hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

How much does Google know about you?

This has started to bother me somewhat, every month I get an email from Google showing me my activity over the preceding month. Where I’ve been, what places I’ve visited (obviously not much during lockdown) how far I’ve driven, walked, cycled etc.

I understand that by allowing them to access my phone and location services etc then I have agreed for this information to be freely available to them.

But what has started to concern me slightly is the extra bits of information they seem to be able to ascertain from my activities.

For example I drive a car and also a motorbike regularly I occasionally cycle and regularly go for walks. I guess it’s easy to see the difference between walking and cycling and driving due to the distances travelled and the time involved but what has surprised me is that Google can differentiate between when I’m in my car or on my motorbike, and I don’t understand how that could be possible.

I’m sure this is only a fraction of the amount of information they will know about me, easy to guess they will know my browsing interests online, my shopping preferences etc. and I’m sure even this post will have flagged up an alert of the word Google being used back at Google HQ. However the more I think about it the less I’m comfortable with it.

Has anyone else got similar concerns and if so what have you/can you do about it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    If you dont want your movements tracked you can turn off location history. The mode of transport isn't particularly accurate although I don't have a bike so not sure how that works. It's all in Google Maps under timeline.

It should probably bother me more than it does!

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I had the same realisation about a couple of years ago, it actually started in a strange way, I couldn't remember how the hell I got home after a night out, so went on google maps and checked out the time and route etc I took, that set off something in my head that they know absolutely everything about you

As a result I turned off my location services, saved searches, web and app activity etc. The only thing they currently(legally) track about me is my YouTube watch history which I have left on, other than that all other settings have been switched off

I'm not naive enough to think that they probably are still gathering all the information anyway but it gives me a bit more peace of mind

I've done the same thing with all the apps that give you privacy options too, your data is worth an absolute fortune and we have been handing it away to companies for years for free

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This has started to bother me somewhat, every month I get an email from Google showing me my activity over the preceding month. Where I’ve been, what places I’ve visited (obviously not much during lockdown) how far I’ve driven, walked, cycled etc.

I understand that by allowing them to access my phone and location services etc then I have agreed for this information to be freely available to them.

But what has started to concern me slightly is the extra bits of information they seem to be able to ascertain from my activities.

For example I drive a car and also a motorbike regularly I occasionally cycle and regularly go for walks. I guess it’s easy to see the difference between walking and cycling and driving due to the distances travelled and the time involved but what has surprised me is that Google can differentiate between when I’m in my car or on my motorbike, and I don’t understand how that could be possible.

I’m sure this is only a fraction of the amount of information they will know about me, easy to guess they will know my browsing interests online, my shopping preferences etc. and I’m sure even this post will have flagged up an alert of the word Google being used back at Google HQ. However the more I think about it the less I’m comfortable with it.

Has anyone else got similar concerns and if so what have you/can you do about it?

would the car vs motorbike question be because the phone connects to the car Bluetooth? Giving the phone and possibly google a way of differentiating which mode of transport you’re using?

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    would the car vs motorbike question be because the phone connects to the car Bluetooth? Giving the phone and possibly google a way of differentiating which mode of transport you’re using?
    That did cross my mind but then I thought why specifically a bike what’s to say I wasn’t on a bus or in an older car that didn’t have any tech in it.

Turn off your location history and disconnect your Bluetooth when not using it is a good place to start. It's also worth looking at the 'right to be forgotten' laws. It's not really relevant to the situation here but I know a couple of people who have had information about them removed and it no longer appears in searches and the like.

Again not really relevant to the OP but a periodic check of your privacy settings ij social media is a good idea. Facebook in particular are notorious for tweaking things and giving minimal to no notification they have done so.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Maybe it detects the faster acceleration of motorbikes. There will also be a difference if the app has access to the phone's other sensors (accelerometer).

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Maybe it detects the faster acceleration of motorbikes. There will also be a difference if the app has access to the phone's other sensors (accelerometer).
    This is the answer.

Google doesn't know which mode of transport you're using, it guesses using the information it has.

In this case it knows your route, the time you set off, the time you arrived and the journey pattern e.g. speeds and acceleration.

If you gave me that information, even without the use of mega-computers, I'd be able to guess fairly accurately how you travelled.

If it starts to tell you the make, model and colour of the bike you use, then you can start worrying. 😁
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This is the answer.

Google doesn't know which mode of transport you're using, it guesses using the information it has.

In this case it knows your route, the time you set off, the time you arrived and the journey pattern e.g. speeds and acceleration.

If you gave me that information, even without the use of mega-computers, I'd be able to guess fairly accurately how you travelled.

If it starts to tell you the make, model and colour of the bike you use, then you can start worrying. 😁
    I can see the logic in this but I’m not convinced it’s the answer.

I use my motorbike purely for enjoyment and at random times, I don’t use it on specific days, times or journeys and when I do it’s more likely to a different destination each time. It’s also not a large capacity machine or sports bike style and I drive conservatively. I’d go as far as to say I drive faster and accelerate more in my car than on my bike.
    But yes I will be more concerned when they tell me the make, model and colour of it. 😂

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Try talking about buying something totally random when near your phone then watch the adverts appear
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I use my motorbike purely for enjoyment and at random times, I don’t use it on specific days, times or journeys and when I do it’s more likely to a different destination each time. It’s also not a large capacity machine or sports bike style and I drive conservatively. I’d go as far as to say I drive faster and accelerate more in my car than on my bike.
    But yes I will be more concerned when they tell me the make, model and colour of it. 😂
    That really is how they guess, though.

If you and I set off together to go across town, even driving conservatively, we'd get there at different times.

