stevenson/Mackie

Hallberg/???
    Newell/???

Boyle/Murray
    Allan/Mallan
    Horgan/???

Doidge/Gullan/???

McGinn can also cover CH, Gullan could play wide and I'm ignoring the Sevco lover. I don't know enough about Campbell (one brief LC appearance doesn't count) or Stirling to include them.

So to me we need to focus on two midfielders (at least one being defensive), a winger (Wright?) and another striker. That would enable us to stand still at a time when other clubs will be going backwards.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

We look powderpuff in midfield

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Rocky

Porteous Jackson Hanlon

McGinn Mallan Hallberg Allan Newell

Boyle Doidge

Hallberg sitting, McGinn can also sit if needed with Boyle dropping back to provide width. Mallan and Allan need to create pockets and get forward. Newell plays better with space around him rather than sitting in a tight midfield.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m surprised to see Mallan mentioned in so many peoples teams. He regularly gets slagged off on here when he plays. I can’t see him and Allan both playing in the same midfield consistently. It’s clear we need signings as the squad looks light but it’s early days.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    As it stands for me, my team would be

...................Marciano........

Gray.....Porteous....Jackson....Stevenson....

............Hallberg....Newell.....

Boyle...........Mallan...........Allan......

.................Doidge......

Not ideal having Allan out on the left however he naturally drifts out there and has the ability to cut in and play the killer pass. Better option out there imo than Horgan or Newell and gets Mallan in the team.

For me it shows we have plenty technical ability in our team, badly needing some hard working, tough tackling leaders though.

McGinn, McGregor and Hanlon will all be close to the starting 11 and won’t be much in it.

The midfield and strikers badly need competition.

Forgot to add Flo but he won’t be here anyway.

If Wright signs then he’s in for Mallan with Scotty moving back central.
    I’d try swapping Newell and Allan around.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    We look powderpuff in midfield
    We look a mid table team at best, unless there is significant recruitment.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Same old dilemma in terms of formation at Hibs - we don't seem to have a balance within the squad somewhere. We could also do with some new additions - players similar in style to Bartley, Docherty, and Kamberi I think.

.......................Marciano
    ...........McGinn Hanlon Porteous
    Boyle.......................................... Stevenson
    .............Hallberg........ Mallan
    ,.............................Allan
    .................Doidge... Gullan

SDG, Jackson, McGregor, Newall, and Horgan on the bench as capable of coming in without really diminishing the quality of the first 11.
    Newell for Stevenson for a sustained run at left wing back to see if he can offer more going forward than Lewis and Omeonga or Docherty (if we can get one of them) for Mallan and this is about as good as we can muster.

If the midfield is Hallberg, Mallan and Alan then expect a start to the season like last year.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Marciano
    Gray
    Jackson
    Hanlon
    Porteous
    Stevenson
    Boyle
    Allan
    Mallan
    Horgan
    Doidge

🇳🇬
    I seriously hope not that needs strengthed a lot plus 5-4-1 not a great system especially for Doigey who definitely needs a partner up front.
    Last edited by badabing67; 01-07-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    We would need a new left wing back as a minimum in order to play that. As well as probably play Boyle on the right as I can’t see how else to get him in the team, and that impacts his ability in the final 3rd, but probably the way to go to get the most out of what we have IMO. On the flip side I think it would be perfect for getting Porteous’ progression back on track.
    Boyle at right wing back is fine, if McGinn is at right centre back then we basically play as a 4 with Boyle higher up the park anyway. For me it gives us the best balance throughout the team, and manages the dilemma of how to fit Boyle, Allan, and two strikers into a team.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Boyle at right wing back is fine, if McGinn is at right centre back then we basically play as a 4 with Boyle higher up the park anyway. For me it gives us the best balance throughout the team, and manages the dilemma of how to fit Boyle, Allan, and two strikers into a team.
    The flip side to that is that we will have no threat on the left hand side. Which, as Hearts did in the derby, means teams can overload our right, double up on Boyle and not worry about any anything coming from our left.

Word out today that Drey Wright is training with us - following on from the rumours I'd be surprised if that's not with a view to signing.
    In the games played close to lockdown JR seemed to like 2 up top, no reason to think that won't continue. I think Gullan will get plenty more minutes this season but still think we'll bring in another forward as well.

If money is tight all over and player movement out is nigh on impossible Kamberi will need to get his head down and get on with it to win a move in January when things pick up. Add Gogic to batter about as he did last season with Hamilton and that will leave the cultured midfielders to do their thing. Add Drey Wright for another wide threat and that could be us until January when the return of the fans and other revenue streams allows us to chuck cash at any deficiencies.