hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Youth academy - disbanded?

SSN are reporting that we are completely binning the youth set up? That would be a terrible decision imo

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SSN are reporting that we are completely binning the youth set up? That would be a terrible decision imo
    If we have to keep East Mains bio-secure then the youth teams won’t have access.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    This wouldn't surprise me. The joys of American ownership. Ron clearly said he is looking to concentrate on the 1st team so could easily bin the rest meantime.

@hibs.net private member
    There’s no youth/development league until 2021 now due to coronavirus

With the development league off for the foreseeable, it just makes financial sense for now. It's unfortunate, but needs must right now.

I think we'll see it reinstated in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This wouldn't surprise me. The joys of American ownership. Ron clearly said he is looking to concentrate on the 1st team so could easily bin the rest meantime.
    Aye the same country that has probably the best youth sporting facilitates in the world, costing billions($) on an annual basis.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    With the development league off for the foreseeable, it just makes financial sense for now. It's unfortunate, but needs must right now.

I think we'll see it reinstated in the future.
    I’m certain we would start it up again in the future, but for now it makes perfect sense to be honest.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think just for the cost and practicalities of running a youth set up, it was inevitable. Really harsh on those involved and they won't be the only people impacted by coronavirus.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    From what I remember from his interviews, I think Ron wants big things from the youth set up.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Devastating for the kids in the set up, I hope they manage to keep their spirits up and Hibs support them in whatever way we can mentally and practically in terms of finding a new club.

That said I don’t think an academy is really needed for us, if we produce really good ones the chances are they’ll get cherry picked by a bigger club and if they don’t there’s no guarantees they’ll be able to develop the way we want them to do and even then, if there’s an established senior player in their position it can be even more difficult for them to make the break through.

I think a club of our size should be copying the Brentford set up and picking up the bigger clubs cast offs, better chance of getting the good ones in positions we likely need at a fraction of the cost and resources spent on it.

It won’t be a popular decision but it’s the right one imo.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I suspect its more likely mothballed then discontinued completely.

However going forward there may end up being a review of the whole setup to see what costs can be saved.

The running costs of East Mains may be prohibitive for example while we go through this.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    From what I remember from his interviews, I think Ron wants big things from the youth set up.
    Yet it is the first thing to be ditched in a crisis.
    He looks to be about to remove all he can in an attempt to balance our budget for next season.
    In practical terms it removes lots of bodies from the equation with the bare minimum of people at East Mains to stay Covid 19 free
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 18-06-2020 at 02:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    He looks to be about to remove all he can in an attempt to balance our budget for next season.
    It's about the club surviving. Youth academy or first team player salary?

Not even a debate imo

Left by mutual consent!
    I’ll take that. The pathway from youths to the first team has been farcical for years.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    In practical terms it removes lots of bodies from the equation with the bare minimum of people at East Mains to stay Covid 19 free
    And what of all that has to do with the fact he is American?

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I’ll take that. The pathway from youths to the first team has been farcical for years.
    Probably just mothballed for the season but this enforced disruption will see a lot of thinking going on about the right model for the club moving forward.

Also allows for a complete overhaul to aim to become far more effective

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Devastating for the kids in the set up, I hope they manage to keep their spirits up and Hibs support them in whatever way we can mentally and practically in terms of finding a new club.

That said I don’t think an academy is really needed for us, if we produce really good ones the chances are they’ll get cherry picked by a bigger club and if they don’t there’s no guarantees they’ll be able to develop the way we want them to do and even then, if there’s an established senior player in their position it can be even more difficult for them to make the break through.

I think a club of our size should be copying the Brentford set up and picking up the bigger clubs cast offs, better chance of getting the good ones in positions we likely need at a fraction of the cost and resources spent on it.

Fair points IMO. I’d prefer to have a youth academy but only if it’s done properly and we actually use it. Otherwise I’m in agreement that it becomes a millstone. The current setup costs a fortune but I don’t think we’re particularly serious about developing our own players.

There’s no clear out pathway to the first team IMO. We can see that anecdotally, but I’ve linked before to an article that analysed clubs in the SPL from 2009 - 2019 in terms of how many players from the academy made their debut, and probably more tellingly the total minutes played. The stats for both, particularly minutes played, didn’t reflect well on us.

