hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Former Brazil goalkeeper Bruno

This caught my eye on the BBC Sport website today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53148338

Was this big news around the world at the time? I don't actually recall a lot about it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This caught my eye on the BBC Sport website today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53148338

Was this big news around the world at the time? I don't actually recall a lot about it.
    Was workin in Brazil & returnin regularly at the time to Scotland & Spain, was big news in Brasil but never saw anything at all elsewhere.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Was workin in Brazil & returnin regularly at the time to Scotland & Spain, was big news in Brasil but never saw anything at all elsewhere.
    It's certainly a gruesome tale.

Yeah, remember it from the time. Horrible stuff.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Sadly my wife tells me Brazil has a huge problem with “femicide” not a term we thankfully hear much of in the UK - although we’ll have our problem too. Kinda intertwined with their cultural position I guess which can be quite overly macho I parts.
    Such a wonderful country and people.
    i was welcomed into the family as a “gringo” and treated me like a king, despite some of her family being quite poor. Pity they have a lunatic at the helm of their country.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Sadly my wife tells me Brazil has a huge problem with “femicide” not a term we thankfully hear much of in the UK - although we’ll have our problem too. Kinda intertwined with their cultural position I guess which can be quite overly macho I parts.
    Such a wonderful country and people.
    i was welcomed into the family as a “gringo” and treated me like a king, despite some of her family being quite poor. Pity they have a lunatic at the helm of their country.
    My impression was 70% of the best people I’d ever encountered, but the badasses were as bad as I never wished to meet again.

My impression was 70% of the best people I’d ever encountered, but the badasses were as bad as I never wished to meet again.
    yeah life is pretty cheap out there. I’ve not come across incidents personally but my wife’s grandparents were held are knifepoint in their home whilst their stuff was pinched,her cousin was beaten up whilst her uncles place was robbed, another uncle was stabbed to death at a cash point (the dude was mentally ill) and we’ve had a friend who was held over a few days whilst the guys forced him to withdraw the mad on his card then waited, did it again. Her cousins dad was stabbed to death.
    social deprecation is quite stark. They can’t afford furloughs and Bolsonaro is cutting back on the social safety net (The previous regime’s Bolsa familia - family purse)
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 27-06-2020 at 06:07 AM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

Where were you working? Did you ever meet up with Andrew Downie ? He’s a Hibee journalist was based in Rio but moved to São Paulo iirc although noted from Twitter looks like his back in the uk. He wrote a book on Socrates - the Brazilian national team captain, a doctor and an opponent of the military dictatorship. Received quite a lot of plaudits.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Where were you working? Did you ever meet up with Andrew Downie ? He’s a Hibee journalist was based in Rio but moved to São Paulo iirc although noted from Twitter looks like his back in the uk. He wrote a book on Socrates - the Brazilian national team captain, a doctor and an opponent of the military dictatorship. Received quite a lot of plaudits.
    Doctor socrates? I've just bought that book! Didn't realise the author was a Hibs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Doctor socrates? I've just bought that book! Didn't realise the author was a Hibs fan.
    He is indeed one of our own.