This has started to bother me somewhat, every month I get an email from Google showing me my activity over the preceding month. Where I’ve been, what places I’ve visited (obviously not much during lockdown) how far I’ve driven, walked, cycled etc.

I understand that by allowing them to access my phone and location services etc then I have agreed for this information to be freely available to them.

But what has started to concern me slightly is the extra bits of information they seem to be able to ascertain from my activities.

For example I drive a car and also a motorbike regularly I occasionally cycle and regularly go for walks. I guess it’s easy to see the difference between walking and cycling and driving due to the distances travelled and the time involved but what has surprised me is that Google can differentiate between when I’m in my car or on my motorbike, and I don’t understand how that could be possible.

I’m sure this is only a fraction of the amount of information they will know about me, easy to guess they will know my browsing interests online, my shopping preferences etc. and I’m sure even this post will have flagged up an alert of the word Google being used back at Google HQ. However the more I think about it the less I’m comfortable with it.

Has anyone else got similar concerns and if so what have you/can you do about it?