hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 80 of 80

Thread: Fraser Fyvie

  1. #61
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mallan been a complete waste of space for a long time. Completely gutless and not scoring for a some time. We are a man down when he plays.
    Can't agree with this. Mallan is a good player. Unfortunately I don't think he can play in the same team as Scott Allan as they want to occupy the same positions and neither are particularly good at the defensive part of the game.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,738
    Fyvie made a bigger contribution at Hibs than Mallan has done.

    Fyvie was generally played in his right position, in a good team, against poor opposition though.

    Mallan I feel a bit sorry for. He clearly has something about him but is being judged by many for being very poor when played out of position. It would be interesting to see what he could do in a decent team, played in the right position.

  4. #63
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that's an entire season he hasn't been anywhere near taking Allan's spot. How long do we wait?

    I'd rather guys on the wages Mallan is probably earning were actually good enough to play every week.
    The original point was that Mallan was hung out to dry a bit by previous managers playing him in a role that doesn't suit him.

    As for the above, what you think he probably earns is irrelevant. It is up to Ross to get value from him. What is encouraging from last season is Ross seems to recognise that Mallans best position is further forward. If that leads to using him as a sub or only in certain games then so be it, at least we might get a chance to see and judge him in his best position which we have rarely seen so far.

  5. #64
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    10,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Entitled to share my opinion as much as you are mate, itís a fans forum for discussion. Iím not sure why my opinion on fraser fyvie offends you so much, itís nothing personal I just didnít rate him.

    Funnily enough, I canít think of a dozen specific examples of a player giving the ball away 4 years ago off the top of my head. I remember the rangers game as it was a huge game and it cost us the equaliser, not to mention his pathetic defending at the 4th goal. The fact of the matter is it was a feature of his game that really let him down. Iím not the only one who seen it, perhaps you just choose to look past it.

    Mallanís levels above fyvie technically. Shooting, passing, first touch - not even close for me. Gets about the pitch less and not as robust but a far better footballer.
    It offends me because you present that opinion as well as knocking others opinions down. You literally open you post by slating others opinions.

    I didn't chose to look past it, he didn't give the ball away that much, simple as. It didn't happen. No more than McGinn. Fyvie was the deep lying guy, the guy who passed it the most, the guy who took it off the fullbacks (notice how often they turn back now, that wasn't a thing 3 years ago). He had a stinker that day against Rangers. It was such an anomly that it is still literally the only one anyone ever comes up with.

    Mallan is only levels above him in shooting. He gives the ball away plenty as well. Watch next time he plays how often it happens. Fyvie dominates him in consistency, mentality, positioning, determination, decision making, workrate.

  6. #65
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    10,605
    Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The original point was that Mallan was hung out to dry a bit by previous managers playing him in a role that doesn't suit him.

    As for the above, what you think he probably earns is irrelevant. It is up to Ross to get value from him. What is encouraging from last season is Ross seems to recognise that Mallans best position is further forward. If that leads to using him as a sub or only in certain games then so be it, at least we might get a chance to see and judge him in his best position which we have rarely seen so far.
    Is it his best position? Other than his shooting, what makes him so good there? He cant beat a man, doesn't run with the ball, doesn't split the opposition and isn't very fast. Those are pretty vital things to be a good attacking midfielder.

  7. #66
    I think Mallan is a good player. He's scored some great goals for us and it's worth mentioning that only Tavernier and McGregor had more assists than him in the Premiership last season.

    The players must rate him for voting him player of the season.

  8. #67
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it his best position? Other than his shooting, what makes him so good there? He cant beat a man, doesn't run with the ball, doesn't split the opposition and isn't very fast. Those are pretty vital things to be a good attacking midfielder.
    I'm not sure what your point is other than you don't rate Mallan as a footballer.

    I'm not saying he is definitely going to be good if played there or that he is a great player. All i'm saying is i think he was hung out to dry a bit and should get a chance to change peoples opinion of him by playing in his best position.

    Mallan himself said that the best 6 months of his career came at st mirren after mcginn was signed and he was freed from defensive duties to get forward. Add his obvious excellent technical ability and poor defensive qualities and i think its fair to say his best position is as an attacking midfield player.

