hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Adverts

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was another mobile version which had been left as an option by mistake. We have now removed it as it wasn't meant to be there.

Apologies to SDG but it was an old skin which had been missed at the last update.
    Do you mind if I ask why the other mobile view was removed and never meant to be there but the other one's still there? There just doesn't seem to be any comparison between the look, feel, functionality and how easy they both are/were to use and navigate.

I want to be clear that I'm absolutely not against change if it's for the better and I'm happy to give things a bit of time if there's further updates planned soon but I have to be completely honest and say that, as someone who almost always views the site on my phone, my experience of using the site has dropped as a result of this change.

I hope that the admin team take my comments in the constructive way in which they are intended.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Do you mind if I ask why the other mobile view was removed and never meant to be there but the other one's still there? There just doesn't seem to be any comparison between the look, feel, functionality and how easy they both are/were to use and navigate.

I want to be clear that I'm absolutely not against change if it's for the better and I'm happy to give things a bit of time if there's further updates planned soon but I have to be completely honest and say that, as someone who almost always views the site on my phone, my experience of using the site has dropped as a result of this change.

I hope that the admin team take my comments in the constructive way in which they are intended.
    You could always raise a petition and take it to the CoS?

It’s not a great user experience but knowing the site well and what it stands for and promotes, I can put up with it.

Great that the site generates so much money for the club but some could be invested back into the site providing a slicker experience meaning increased traffic and more revenue potential.

Does the site use Cloud technologies? is their a pre production, pipeline of development sites or back up that could be used to gauge user experiences away from the live site before tinkering with your live platform? Not a great way to gather feedback generally.

Understand the pressures and difficulties but it does feel there is a less intrusive way to get the end result. However, easy to criticise from the side lines (see what I did there?)

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    You could always raise a petition and take it to the CoS?
    Sorry you've lost me.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    God knows what view settings Im using but im not seeing any ads other than the tapatalk adds. Not on as often on the pc but not really getting the terrible experience others seem to be at the moment.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    Hibs.net was a pleasure to read just a couple of weeks ago, but the new banner adds at the bottom of the page are just painful on a PC as i have to close these off every time i want to read a page or change a page. If you drop them, i may be inclined to become a more frequent visitor to the site and accordingly read the many other fantastic adverts on display.
    It's like something out of the 2000's. Intrusive, unwanted, spam-like advertising that annoys does nothing for the brands that advertise or the host. Get rid of these annoying ads. Nothing Hibs class about them.

Sorry you've lost me.
    Its kind of topical - but hey-ho.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Sorry you've lost me.
    That’s what the judge said to the Hearts lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Its kind of topical - but hey-ho.
    Oh I see the court?

I'd hoped my earlier post wasn't seen as attention seeking or over the top. I simply wanted to provide some constructive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    That’s what the judge said to the Hearts lawyer.
    Cheers I got there eventually. I had been trying to have a serious discussion and was initially confused by the response.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I know a lot of folk aren't happy with the adverts, if we accept that there is a need for some sort of advertising on the site to cover costs/raise revenue it would probably help the admins if people shared their thoughts on what would be acceptable rather than just complaining the current attempt is unusable and will stop them coming on the site.

The sooner the admins know what folk would find acceptable the closer they probably are to getting it resolved otherwise it's just guesswork.

Doesn't bother me much now I've got used to it. If it helps cover costs fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    It's like something out of the 2000's. Intrusive, unwanted, spam-like advertising that annoys does nothing for the brands that advertise or the host. Get rid of these annoying ads. Nothing Hibs class about them.
    This. It is almost as if there are deliberate attempts to mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Doesn't bother me much now I've got used to it. If it helps cover costs fair enough
    Same here, I'm used to it now. Do get some belter as the had one for a tactical bulletproof vest and I defenfitly ain't been googling them.

I dont see any adverts once i log in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I dont see any adverts once i log in.
    Cos you're a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Make the £10 compulsory if you want to be able to post something instead of just viewing.

More money to Hibs, no ads and possibly less nonsense!
    Pretty much no forum that requires membership to post is active.

a tenner a year to remove all adverts is a no brainer. 2 pints of lager.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    a tenner a year to remove all adverts is a no brainer. 2 pints of lager.
    And a packet of crisps 👍

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Hadn’t logged in for nearly 2 weeks.
    Thought I’d check back in, assuming the horrific adverts would’ve been removed by now after such a strong backlash against them.
    Nope, just as awful as before.
    Might log on in another 2 weeks or so to check again.
    Probably won’t.

I posted up how to get rid of them but it was taken down, as this will probably be as well

Totally ruined the whole site for me and I'm a PM. Not allowed to log into any personal accounts at work so having a quick squint at Hibs.net is nigh impossible now with all these ads.

Found it a bit of a nuisance at first but used to it now. If it helps the site prosper (which in turn helps Hibs via the donations the site makes) don't see the problem.

This has to be a final warning on this point -as a site that relies upon advertising revenue, we can't allow posts that detail or link to ways of getting rid of ads on the forum.

Please refrain from posting these.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by HNA4 View Post
    This has to be a final warning on this point -as a site that relies upon advertising revenue, we can't allow posts that detail or link to ways of getting rid of ads on the forum.

Please refrain from posting these.
    ahh sorry for that. First time offender!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Passive aggressive responses certainly won’t help.

If the ads are as widespread as this trial period, then less people will visit and there’ll be no point in any ads. That’s the balance you have to find.

Don’t mind ads and understand why they’re there, but ads all over the place and having to actually click ‘close’ is counterproductive in my view.
    Exactly, we are all used to dealing with adverts, but this is ridiculous. Nor does it help with Administrators apparently treating it as some sort of 'protection racket'.

If this goes on much longer, I will be putting the offending pop-up adverts on a black list and avoid, like the plague, whatever tawdry product or services they are trying to promote.

Alternatively I may just give Hibs-net a miss.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Exactly, we are all used to dealing with adverts, but this is ridiculous. Nor does it help with Administrators apparently treating it as some sort of 'protection racket'.

If this goes on much longer, I will be putting the offending pop-up adverts on a black list and avoid, like the plague, whatever tawdry product or services they are trying to promote.

Alternatively I may just give Hibs-net a miss.
    What the hell is a 'protection racket' on here?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Going to close the thread just now.

Thank you for the constructive feedback, we are working with the ad providers on the issue raised to hopefully get to a point where we have something that works for everyone, or at the very least the majority.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net