hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Adverts

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I logged out to see what it looks like for guests and can't see many intrusive adverts myself. I'm using an android phone and on the hibs.net lite system.

There's a small advert (1/10th of the screen at most) that stays visible throughout the thread. Otherwise the other adverts are static, a couple at the top (3, should reduce to 2 if you log in and aren't a PM) and one at the bottom, that you only see when you're looking at either end of each page.

Edit: I see I've ended up being the top post of page 5 and so will have my post surrounded by adverts. The irony isn't lost on me here.
    Last edited by danhibees1875; 27-06-2020 at 09:16 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its weird you compare it to the EN site. I know exactly what you mean by that but the admin team apart from the odd occasion are not seeing anything like that even when we log out ourselves

Times are not particularly hard. The site funds itself comfortably enough to function and any extra is donated to Hibs in some form.

Improvements to the site need to be funded though so looking at extra income is always worth a try.

Appreciate all feedback though.
    I’m using the site mainly on the Hibs.net lite setting on iPhone 7plus if that helps. Maybe it looks better on desktop or through tapatalk?

Jonty may have a better answer for you but yes we do have a test site which we are using however I suspect its easier to update the 'live' site as we get a lot more instant feedback

Myself and another admin were looking around on the site earlier whilst not logged in on all the different options and we personally didn't find it as bad as some of the posters have made it out to be but maybe its different on different systems/phones.

Cheers.

Yeah, I can see the feedback is quite, ahem, 'informative'

FWIW, I've been trying it out on a few environments and haven't seen as many major issues, though maybe I've just been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I logged out to see what it looks like for guests and can't see many intrusive adverts myself. I'm using an android phone and on the hibs.net lite system.

There's a small advert (1/10th of the screen at most) that stays visible throughout the thread. Otherwise the other adverts are static, a couple at the top (3, should reduce to 2 if you log in and aren't a PM) and one at the bottom, that you only see when you're looking at either end of each page.
    I have the small banner ad at the bottom that you can click on to remove. It reappears with every new page though so constantly clicking to remove it will get annoying pretty quickly. There are also large intrusive adverts at the top and bottom of each page, and scattered in between posts. Because the colour and style of the ads are so different to the Hibs.net design, it really affects the flow of a thread and IMO makes it pretty difficult to read.

It looks cheap and tacky now. Reminds me of kickback, which isn’t good!

As I said, I’ll definitely renew my PM now. It’s been a beamer it’s taken me this long since it lapsed to be honest. I do think that the new ad layout will put less regular users off. You might end up with more PMs but fewer overall users. Guess it depends what the site wants to be.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    I’m using the site mainly on the Hibs.net lite setting on iPhone 7plus if that helps. Maybe it looks better on desktop or through tapatalk?
    I personally use Lite and as an admin I am always logged in so wouldn't see ads but like I say we logged out earlier to try it out again and are not seeing anything too intrusive. It is maybe a bit different to before but not anything like the completely unusable EN site.

I've never used tapatalk though so can't comment on that.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

I have the small banner ad at the bottom that you can click on to remove. It reappears with every new page though so constantly clicking to remove it will get annoying pretty quickly. There are also large intrusive adverts at the top and bottom of each page, and scattered in between posts. Because the colour and style of the ads are so different to the Hibs.net design, it really affects the flow of a thread and IMO makes it pretty difficult to read.

It looks cheap and tacky now. Reminds me of kickback, which isn’t good!

As I said, I’ll definitely renew my PM now. It’s been a beamer it’s taken me this long since it lapsed to be honest. I do think that the new ad layout will put less regular users off. You might end up with more PMs but fewer overall users. Guess it depends what the site wants to be.
    Re. the highlighted part. The only time there is an advert in between posts is between the first and second post. Are you seeing different?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Re. the highlighted part. The only time there is an advert in between posts is between the first and second post. Are you seeing different?
    No, you’re right enough. So you have a large ad at the top, the first post and then another ad. Then the rest of the page, followed by an ad at the bottom and then the removable banner ad at the base of the screen. That’s what I’m seeing.

I think the main problem is the style of the website has been ruined (IMO) due to the ads being so different in colour and design. I guess if paying members don’t see them then their experience will be fine. But I reckon it’ll put off casual users and potentially new users.

Anyway, just my feedback. Perhaps most folks will cope fine, but for the moment I’m off to buy a Spearfishing Wetsuit. It’s either that or the tenner subscription fee!

IMHO, the mobile experience is best (for anybody not logged in as a PM).

Gamer IDs

No, you’re right enough. So you have a large ad at the top, the first post and then another ad. Then the rest of the page, followed by an ad at the bottom and then the removable banner ad at the base of the screen. That’s what I’m seeing.

I think the main problem is the style of the website has been ruined (IMO) due to the ads being so different in colour and design. I guess if paying members don’t see them then their experience will be fine. But I reckon it’ll put off casual users and potentially new users.