  9. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It offends me because you present that opinion as well as knocking others opinions down. You literally open you post by slating others opinions.

    I didn't chose to look past it, he didn't give the ball away that much, simple as. It didn't happen. No more than McGinn. Fyvie was the deep lying guy, the guy who passed it the most, the guy who took it off the fullbacks (notice how often they turn back now, that wasn't a thing 3 years ago). He had a stinker that day against Rangers. It was such an anomly that it is still literally the only one anyone ever comes up with.

    Mallan is only levels above him in shooting. He gives the ball away plenty as well. Watch next time he plays how often it happens. Fyvie dominates him in consistency, mentality, positioning, determination, decision making, workrate.
    I think youíre being a bit sensitive there chief but not going to get into an argument over something trivial.

    Haha I went to enough games to know itís not a pigment of my imagination, used to drive me crazy, he was terrible for giving the ball away. Iím not the only one saying it - we canny all have made it up?

    Would give you determination and work rate. Any technical ability comparison mallan wipes the floor with him. Obviously I disagree on decision making given my groans about fyvieís carelessness in possession.

  10. #69
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    10,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think youíre being a bit sensitive there chief but not going to get into an argument over something trivial.

    Haha I went to enough games to know itís not a pigment of my imagination, used to drive me crazy, he was terrible for giving the ball away. Iím not the only one saying it - we canny all have made it up?

    Would give you determination and work rate. Any technical ability comparison mallan wipes the floor with him. Obviously I disagree on decision making given my groans about fyvieís carelessness in possession.
    I'm not being sensitive, you cannot expect your posts to be taken serious and your right to an opinion respected when you start by insulting others opinions.

    I'd say tackling is a technical attribute? Fyvie has it there by miles. Mallan is tidy, nice to watch on a youtube highlight reel. The reality is quite different. A reason one was a vital player in the cup winning Hibs side and the other not even the best player in his position.

    I went to enough games to know he didn't give it away. You, in my opinion, are blinded by 1 match against Rangers. Shame because you'd think his cup winning performance against Rangers would be the one that sticks in the memory.

    I think the facts are way in Fyvies favour. Mallan as I say looks tidy on youtube but aside from the odd goal offers very little.

  11. #70
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    10,605
    Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure what your point is other than you don't rate Mallan as a footballer.

    I'm not saying he is definitely going to be good if played there or that he is a great player. All i'm saying is i think he was hung out to dry a bit and should get a chance to change peoples opinion of him by playing in his best position.

    Mallan himself said that the best 6 months of his career came at st mirren after mcginn was signed and he was freed from defensive duties to get forward. Add his obvious excellent technical ability and poor defensive qualities and i think its fair to say his best position is as an attacking midfield player.
    He doesn't have excellent technical ability. Dribbling is a technical ability and he isn't good at it. Passing is a technical ability and he isn't really very good at it.

    I just don't see it with Mallan at all. He is still living off a good first 4 months or so. Offered next to nothing for 18 months now. His arrival and playing every week has coincided with a real decline in our midfield.

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He doesn't have excellent technical ability. Dribbling is a technical ability and he isn't good at it. Passing is a technical ability and he isn't really very good at it.

    I just don't see it with Mallan at all. He is still living off a good first 4 months or so. Offered next to nothing for 18 months now. His arrival and playing every week has coincided with a real decline in our midfield.
    We have hijacked this thread a bit so will leave it at you think he is p*sh and i think the jury is still out given we haven't seen him play regularly in his right position with the right blend of players around him.

  13. #72
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,026
    Any new threads on Fyvie should be banned. He's been done to death on here. His career confirms that he's nowhere near as good or bad as folk on here continually make out.

  14. #73
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    10,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any new threads on Fyvie should be banned. He's been done to death on here. His career confirms that he's nowhere near as good or bad as folk on here continually make out.
    His career confirms he got some bad injuries and decided to be closer to home while earning a good wage. After winning 2 major cups, one either side of the border, I'm sure he is quite happy.

    I don't see why threads on any football related subject should be banned on here. If you dislike the subject, don't open it. I think normal members trying to police the forum is much worse than any repetition in subject.

