hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Furlough

Left by mutual consent!

Furlough

Can anyone explain why we are cutting our back room staff now? The furlough scheme doesn’t end until October.
    Are we becoming like British Airways and some of the other big businesses that pretend to care about its employees but in reality couldn’t give a toss?

I genuinely don’t understand why this needed to be done right now and why it has been done so ruthlessly.

Talk of player revolts, I can’t believe what I’m reading after we’ve sold nearly 9k season tickets.

What the hell is going on?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    We’re back training the staff are no longer furloughed and we have a lack of income. What do you want the club to do?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    Has there actually been any confirmation that this is happening?

The club are on the record as saying that they are entering a period of assessment and consultation.

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone explain why we are cutting our back room staff now? The furlough scheme doesn’t end until October.
    Are we becoming like British Airways and some of the other big businesses that pretend to care about its employees but in reality couldn’t give a toss?

I genuinely don’t understand why this needed to be done right now and why it has been done so ruthlessly.

Talk of player revolts, I can’t believe what I’m reading after we’ve sold nearly 9k season tickets.

What the hell is going on?
    Furlough as it stands stops at the end of July
    Employers then have to start paying NI and pension contributions in August and then a portion of their salary as well from September.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Employers then have to start paying NI and pension contributions in August and then a portion of their salary as well from September.
    This is the reason behind the timing IMO. Consultation period (45 days) takes you up to the end of July.

Makes sense and means the club have kept folk on the books for as long as they can.

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    It's fairly simple really. Legally a process has to occur in any redundancy, it cannot happen quickly.

Hibs will need to start that process now, in anticipation that furlough support at its current level ends in just over a month. Although October is the furlough end date, the contribution from the government reduces from August.

The comparison with BA isn't really accurate.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thanks for all the replies, wasn’t aware of some of the rules surrounding furlough. Worrying times for the club and everyone really.

Worrying times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Exactly. As the 1st team has resumed training this week and those furloughed in the Football Dept will have been put back on full payroll which starts burning a hole in the reserves built up from ST sales.

The club is playing it by the book in terms of their legal responsibilities and is entering the consultation period honestly and openly, and from what I hear with compassion..

I hope those being made redundant get first dibs at re-employment when the situation eases and the clubs revenue streams re-open and fans are re-admitted.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This is the reason behind the timing IMO. Consultation period (45 days) takes you up to the end of July.

Makes sense and means the club have kept folk on the books for as long as they can.
    45 days consultation is only if it applies to 100 staff or more, are there that many likely to be affected at Hibs?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    45 days consultation is only if it applies to 100 staff or more, are there that many likely to be affected at Hibs?
    How many days if it’s less than 100, which I’m sure will apply to Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    How many days if it’s less than 100, which I’m sure will apply to Hibs
    20-99 staff is 30 days
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 17-06-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Ah ok. No, there won’t be that number of redundancies at Hibs I wouldn’t expect.

Timing is still there or thereabouts and Hibs for redundancies being effective at the end of the month. I’m sure in one of the articles I read about Grant Murray etc, it was mentioned they’re expected to leave their roles at the end of next month.

Thanks for all the replies, wasn’t aware of some of the rules surrounding furlough. Worrying times for the club and everyone really.

Worrying times indeed.
    I wouldn't worry too much as Hibs are in a better position than the majority of football clubs in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much as Hibs are in a better position than the majority of football clubs in Scotland.
    This is the thing, some of the reaction to the statement from Hibs has been unbelievable. Listening to Jambos is particularly funny, it’s almost as if they believe everything is normal and only Hibs are affected 😂
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 17-06-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Worrying times indeed.
    Well maybe next time you won't start a thread slating the club without being informed. Just a thought.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That ones hard to believe if you look at the way the media has reacted to this. We’re cash strapped & going to have to sell off all of our decent players just to survive

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    That ones hard to believe if you look at the way the media has reacted to this. We’re cash strapped & going to have to sell off all of our decent players just to survive
    It depends who you trust more - Ron, Leeann & the club or the Sun & the Daily Record.

Difficult one...

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It depends who you trust more - Ron, Leeann & the club or the Sun & the Daily Record.

Difficult one...
    Very true but Hibs really need to get the media onside as we rarely read of anything positive coming out of ER. We can't just blame the BBC's hearts bias.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

Difficult one...
    A pretty obvious one

fair to say question marks are starting to appear regarding our new owner though.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    A pretty obvious one

fair to say question marks are starting to appear regarding our new owner though.
    Where - on here?

