hibs.net Messageboard

Bobby Williamson

"Former Hibernian manager Bobby Williamson is dismayed to hear that the Easter Road club have ended the contracts of coaches Grant Murray, Lee Makel and Colin Nish and have mothballed the youth academy to cut costs as a result of the pandemic. Williamson was in charge at Hibs as Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, Kevin Thomson, Garry O'Connor, Derek Riordan and Steven Fletcher emerged." Source is The Sun.

Anyone else think this a bit rich? So keen on youth he wanted to swap Riordan and Whittaker for Bobby Mann 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Yet another attack from the Sun.

And who cares what Blobby thinks....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Former Hibernian manager Bobby Williamson is dismayed to hear that the Easter Road club have ended the contracts of coaches Grant Murray, Lee Makel and Colin Nish and have mothballed the youth academy to cut costs as a result of the pandemic. Williamson was in charge at Hibs as Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, Kevin Thomson, Garry O'Connor, Derek Riordan and Steven Fletcher emerged." Source is The Sun.

Anyone else think this a bit rich? So keen on youth he wanted to swap Riordan and Whittaker for Bobby Mann 😂

DEREK RIORDAN'S back to being talked about as one of the most exciting players in the country.
    And while Hibs manager John Hughes deserves praise for his influence, I think you have to give most of the credit to the boy himself.

John is only really in charge of Riordan when he turns up at the training ground and for matches.

Away from that environment it's up to Riordan to conduct himself properly and be professional.

I think the lad had a really hard time at Celtic and he just didn't seem to fit into Gordon Strachan's plans.

Yet talk to a lot of Celtic fans and they will tell you they were happy with his contribution, even though it was a small one at times.

Coming back to Hibs has given Riordan a lift.

He's settled into a place he knows very well. He knows the fans love him and he knows the manager rates him.

Above all, though, Riordan knows his gaffer will give him a platform to perform every week.

I happen to believe that he's starting to calm himself down off the pitch.

I sense Riordan realises it's not all about going clubbing and getting into fights or situations that he really shouldn't be involved in. He's sorting himself out away from Easter Road and you can see he's getting fitter and sharper.

We all know a fit and sharp Derek Riordan will score goals.

If he's not scoring then he's setting them up for others.

Hopefully, the penny has dropped for Riordan.

What happened to him at Celtic may be providing added motivation. It could prove to be the making of him.

A similar thing happened to me at Newcastle United. For whatever reason things didn't work out for me there.

I only played 11 matches and was used wide left in midfield. It just didn't happen for me and I returned to Hearts.

Initially, I needed a hernia operation. But after that I kicked on and never looked back.

However, I never regretted going down south. I felt I had to go and experience it.

I've no doubt Riordan felt the same when he got the chance to join Celtic. He would have looked at a chance to pick up trophies and earn good money.

In terms of playing time at Celtic it was poor for him. But in terms of the experience I think it was still beneficial.

Now, he's returned to an arena where he's absolutely adored. It's still a matter of some regret that I missed out on the chance to work with him when I was manager at Inverness.

Then Hibs manager Bobby Williamson desperately wanted to sign Bobby Mann, but didn't have the money to buy him.

So we discussed a swap deal and Bobby offered us two players from his youth team.

My assistant Donald Park and I picked Riordan and Steven Whittaker but the deal couldn't have been completed in time that particular January.

However, Bobby was still keen to agree something for the following season and there were further negotiations later.

Riordan, though, got into the Hibs team for the last six or seven games and scored five goals. The rest is history.

Credit to both Riordan and Whittaker for how their careers have progressed since.

But Riordan was so nearly an Inverness player.

The boy had a lucky escape!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Yet another attack from the Sun.

And who cares what Blobby thinks....
    Probably couldn't get hold of Kiwidug or Saughton jambo to help with a negative Hibs story ........

No axe to grind with Williamson, fairly uninspiring Hibs manager but it's not as if we're the only club cutting back and we're doing it with a plan to come out of this as well.

Really looking forward to the Sun's interview with Levein about the relegation season.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Blobby will be more upset the cinemas are shut.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Testimonial Due
    Read it this morning, had to laugh at the amount of money made from selling our players £13 million.
    Yesterday it was reported that Liverpool had spent £1.5 billion in the 30 years to try and win the EPL???
    Shows the great disparity in different football leagues!!!!

Read the article. He's not "dismayed" at all as the headline suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Read it this morning, had to laugh at the amount of money made from selling our players £13 million.
    Yesterday it was reported that Liverpool had spent £1.5 billion in the 30 years to try and win the EPL???
    Shows the great disparity in different football leagues!!!!
    They did win 14 other major trophies in that time tbf.