  15. #74
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,026
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His career confirms he got some bad injuries and decided to be closer to home while earning a good wage. After winning 2 major cups, one either side of the border, I'm sure he is quite happy.

    I don't see why threads on any football related subject should be banned on here. If you dislike the subject, don't open it. I think normal members trying to police the forum is much worse than any repetition in subject.
    I wasn't really being serious. I just can't be bothered with the same old debates over and over again. Amen.

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    10,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't really being serious. I just can't be bothered with the same old debates over and over again. Amen.
    👍

  17. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not being sensitive, you cannot expect your posts to be taken serious and your right to an opinion respected when you start by insulting others opinions.

    I'd say tackling is a technical attribute? Fyvie has it there by miles. Mallan is tidy, nice to watch on a youtube highlight reel. The reality is quite different. A reason one was a vital player in the cup winning Hibs side and the other not even the best player in his position.

    I went to enough games to know he didn't give it away. You, in my opinion, are blinded by 1 match against Rangers. Shame because you'd think his cup winning performance against Rangers would be the one that sticks in the memory.

    I think the facts are way in Fyvies favour. Mallan as I say looks tidy on youtube but aside from the odd goal offers very little.
    At no point have I insulted you or your opinion, or anyoneís for that matter. No idea where youíre getting that from.

    When i say technical i really mean in possession of the ball. Iíve already agreed fyvie was better without it, itís what he did with it when he had it that i didnít like.

    I donít agree the facts are in fyvieís favour. The facts are heís 27 and should be in his prime but plays part time at cove rangers. I think hibs fans are very attached to every member of the cup winning team, which i can understand, but perhaps it clouds your memory slightly.

  18. #77
    Testimonial Due The_Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't really being serious. I just can't be bothered with the same old debates over and over again. Amen.
    The thread is literally titled "Fraser Fyvie". Why did you open it, presumably read it all, get raging, then tell us all we shouldn't talk about him? The mindset is as intriguing as it is baffling mate. If you can't be bothered with discussions about it then don't open the ****ing thread.

  19. #78
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    10,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At no point have I insulted you or your opinion, or anyoneís for that matter. No idea where youíre getting that from.

    When i say technical i really mean in possession of the ball. Iíve already agreed fyvie was better without it, itís what he did with it when he had it that i didnít like.

    I donít agree the facts are in fyvieís favour. The facts are heís 27 and should be in his prime but plays part time at cove rangers. I think hibs fans are very attached to every member of the cup winning team, which i can understand, but perhaps it clouds your memory slightly.
    It really does not cloud my memory. I've been slaughtered many times on here for critising Gray, Logan, Stokes, Cummings etc. Stop looking for reasons that cloud my judgement of Fyvie. I think he is a quality player, simple as that. I could just as easily say your (and basically everyone on here) opinion of Mallan is clouded because of the 4 months or so of good formed he showed.

    Facts are he has won an FA cup and a Scottish cup while Mallan is maybe the backup in his position here.

  20. #79
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,026
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thread is literally titled "Fraser Fyvie". Why did you open it, presumably read it all, get raging, then tell us all we shouldn't talk about him? The mindset is as intriguing as it is baffling mate. If you can't be bothered with discussions about it then don't open the ****ing thread.
    Jings calm doon!

  21. #80
    First Team Breakthrough Inconsequential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It really does not cloud my memory. I've been slaughtered many times on here for critising Gray, Logan, Stokes, Cummings etc. Stop looking for reasons that cloud my judgement of Fyvie. I think he is a quality player, simple as that. I could just as easily say your (and basically everyone on here) opinion of Mallan is clouded because of the 4 months or so of good formed he showed.

    Facts are he has won an FA cup and a Scottish cup while Mallan is maybe the backup in his position here.
    Stevie Mallan hasn't played since Boxing Day when he was injured. Who knows what role he will resume with Hibs? I believe he would be in the team more often than not. Fraser Fyvie left the club quite some time ago and remains in the past. He was never one of my favourites and his passing from time to time was certainly erratic. He was a steady player though but I think Hibs were the pinnacle of his career. Had his chance to stay blew it. How his career has gone since leaving Hibs has mirrored this. Mallan now has a manager who will know how to get the best out of him.
    Last edited by Inconsequential; 27-06-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: error

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)