hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EPL Planning to finish their season

looks like their have been discussions on planning for plaing the remainder of this season;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11476053/premier-league-games-back-tv-within-weeks/
    Last edited by Coach Jon; 26-04-2020 at 06:44 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Badabing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    looks like their have been discussions on planning for plaing the remainder of this season;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11476053/premier-league-games-back-tv-within-weeks/
    One paper reporting this; that paper. Can’t help but be sceptical.

They won’t be doing anything of the sort without government permission and I’m not sure how the rUK decision could be different from Scotland when England has been hit worse.

Not doubting they can test everyone involved, but seriously. Liverpool fans able to watch their team win the Prem League for first time in a generation but NOT allowed to congregate or celebrate ? The players will do a lap of honour and receive the trophy at an empty Anfield ?

This is all about money and nothing to do with cheering the country up. Madness.

Testimonial Due
    Government will not allow. When are they going to do the tests? Imediate before games? Are they going to isolate players from their families? How do they stop fans gathering in crowds?

People still read the Sun?

Arsenal going back to training.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52428362

This frustrating habit Downing Street has of ‘leaking’ ideas to pliant journalists that they’ll later either introduce or deny was ever a thing is ridiculous.

First Team Breakthrough Badabing's Avatar

No they’re not. Individual players are being given access to training facilities. Still social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    They won’t be doing anything of the sort without government permission and I’m not sure how the rUK decision could be different from Scotland when England has been hit worse.
    One word money 💰

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    Do bears still shiit in the woods ?

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    No. But now that several other publications are happy to run with the same story it seems to have some credibility (the article not the Sun)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Yes, then use The Sun before washing their paws.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Regular steviehibsleith's Avatar

so Arsenal footballers driving to the training facility is essential travel...

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    They can plan all they want, it ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by steviehibsleith View Post
    You are allowed to travel to work. You are also allowed to travel to exercise, as long as exercise is longer than the travel. So they’re probably covered both ways.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by steviehibsleith View Post
    For many years a large proportion of the EPL, clubs and players have thought different rules apply to them so nothing surprises me. If there was ever a time to re- consider how society glorifies and remunerates them it is now. Makes me puke to think of our 'key workers' picking up salaries not much greater than minimum/living wages whilst these 'heroes' kick a football about getting their over inflated wages funded primarily from these very people through millions of sky sports subscriptions. I would be delighted if the whole league imploded financially.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    For many years a large proportion of the EPL, clubs and players have thought different rules apply to them so nothing surprises me. If there was ever a time to re- consider how society glorifies and remunerates them it is now. Makes me puke to think of our 'key workers' picking up salaries not much greater than minimum/living wages whilst these 'heroes' kick a football about getting their over inflated wages funded primarily from these very people through millions of sky sports subscriptions. I would be delighted if the whole league imploded financially.
    Footballers are compensated based on what they bring into a club. If a company was bringing in tens of millions, sometimes hundreds of millions on the back of me you can bet your ass I’d expect/be entitled to a huge chunk of that.

What footballers earn has no correlation to what nurses earn. That’s not to say nurses etc shouldn’t be paid more of course.

On a smaller scale but the exact same moral compass, you’d be happy for the league up here to implode and not have a club to support up here? We also rely (on a smaller scale) sky’s millions, and pay players far more than your average doctor or nurse gets. Those players are actually following the same rules as everyone else when it comes to exercise and work. What you are wanting is them actually to be held to different rules from everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    They can plan all they want, it ain't happening.
    No reason it won't happen. Next season can be played either side of the euros or continue through it. Needs to be a break in winter for 2022 WC anyway.

Wages reflect scarcity rather than worth. Fact is, it’s easier to train someone to be a nurse than it is to train someone to kick a ball like Salah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Footballers are compensated based on what they bring into a club. If a company was bringing in tens of millions, sometimes hundreds of millions on the back of me you can bet your ass I’d expect/be entitled to a huge chunk of that.

What footballers earn has no correlation to what nurses earn. That’s not to say nurses etc shouldn’t be paid more of course.
    My point was the money being pumped into football in general which in turn reflects in the wages being paid. Delighted if a decent percentage of subscribers don't bother renewing their sports packages which then impacts on the level of income/sponsorship deals etc.

Footballers wages have nothing to do with NHS wages. Bizarre people keep connecting them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    On a smaller scale but the exact same moral compass, you’d be happy for the league up here to implode and not have a club to support up here? We also rely (on a smaller scale) sky’s millions, and pay players far more than your average doctor or nurse gets. Those players are actually following the same rules as everyone else when it comes to exercise and work. What you are wanting is them actually to be held to different rules from everyone else.
    I'd be delighted if hibs, and all other clubs, budgets were wholly driven by the revenue they were able to generate, and not sky tv. But i'm sure you appreciate that is primarily the case up here, hardly comparable with EPL. You telling me there would be no hibs without skt tv money?

In regard to EPL getting back to their 'essential' work, you're correct, reading the rules they can't work from home so in theory they should be able to travel and complere their work. However, there is rules and there is what is just right and wrong, what message does it send to the general public as a whole?

England have been particularly hard hit by the Covid-19 crisis with death rates amongst the highest in the world per head of population so normally you wouldn't have given this story much credence.

The story has been around for a while though from some credible sources other than newspapers so they are obviously looking at some sort of closed door option.

What happens if lockdown number two happens or the closed camp quarantine doesnt work and what's the logistics if England goes to two week quarrintine at airports and how do you isolate refs, linesman, medical staff, physios plus all the media and TV people required to cover closed doors matches.

Presumably sports people and the surrounding circus get tested regularly and ahead of other sections of the community.

Huge hurdles but not insurmountable so good luck to them but other sports will ask for similar treatment.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 26-04-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    ...or the Broomloan Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    You are allowed to travel to work. You are also allowed to travel to exercise, as long as exercise is longer than the travel. So they’re probably covered both ways.
    The regs in England imply a 1 hr max away from home. Hope Plod is a Spurs supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Footballers wages have nothing to do with NHS wages. Bizarre people keep connecting them.
    Yes they do...if they actually paid their taxes in full instead of avoiding them NHS workers could be paid more funded by the government collecting said taxes.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Wages reflect scarcity rather than worth. Fact is, it’s easier to train someone to be a nurse than it is to train someone to kick a ball like Salah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wages equal scarcity? In football that might be the case but across the working population? Nonsense, the leading minds in medicine are getting paid £100,000s a week are they?

I'd be delighted if hibs, and all other clubs, budgets were wholly driven by the revenue they were able to generate, and not sky tv. But i'm sure you appreciate that is primarily the case up here, hardly comparable with EPL. You telling me there would be no hibs without skt tv money?

In regard to EPL getting back to their 'essential' work, you're correct, reading the rules they can't work from home so in theory they should be able to travel and complere their work. However, there is rules and there is what is just right and wrong, what message does it send to the general public as a whole?
    There are plenty other places operating, within the rules, which aren’t necessarily essential.

Is it essential for Five Guys to be serving burgers? Is it essential to queue for a Costa Coffee. Is everybody shopping at B&Q purchasing an essential item?

The EPL and it’s clubs are a commercial entity and if they can start working again they will, same as everybody else and not because they think different rules apply to them.