hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If a kid has been in pro youth since they were 8 then their experience of competitive football by the time they reach the first team is almost non existent. I think that shows in the type of players we are developing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What’s the best alternative Ozy? Interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I’ll take that. The pathway from youths to the first team has been farcical for years.
    No it’s not. Stop making things up.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Ryan Porteous and Jamie Gullan are small and weak?
    Stop it. It’ll never catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    What’s the best alternative Ozy? Interested

Community clubs. Spartans Hutchie. Porty. Lochend. Tynie. And plenty others.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson2Del View Post
    Also allows for a complete overhaul to aim to become far more effective
    This

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Appreciate that . do they get better first team experience than playing for academy teams ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Appreciate that . do they get better first team experience than playing for academy teams ?

We are talking football up to 15/16. It’s competitive from age 12+ and they have chances to play in Scottish cups etc. You can win nothing at Pro-Youth. Imagine playing pro youth for 8 years then getting dropped and you’ve not even got a wee medal for all your efforts. There are very few positives from pro youth football.

Hopefully this helps end rumours and confusion regarding academy closing. Son in law just phoned me with update on grandsons situation at academy. All parents were on zoom conference call with Hibs on Monday,told as things stand there will be no football activity for academy kids this year,it remains mothballed as it has been since March. Every signed player from this season will be offered a 1 year contract from January 2021,traing videos etc will still be sent to all academy players .Hopefully they all stick in and come back with an even more burning desire to make the grade after losing out on so much playing and proper training time.

Disappointing reading if the Academy is to be closed (whether short term or permanent) but its probably a sign of things to come.
    As soon as the government finish the furlough scheme fully expect redundancies and unemployment to rise significantly as the financial impact of this pandemic is going to hit for a good few years yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    Hopefully this helps end rumours and confusion regarding academy closing. Son in law just phoned me with update on grandsons situation at academy. All parents were on zoom conference call with Hibs on Monday,told as things stand there will be no football activity for academy kids this year,it remains mothballed as it has been since March. Every signed player from this season will be offered a 1 year contract from January 2021,traing videos etc will still be sent to all academy players .Hopefully they all stick in and come back with an even more burning desire to make the grade after losing out on so much playing and proper training time.
    Thanks for the update, and hope the wee man can enjoy football again soon

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

thanks for this.

its been a depressing thread for those of us who believe Hibs future should be based around producing and developing our own players.

if the academy had to close for a year or so, to save the football club, then so be it, but I’d expect to hear reassurances from the board that it will be brought back as soon as finances allow. Particularly as Ron Gordon has already stated that making our youth system the best in the country is one of his priorities

@hibs.net private member
    Good stuff. Binning the youth set up is short term gain for long term pain.

Yip. Spend money on helping these clubs improve their coaching. Clubs can still run training camps etc. Playing competitive football is very different and some boys thrive and others don’t.
    Right now the SFA take more money out of youth football than they put in. It’s a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Good stuff. Binning the youth set up is short term gain for long term pain.
    Is it? Our youth system is hopeless. It doesn’t produce players good enough for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Is it? Our youth system is hopeless. It doesn’t produce players good enough for Hibs.

We will always need to have players coming through - trying to rely on the transfer market for a club our size is a recipe for disaster.

Ryan Porteous is absolutely good enough to play for Hibs

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Ryan Porteous and Jamie Gullan are small and weak?
    In the 12 year history of East Mains Ryan Porteous is the only graduate who could really be described as a first team regular.
    Jamie Gullan looks like he’ll make it but even he spent his earlier days at the Hearts academy.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Devastating for the kids in the set up, I hope they manage to keep their spirits up and Hibs support them in whatever way we can mentally and practically in terms of finding a new club.

That said I don’t think an academy is really needed for us, if we produce really good ones the chances are they’ll get cherry picked by a bigger club and if they don’t there’s no guarantees they’ll be able to develop the way we want them to do and even then, if there’s an established senior player in their position it can be even more difficult for them to make the break through.

I think a club of our size should be copying the Brentford set up and picking up the bigger clubs cast offs, better chance of getting the good ones in positions we likely need at a fraction of the cost and resources spent on it.