People are moaning about him just as they moaned about STF before him when he didn't make a big thing about putting money into the club (which he did).

Give the guy a chance and see how we're placed compared to other clubs in a few months time.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Worrying times indeed.
    It’s not as worrying as the press would have you believe. Sensationalism at its best during what is now silly season x1000.

The club have been pragmatic about deferring wages and are having to cut costs like every other business in the country. We will stil have a top flight football club at the end of all this. The side on the park might different but that depends on how flexible the players are willing to be.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    Well maybe next time you won't start a thread slating the club without being informed. Just a thought.
    I think you need to read my initial post again. I was merely asking a question and playing devils advocate. I’ve admitted I didn’t know much about the furlough scheme and that I was under the impression it lasted until October. Nowhere did I slate the club.

October isn't some magical date when everything returns to normal. Many businesses have seen their turnover absolutely obliterated for at least one quarter whilst still retaining significant fixed costs. Football in particular is likely to still be operating under severe restrictions for several months whilst having to return their highest earners from furlough.

Redundancies are sad but inevitable in a lot of industries and football falls into that bracket. I'm currently putting in 50-60 hour weeks covering all sorts of stuff outside my normal remit and the reward at the end of it will hopefully be still having a job and having as many of my colleagues return as possible. I'm not alone in that and the repercussions of the last 2/3 months will be felt for months if not years. That's just the reality of the situation and Hibs are taking a course of action that it's obviously felt is necessary. We can point to all the money still going into the club in the form of STs and the like and say 'why is this happening' but looking at it objectively the drop off in income streams has been huge and will continue to be for some time.

It's a worrying time and a horrible situation for those impacted directly and indirectly but it's reality for the foreseeable future.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Very true but Hibs really need to get the media onside as we rarely read of anything positive coming out of ER. We can't just blame the BBC's hearts bias.
    That's the problem there is no counter point coming from Hibs, it's a bit of a PR desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    That's the problem there is no counter point coming from Hibs, it's a bit of a PR desert.
    We are never going to get into a discussion with the red-tops. Thank ****! Lets not be all Hearts and start chucking out barely legible press releases every 2nd day. When we make progress on our review we will get a statement. For now our management will do their job and ignore the piffle in the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    There doesn’t need to be, we have issued a statement, absolutely no need to respond to the speculation because of it.

This is the thing, some of the reaction to the statement from Hibs has been unbelievable. Listening to Jambos is particularly funny, it’s almost as if they believe everything is normal and only Hibs are affected 😂

wee Jambo on the Platform Offshore where I am working absolutely full of himself in the tea shack , Hibs are doomed.
    dont you worry wee man, we haven’t resorted to robbing the Earl Haig Fund yet.
    no a happy wee jambo any more

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    October isn't some magical date when everything returns to normal. Many businesses have seen their turnover absolutely obliterated for at least one quarter whilst still retaining significant fixed costs. Football in particular is likely to still be operating under severe restrictions for several months whilst having to return their highest earners from furlough.

Redundancies are sad but inevitable in a lot of industries and football falls into that bracket. I'm currently putting in 50-60 hour weeks covering all sorts of stuff outside my normal remit and the reward at the end of it will hopefully be still having a job and having as many of my colleagues return as possible. I'm not alone in that and the repercussions of the last 2/3 months will be felt for months if not years. That's just the reality of the situation and Hibs are taking a course of action that it's obviously felt is necessary. We can point to all the money still going into the club in the form of STs and the like and say 'why is this happening' but looking at it objectively the drop off in income streams has been huge and will continue to be for some time.

It's a worrying time and a horrible situation for those impacted directly and indirectly but it's reality for the foreseeable future.
    It is likely that Scottish football will see its income streams being reduced for the rest of this year and a big part of next year. The club can ask the supporters to help it through this period by money and by people volunterring their skills. The club has the ability to communicate with the fans via the database and SM. The WT group can greatly assist the club. There are many fans who can and will help the club. The club needs to tell these fans how they can help. I know it is difficult with the virus sutuation. As mentioned above there are many eletronic means of commenication with the fans. The quicker we can help the quicker the club, the quicker will be the benefits that the club will receive from the fans.