You can nip in and out of traffic, go outside queues, accelerate faster.

I've got location etc switched on so simply comparing my journey to yours, would indicate different vehicles.

Or they're watching you from a satellite.

It's definitely one of them.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 06-06-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Try talking about buying something totally random when near your phone then watch the adverts appear
    Which, frankly, is pointless because you've just bought what you wanted! 😀
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

But yes I will be more concerned when they tell me the make, model and colour of it.
    You're phone won't tip left and right when you take corners when your in a car.

It's so inaccurate sometimes. Had me in the Malaga area when I was in the south of France.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This happened to me last week! My sons gf came in asking if I'd ever used soap and glory toiletries and we had a short discussion about them . I've never bought them nor googled them.and didnt that day either. Next day my FB ads were all soap and glory stuff .

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    That’s why I never really got all the outrage about the track and trace app!

Never trusted it and make sure it's all turned off until I need to use it.
    I remember being told a long time ago that these companies would use our details to make a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Never trusted it and make sure it's all turned off until I need to use it.
    I remember being told a long time ago that these companies would use our details to make a fortune.
    You can request access to the information Amazon hold on you. The level of detail is frightening.

The article belows gives an idea of just how miniscule the details are which they harvest and store:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/CLQYZENMBI/amazon-data

I've started being far more careful with how I access certain websites. VPNs, Protonmail and, for those who know what they are doing with it, the Tor browser are all useful tools.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I don't get too excited about the information gathered as I don't think the "tailored" ads sway me, but I can understand how/why people are wary.
    Tesco Clubcard is very similar, it's not set up to reward the customer, it's there so they can gather info on your shopping habits. Genuinely true story, I know a guy who was caught out by his wife via Clubcard. She received her quarterly vouchers with one for Durex "tingle" play lube. She thought it was proper random, so logged on to her account, under recent purchases was a packet of condoms. The guy was that stupid he used his Clubcard when buying his prophylactics,,,, he was careful but not that careful.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    On the topic of privacy, if you have alexa, you can view and listen to some of the chat that has been picked up
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/mycd/myx...ctivityHistory

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    That did cross my mind but then I thought why specifically a bike what’s to say I wasn’t on a bus or in an older car that didn’t have any tech in it.
    It uses the accelerometer and motion sensors on your phone to work out if you're on a motorbike. I'm guessing it's similar with bicycle.
    I have a had a few times when its said I was in my car when I was on the motorbike, conversely there's been times when its said I was on my bicycle when I was actually on my vespa, which i thought was a bit cheeky

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    You can request access to the information Amazon hold on you. The level of detail is frightening.

The article belows gives an idea of just how miniscule the details are which they harvest and store:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/CLQYZENMBI/amazon-data

I've started being far more careful with how I access certain websites. VPNs, Protonmail and, for those who know what they are doing with it, the Tor browser are all useful tools.
    I'd prefer Google knew as little about me as possible. I use Nord VPN, Brave browser, Duck duck go search engine. Through these tools I'll visit websites rather than use apps and never use any assistants like Alexa. Location services are switched off unless absolutely needed. Oh and I use my Thai name on a gmail account if I need to use Playstore. For all other private email I use Protonmail. I also use "Here we go" which I find a perfectly acceptable alternative to Maps.
    To some it might sound complicated and a bit paranoid, but it's really easy and whilst not perfect it goes a long way to staying as private as possible.

It's also worth checking the permissions your apps have. Ask yourself why some (other than the obvious ones) need camera or microphone access!

What are the reasons people want to remain private?

I don't really care what some computer knows about me and I don't understand why that knowledge might be harmful to me.

I don't really care what some computer knows about me and I don't understand why that knowledge might be harmful to me.
    I'm the same. If I was a celebrity being tracked by the media, or a criminal with stuff to hide then I'd be more careful.

As it stands some people will have info about my day to day life and habits. So what?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'm the same. If I was a celebrity being tracked by the media, or a criminal with stuff to hide then I'd be more careful.

As it stands some people will have info about my day to day life and habits. So what?
    I’m the same, I really don’t get all the fuss about google, track and trace apps and anything similar. If I was that concerned I would stay off the internet and stop carrying a phone.

Cambridge Analytica?

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Cambridge Analytica?
    Tip of the iceberg.

The last General election and the Brexit referendum showed how technology can be used to influence such things. It probably seems quite benign at the moment but the potential is scary.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I’m the same, I really don’t get all the fuss about google, track and trace apps and anything similar. If I was that concerned I would stay off the internet and stop carrying a phone.

My point was that for those of us who do have concerns there are ways to continue using the internet and carrying a phone. My whole life is in my phone, banking, social media, contact with wife and family, personal photos, plane tickets etc etc etc.
    I'm not a troglodyte and absolutely see the value in our interconnected world. But if I can make all that a bit more secure by employing a few simple tactics it's well worth it.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    It's so inaccurate sometimes. Had me in the Malaga area when I was in the south of France.
    Last year I went to Let's Rock. Checked my google timeline the next day to see what time I got home at. As well as being in Dalkeith, I was apparently also at a Country Park near Sunderland and a Skate Park in Newport, South Wales.

I was drunk that day but not THAT drunk. 😄

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Last year I went to Let's Rock. Checked my google timeline the next day to see what time I got home at. As well as being in Dalkeith, I was apparently also at a Country Park near Sunderland and a Skate Park in Newport, South Wales.

I was drunk that day but not THAT drunk. 😄
    That is bizarre because I was dragged along there 2 years ago and I'm sure it logged me as being down south somewhere as well! Bristol I think. I corrected it so I can't check it.