It won’t be a popular decision but it’s the right one imo.
    Agree with all of this.

I wouldn’t spend a thing on youth development.

I’d also be picking up the best youngsters from the smaller clubs. McGinn being the prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    In the 12 year history of East Mains Ryan Porteous is the only graduate who could really be described as a first team regular.
    Jamie Gullan looks like he’ll make it but even he spent his earlier days at the Hearts academy.
    Which indicates that the problem is with what we do in our academy, not the idea of an academy itself.

if other clubs can successfully develop their own players then hibs can too

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Which indicates that the problem is with what we do in our academy, not the idea of an academy itself.

if other clubs can successfully develop their own players then hibs can too
    3 managers in 2019 doesn’t help in the slightest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    3 managers in 2019 doesn’t help in the slightest
    agree.

personally I’d be happy with one good first team player coming through every two years. I think that would constitute a reasonable success

I would absolutely hate for Hibs to give up on youth development completely

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Pagan Hibernia;6210647]agree.

personally I’d be happy with one good first team player coming through every two years. I think that would constitute a reasonable success

I would absolutely hate for Hibs to give up on youth development completely[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree.

I don’t want us to give up on it but we should def look at whether we are getting our money worth. Would the money be better spent paying to get the best young players in Scotland at an older age? Say we spend £500k a year on the academy, would that money be better spent bringing in the midfielder from St. Johnstone and Nisbet from the pars? If we do that every year we will likely have more young players in our first team squad with sell on potential than we are managing just now? And we could do it every year rather than hoping a player comes through every 4 years.

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    In light of the current financial situation can we afford to own and run a dedicated TA? If we can't own such a thing we could find a TA similar to Hearts for the use if our players.

Interesting discussion and I can see the points on both sides.

They can be very expensive to operate. Even in England some of the costs of these teams playing and travelling - is it worth it without selling a player for several million every so often to find the operation.

I watched quite a lot of development games and wasn’t too impressed with the talent - not just Hibs but usually opposition too.

Good young players are usually picked up early by teams with more resources but there are a few late developers.

Change of mangers and needing instant success also means less chance of development - Hecky recently being a prime example.

But I would be looking at the bigger failings of Scottish youth development - Project Brave ?! Is there not funding associated with this ? Was there not plans for an indoor pitch?

My concerns is that our best talent goes to Hearts.

Why can’t coaches do smaller sessions once the restrictions each? Players can still be coached ??

I do hope Hibs have provided support to the players as mental health etc is very common in youth these days.

I wasn’t liking the idea of jobs for the boys at East Mains. The only guy I think was decent was Gareth Evans.

The rest wasn’t sure about and rumours that Eddie May is away too.

Some clarity from the club would be useful as again media leaks aren’t great for public image and for fans who are trying to help improve the club.

Will they get the opportunity to play boys club up to then?

Pro Youth

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post

The pro youth system will bring the occasional talent through but it is mainly taken up with Jersey fillers. There may be 1 or 2 prospects in any age group and then the rest of the squad are just slightly better than average but with little or no chance of making it to our first team. The Brentford model where they pick up older kids let go from other sides is the cheapest way to operate. However you can’t beat watching one of the academy boys making it right through to the first team. It is a savage environment for the kids at times. My mates son was in the academy from age 9 until 15 and they phoned his dad and told him he wasn’t getting signed for the following season. Gave up football as a result .

We are talking football up to 15/16. It’s competitive from age 12+ and they have chances to play in Scottish cups etc. You can win nothing at Pro-Youth. Imagine playing pro youth for 8 years then getting dropped and you’ve not even got a wee medal for all your efforts. There are very few positives from pro youth football.

This, seen boys coming out pro youth and struggling in some of these community teams.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post

I think we'll see it reinstated in the future.

100%

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    An informed post. Can’t imagine many clubs our size (and downwards) will be in a different position really. How could they? There is no football at the level and none looking likely for a while. Might’ve been the only positive to come out of the Huns suggestion for colts sides to be introduced somehow but not just to suit those two.