hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steven fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not bitter at all just making conversation as I said I really like Steven and he has done great for himself he should be applauded. I simply think for the fee and wages spent on him his record in England is disappointing. Doesn't make him a bad player or a bad guy it is just my opinion. Sorry if I have upset you. And of course you were correct it was an even more expensive Lamborghini
    Just curious as to what you are expecting from him? Are you weighing up the issues he has had? He played, in three spells, for one of the worst sides in the league (Burnley, wolves and Sunderland), chances are at a premium, teams getting pumped week in week out, he still managed to hit double figures and averaged a goal every 3/4 games I’m sure.

He’s since went to Wednesday and is massively influential, he has also been a top servant for Scotland and scored plenty goals.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Just curious as to what you are expecting from him? Are you weighing up the issues he has had? He played, in three spells, for one of the worst sides in the league (Burnley, wolves and Sunderland), chances are at a premium, teams getting pumped week in week out, he still managed to hit double figures and averaged a goal every 3/4 games I’m sure.

He’s since went to Wednesday and is massively influential, he has also been a top servant for Scotland and scored plenty goals.
    Not expecting anything I simply don't think his record is good. We are allowed to disagree?

He was relegated with every EPL team he played for maybe twice in the same season? So it is clear he and his teammates did not achieve what their clubs had hoped for.

I will say it for a third time I like Steven i think he has done really well for himself he is very good player but just did not quite deliver enough at the highest level. Has done okay in the Championship without setting the heather alight.

Would much rather hibs players pulling up in Aventadors than BMW's

First Team Breakthrough
    He’s had a good career, paid well.

I would guess there is 0 chance of us signing him, even if we were at our best financially and offered 6k and a 100k signing on fee. He could get that in 2-3 months wages down there.

He’s averaged a goal every three and a bit games across his career that’s spanned spells in the SPL, EPL, English Championship and Ligue 1 as well as ten goals in 33 Scotland caps. And a lot of that playing for ‘unfashionable‘ teams where his chances would be limited.

He‘s hit double figures in 11 seasons he’s been a pro. The only seasons he didn’t were when he was at Sunderland, and that’s been an absolute basket case of a club for donkeys. If that’s a poor return, I’d take a striker with that poor return at ER every day of the week, and that’s before you take into account his wider influence on the team through work ethic etc.

I actually think he might end up at Celtic, he’s still good mates with Scott Brown and they need another good striker. He’d easily score 20 with them.

Not expecting anything I simply don't think his record is good. We are allowed to disagree?

He was relegated with every EPL team he played for maybe twice in the same season? So it is clear he and his teammates did not achieve what their clubs had hoped for.

I will say it for a third time I like Steven i think he has done really well for himself he is very good player but just did not quite deliver enough at the highest level. Has done okay in the Championship without setting the heather alight.
    You are allowed to disagree, of course, however saying he didn’t deliver enough at the highest level is nonsense, plain and simple.

His spells at Burnley and Wolves were outstanding, hence his big money moves. He had an injury hit time at Sunderland, and is now scoring loads in the championship. Bearing in mind that his game isn’t all about goals and never has been, then his return along with the rest of his game is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Putting aside the fact we could only afford him if he wanted to come back, is he too similar in style to Doidge or could they play together?
    It’s a good point, they are similar but I’d say the similarity is more in their running style than in the positions they play. Doidge is maybe more like Colin Nish in the role he plays, and Fletcher did well next to him.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I hear what you are saying but he’s had a very good career and would surely would do great back here, in the highly unlikely event we can sign him.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    I kinda went off him when he filmed himself gobbing on the back of a rickshaw driver ‘for a laugh’.
    Pretty ****my behaviour.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Way way out our wage bracket
    Depends where his mind is at.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Correct, however what he delivers for that pay is.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...nger-fans.html
    Nice Italian car. What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Nice Italian car. What's the problem?

No problem great car

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I hear what you are saying but he’s had a very good career and would surely would do great back here, in the highly unlikely event we can sign him.
    He would be fantastic in any Scottish team

You are allowed to disagree, of course, however saying he didn’t deliver enough at the highest level is nonsense, plain and simple.

His spells at Burnley and Wolves were outstanding, hence his big money moves. He had an injury hit time at Sunderland, and is now scoring loads in the championship. Bearing in mind that his game isn’t all about goals and never has been, then his return along with the rest of his game is very good.
    We will just agree to disagree.

As I say not looking for an argument this may develop in to do I will leave it there.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    Has he learned to use his right foot yet?
    That was a major source of frustration when he was at ER, the way he would make things harder for himself by trying to switch the ball to his left before shooting. I've not seen him play for years but I'd hope he's improved that aspect of his game by now, although having just had a look at his career goals tally it's not actually that great for a striker so perhaps his reliance on his left has contributed to that.

I liked him a lot at ER (he and Benji were wonderful in the 2007 LC final), but while he's obviously gone on to play at a good level and earned a lot from his career I thought he had the potential to do even better.

@hibs.net private member
    I could see Fletcher ending up as a squad player at a Celtic for a couple of years ...would be good for anyone up here ...

In his first 4 years in the premier league he scored 41 goals. That was in 124 appearences.

Compares very well to some other target men or guys who do a lot of running and work for the team, especially when you think about the poor players he had around him.

Drogba got 50 in his first 4 years. 110 appearences.

Firmino got 48 in 137.

Adebayor got 46 in 104

Giroud got 57 in 135

Obviously those are pretty meaningless comparisons but just a small sample size. Those guys are top/were top players playing with guys like Lampard, Salah, Fabregas, Ozil, Robben.

Fletcher was a very good player down there for 4 years. If he had moved to a decent size like Everton or Southampton instead of Sunderland he would've continued that for longer.

Im not sure he would move back up here. Didnt his mum move to County Durham with new partner plus im sure his child will be at school in England.
    I doubt Hibs can afford his wages anyway at this time

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Not a snowballs chance in hell will fletcher re-sign for us.