Anyway, just my feedback. Perhaps most folks will cope fine, but for the moment I’m off to buy a Spearfishing Wetsuit. It’s either that or the tenner subscription fee!
    Thanks for that and again thanks for the support. We are taking the feedback seriously so it is welcomed. Cheers

Genuine query, is the site struggling with funding or something? Why have the admins felt the need to plaster the site with adverts?

Might be an ignorant opinion as I've never run a site before but surely when it comes to operational cost it's just paying for a server and domain and you're done?

Again, these are genuine questions, not trying to stick the knife in or anything.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Genuine query, is the site struggling with funding or something? Why have the admins felt the need to plaster the site with adverts?

Might be an ignorant opinion as I've never run a site before but surely when it comes to operational cost it's just paying for a server and domain and you're done?

Again, these are genuine questions, not trying to stick the knife in or anything.
    I answered the funding query earlier so feel free to scroll back

As for 'plaster the site with adverts'?

As far as I am aware there is only one new advert which is the scrolling bar at the bottom which we insisted on a close button for. All other adverts were already there so comments like yours whilst welcomed are puzzling.

We genuinely appreciate the feedback so if anyone wants to post some examples of EN comparisons or 'plastering' we would love to see them.

I answered the funding query earlier so feel free to scroll back

As for 'plaster the site with adverts'?

As far as I am aware there is only one new advert which is the scrolling bar at the bottom which we insisted on a close button for. All other adverts were already there so comments like yours whilst welcomed are puzzling.

We genuinely appreciate the feedback so if anyone wants to post some examples of EN comparisons or 'plastering' we would love to see them.
    Hmm that's really odd, maybe I was very lucky before as I've never seen an ad on this site in my entire time using it...

I'd love to scroll back and see your previous response on funding mate but I can barely see a thing on this forum now other than spearfishing wetsuits 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    OK, tho in my defence it was a joke - I wasn't being serious.

Just to clarify: if you become a private member, do you definitely lose all adverts? Forever?
    Yes.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Hmm that's really odd, maybe I was very lucky before as I've never seen an ad on this site in my entire time using it...

I'd love to scroll back and see your previous response on funding mate but I can barely see a thing on this forum now other than spearfishing wetsuits 😂
    Wetsuits and pillow cases give an intriguing insight into the habits of Hibs fans.

There's tomorrow's Sun headline right there.

@hibs.net private member
    I pay 2p per day and there are no adverts and the site runs great. Over time a good chunk of that goes to Hibernian too.

Some of you should try it

Now i’m getting adverts for direct cremation wtf.
    Whats wrong with me?
    Does my phone know something i dont?
    Are a squad going to come round mine with an incineration gun and small metal bucket 10 mins after i croak it?

Thought I would pop back on to see if the adverts had gone. I've went from having no adverts to having a large advert at the top, a large one after the 1st post and a large one at the bottom. Spoiled the user experience for me and I wont be cornered in to paying a tenner to have them removed.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Thought I would pop back on to see if the adverts had gone. I've went from having no adverts to having a large advert at the top, a large one after the 1st post and a large one at the bottom. Spoiled the user experience for me and I wont be cornered in to paying a tenner to have them removed.
    It’s already been explained on this thread that it was never our intention to use the ads to get more PM’s.

It’s a work in progress behind the scenes and we are listening to all feedback.

Nobody is cornering anyone to do anything. It’s entirely your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Wetsuits and pillow cases give an intriguing insight into the habits of Hibs fans.

There's tomorrow's Sun headline right there.
    The perfect combo for bedwetters. Makes sense.

But being serious for a second, it can’t be said that this improves the look of the site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    But being serious for a second, it can’t be said that this improves the look of the site.
    Thanks for the screenshot - that's a big help and I agree, it's not the look we're going for.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    I've always had the main ad at the top of a page and a smaller square ad embedded in the first & last post on each page. They've never bothered me as I understand the need for revenue and I pay very little attention to them.

The one that does annoy me though, is the new pop up ad that appears at the bottom the screen every time a page loads.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Do the adverts bring in revenue from just being on the site or is it if they are clicked on?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Do the adverts bring in revenue from just being on the site
    That's right

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Yeah, ignore those Hibs.net scammers! You’ve got their number.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post
    I pay 2p per day and there are no adverts and the site runs great. Over time a good chunk of that goes to Hibernian too.

Some of you should try it
    You get a private membership for £7.30? They’ve been charging me £10 for their Ponzi scheme for years!...

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    You get a private membership for £7.30? They’ve been charging me £10 for their Ponzi scheme for years!...
    I'm always surprised that it's never gone up. Excellent value for minimal cost.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I'm always surprised that it's never gone up. Excellent value for minimal cost.
    Utterly intrusive and completely spoiling the “flow” of the site.
    Will be avoiding .net in future if this is what it’s going to look like.
    Can’t imagine I’m the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Do the adverts bring in revenue from just being on the site or is it if they are clicked on?
    How much revenue? I want to know my suffering is bringing in a decent whack.