We need to be brave and have giving youth as one of our core principles. There’s never a perfect time to introduce youngsters, we just have to give them their chance as and when they come through. The 3 seasons in the championship the consensus seemed to be that it wasn’t the time to play youth, we had to get promoted. The first season back up wasn’t the time as we needed to consolidate and push on, the last two seasons haven’t been the time as we’ve struggled and needed to make the top 6. There won’t ever be an easy time to do it IMO.

I think the youth set up needs a complete overhaul, as well as expanding our youth scouting network across Scotland. There are lots of good players out there, Motherwell & Hamilton being particularly testament to that. I appreciate none of that comes cheaply, but that’s one area I’d be looking to invest in and change as it’s an area we have badly underperformed the last decade or so IMO. I’d also supplement that with quality young players released higher up the food chain and find the next David Murphy.

Left by mutual consent!

It'll be interesting to see what they do if grassroots gets up and running in September.

Will they release the boys from their contracts, or make them wait until January before releasing them.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I suspect its more likely mothballed then discontinued completely.

However going forward there may end up being a review of the whole setup to see what costs can be saved.

The running costs of East Mains may be prohibitive for example while we go through this.
    Has more or less been mothballed since start of pandemic.I assume all age groups will be the same as the 2006 squad (grandson plays for them) as in recieving keeping fit & dieting etc. information every week,so minimum expense involved in this,also a fair few attend the football performance school at Broughton so when schools go back and if academy has been stopped i assume kids place of education may have to be changed as well?grandson travels from Tranent to Broughton every school day when its normal conditions. As of yet and as far as im aware nothing has been mentioned to kids/parents in regards to this so think status qou will be preserved.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    It cannot be stated enough that these are unprecedented times. Things are tough for everyone, but for businesses they are tough now and are going to get tougher. As government aid starts to diminish all businesses (apart from undertakers) will need to find ways to cut costs and inevitably this will mean people losing their jobs. Football clubs and Hibs in particular, are no different and lots of savings will have to be made so that we can concentrate our or primary core business i.e. putting a first team on the pitch to play matches. Those that expect the owner to finance any extras from his own pocket are failing to grasp the difference between running a business and philanthropy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    It's about the club surviving. Youth academy or first team player salary?

Not even a debate imo
    Depends on the 1st team player. The club had very little value out of a number of them last season.

It will be interesting to see if in these brutal times, the club look to move David Grey or Daz into the coaching part of their contracts should they move on the current coaching staff.

It all pretty hellish this stuff.
    First team players are on cast iron contracts so it's not easy to reduce costs without going for the easy targets like the youth set up.

As we talked about in another thread, i totally agree on this. I will argue for a long time that kids are much better off sticking with Youth Clubs till 16. Its a sickener for the kids right now but so many get dropped from "Pro-Youth" every year for no real benefit. I do wonder what we are doing with the Foundation element though. We have loads of teams that play under that banner and train at HTC.

@hibs.net private member
    Total common sense decision to patch it for a year minimum.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    As we talked about in another thread, i totally agree on this. I will argue for a long time that kids are much better off sticking with Youth Clubs till 16. Its a sickener for the kids right now but so many get dropped from "Pro-Youth" every year for no real benefit. I do wonder what we are doing with the Foundation element though. We have loads of teams that play under that banner and train at HTC.
    The foundation element just let's boys and girls play football. Nothing more as far as I can see. The cream have been harvested long before the community get anywhere near them.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what they do if grassroots gets up and running in September.

Will they release the boys from their contracts, or make them wait until January before releasing them.
    If every kid isn’t released right away there would be serious bother. I think that’s a no brainier.

Left by mutual consent!
    If every kid isn’t released right away there would be serious bother. I think that’s a no brainier.
    Lots of clubs will be watching with anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    The foundation element just let's boys and girls play football. Nothing more as far as I can see. The cream have been harvested long before the community get anywhere near them.
    Yeh but they do train at HTC. Will be interesting if that is stopped.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    We’ve got a great group of 16 year olds, wonder what the plan is for them

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    That would be shocking. Can they not be mothballed until Covid passes? Good ones will get picked up immediately