hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Halliday went to Renfrew High, his local team is St. Mirren.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...t-been-6106230

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I think that’s the first time any of us will have heard of LS being a Hun. Can’t see it as he’s a good human being.
    Ok sorry- I'll tell people who knew him at school they're mistaken.

It's hardly important and clearly LS is Hibs through and through now but still absolute nonsense to say a Rangers fan can't be a decent person regardless.

My Jambo mate (I know) convinced he's joining them

If halliday signed for us,personally I would be delighted.likeable guy,mates with scott alan and quite versatile.kind of player we could use in shrewd times.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Then again they’re convinced everyone’s joining them just now

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Those who think he is an ok guy after watching an interview with him still know he is a hun, a died in the wool hun, with all that entails, the songs, the bigotry, you know all the extra lovely stuff you get with huns. I'd spew a little in my mouth if he ever signed for us, but I highly doubt he would sign for a club like Hibs anyway. He may well be a 'decent' enough bloke, but I bet you anything he sang about being up to his knees in blood quite a few times through his life and I can't equate bigotry with decency... just saying.
    This, with bells on.

Rangers had a policy of not signing Roman Catholics until 1988. A form of discrimination on religious grounds.

When they finally did sign a Roman Catholic, some of their Fans threatened to return their Season Tickets.

Those same fans, en-masse, still sing sectarian songs abut their hatred of Roman Catholics and call people they don't like 'Taigs' and 'Fenians'.

Their club occasionally pays lip service, purely for PR reasons, to condemning sectarianism, and usually only if it's been given a fine by UEFA. At all other times, it does what it can to boost the loyalist, right-wing image that many of it's supporters revel in, e.g. by bringing out Orange shirts and waving Union Jacks as the players enter the pitch

-- By way of comparison --

Some southern states in the US only gave up racial segregation in the 1960s. They kept black people 'in their place' and did what they could to establish a distance between them and white people.

Now, imagine their was a US equivalent of Rangers in those Southern States that finally signed a black player in 1988, much to the dismay of part of their support, and a large part of their fan base continued to sing racist songs in their stadium, glorifying the hanging of black people and widely use the 'N' word.

How would you feel about someone, that was otherwise enlightened and a reasonably decent person, continuing to support that club, sitting in their stadium week after week, listening to those songs and racial insults?

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 24-06-2020 at 02:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He’s well above championship level

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Halliday went to Renfrew High, his local team is St. Mirren.
    Would Love St & Ibrox not be about equidistant from Renfrew HS?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    You get a much better impression of what players are really like on Open Goal it has to be said. I agree he seemed a decent guy and i'd say the same about all the Rangers players they've had on.
    I agree - but do you not think that 95% of footballers will be "decent guys"?

Just like 95% of plumbers, lawyers, civil servants, electricians etc. I've never understood why people would think that because someone plays football for a couple of years for Rangers, Hearts, Bolton or whoever, they are automatically a bad person. You'd expect footballers to give their all for whoever they are playing for.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Good watch. Seems like a good guy and he’s also a decent player. Wouldn’t mind him at Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quite enjoyed his interview. Came over very well. Ricky forsters one was good too!

I’ve no doubt that there are decent folk that support the rangers out there. There are many in their number who are a pretty conflicted bunch though. I know a lot of supposedly well educated and professional Rangers fans, many of whom are married to Roman Catholics and send their children to Roman Catholic schools but still sing their songs after a wee drink and come out with some real nonsense going on about historical battles...No Surrender etc. There is a systemic problem of anti Roman Catholic sentiment at that club and my observation is that most of their supporters get wooed by it to some degree.

I’ve taken them to task on it from time to time and usually you get a response of “aye but we are the people”.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    What absolute nonsense.
    Yeah, although I find decent ones in the minority sadly. Rangers pal of mine admitted that this week.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Decent human beings dont support Rangers
    Depressing! I know many decent Rangers fans (as I do Celtic, Hearts etc). And it's "don't" by the way!

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Those who think he is an ok guy after watching an interview with him still know he is a hun, a died in the wool hun, with all that entails, the songs, the bigotry, you know all the extra lovely stuff you get with huns. I'd spew a little in my mouth if he ever signed for us, but I highly doubt he would sign for a club like Hibs anyway. He may well be a 'decent' enough bloke, but I bet you anything he sang about being up to his knees in blood quite a few times through his life and I can't equate bigotry with decency... just saying.
    Gee whizz. What a load of rubbish.