hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You and I both have the t-shirts to say we've learned from many bitter disappointments.
    That's the spirit

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    No 'harm'. I just think that by playing it either mid-winter or sometime next year it would bear no relation to last season's tournament. All four squads would be likely to be much changed and playing a tournament from a previous season in the middle of a new season strikes me as odd. The priority is to get next season up and running as safely as possible.

Personally I think the SFA should asterisk it and say 'tournament abandoned due to Covid-19'. A couple of years down the line nobody's going to be that bothered. For me it's already gone.
    I don’t think the squad thing matters. We’re all in the same boat, the clubs got to this stage.

You can’t guarantee what players are available round to round anyway. Granted this takes that up a level.

So long as it is played in 2020 then let’s get it played.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Beautifully set up for us to lose, maybe more than any game ever.
    I’d be astonished if we won.

Left by mutual consent!
    If the Championship doesn't get started until October and the semi final is around that time or even before then, Hearts could go into it not playing a competitive game for over 5/6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Its the season 19/20 Cup and the season’s over. Playing the remaining games with a potentially different team is farcical imo. Where’s the million coming from because it won’t be gate receipts - that’s for sure.
    League Season was called by the SPFL but the governing body, the SFA did not call the 2019/2020 season so its not nonsense to finish the cup. 3 games before the end of 2020 looks entirely doable.

As for squads being totally different so what.

At present lower league clubs play early rounds before the Winter Window closes and could technically play completely different squad from the one they started with.

Play it out. Its worth a 7 figure sum and tgat cash will be welcomed given the loss of a 6 figure sum agreeing to end the league early.

@hibs.net private member
    Beautifully set up for us to lose, maybe more than any game ever.
    It is set to be their new 5-1 gimmick.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    They should be the first matches played. Before any new season kicks off!
    This. Would love Hibs to be SFA Cup winners 2020. Even if there were no fans. I’d still take it.

J

Chance of winning a trophy, let's finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Agreed.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It’s absolutely crazy for us not to consider finishing it is we can. We’re two wins away from the glory of 2016, one of them an Edinburgh derby ant Hampden and people are getting excited at the prospect of playing St Johnstone, Rangers and Kilmarnock four times in the league? Come on chaps!

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Some ae the negativity! How can ye handle fitba, when there’s “a chance you might lose”? Some of us watch Hibs hopin we might win! We’ll get the tix, you worriers can watch on TV & turn over if it gets too much for ye’se!

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Some ae the negativity! How can ye handle fitba, when there’s “a chance you might lose”? Some of us watch Hibs hopin we might win! We’ll get the tix, you worriers can watch on TV & turn over if it gets too much for ye’se!
    I watch Hibs hoping we will win as well. Doesn't mean I'm not realistic, it will be a very tough game and would be a real disaster if we lost giving their situation. It would also be a big story if we lost. Hence me saying its all set up.

Seems a bit of a farce to continue a competition with completely different sqauds to the one that player the previous round after the previous season has been called compete in every other domestic competition.

I've not got any strong feelings either way. I won't lose any sleep if the cup is shelved for last season though.

I can't help but feel it wouldn't be going ahead if Celtic weren't going for the quadruple treble

Everything has changed since we put ICT out. We're struggling to deliver a new season. Last season's Cup is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Everything has changed since we put ICT out. We're struggling to deliver a new season. Last season's Cup is gone.
    My perception is! I think! In my view! You knowitall lot stay in yer eggshells! Rest o us want to see Hibs in a semi final we won our way into won’t miss you much! Chance to win the Scottish? Yes please!

Left by mutual consent!
    feel a bit gutted for the players who have now left who helped us get there- McNulty, Omeonga and Docherty all scored for us in the rounds leading up to the semi final and may now miss out on what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity of reaching the Scottish Cup final and even winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    League Season was called by the SPFL but the governing body, the SFA did not call the 2019/2020 season so its not nonsense to finish the cup. 3 games before the end of 2020 looks entirely doable.

As for squads being totally different so what.

At present lower league clubs play early rounds before the Winter Window closes and could technically play completely different squad from the one they started with.

Play it out. Its worth a 7 figure sum and tgat cash will be welcomed given the loss of a 6 figure sum agreeing to end the league early.
    Its my own view - and I seem to be in a minority - that there would be little value in playing out last season’s cup in the new seasons. I don’t know what impact no or reduced gates would have on the cash available but it will take a huge hit.

I also think there’s an element of devaluation to it. If we were to win the Cup it wouldn’t feel the same with no crowd, no celebrations in the boozers and no parade. Some of these things might happen in some form but for me full focus should be on the season ahead.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Its my own view - and I seem to be in a minority - that there would be little value in playing out last season’s cup in the new seasons. I don’t know what impact no or reduced gates would have on the cash available but it will take a huge hit.

I also think there’s an element of devaluation to it. If we were to win the Cup it wouldn’t feel the same with no crowd, no celebrations in the boozers and no parade. Some of these things might happen in some form but for me full focus should be on the season ahead.
    100% agree.

Testimonial Due
    What happens if we sign players cup tied in 2020 season with other clubs????
    What happens to loan players who have returned that have been cup tied????
    It would make it to complicated, so I say bin it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    What happens if we sign players cup tied in 2020 season with other clubs????
    What happens to loan players who have returned that have been cup tied????
    It would make it to complicated, so I say bin it!!!!
    That's where I'm at, despite spending most of last season telling the Celtc season ticket holder at work that we'll continue our duopoly on recent trophies when Hibs win the Scottish Cup. Took him a while to work it out.

Hibeesmad mentioned McNulty, Omeonga and Docherty, and we can add Whittaker, Slivka, Bogdan and Kamberi to the list of players who won't be with us by the time the semi is played.

We could even have the scenario where Celtc sign Marciano and Boyle this summer, raising the possibility of two of our key players featuring for the opposition in the final.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    That's where I'm at, despite spending most of last season telling the Celtc season ticket holder at work that we'll continue our duopoly on recent trophies when Hibs win the Scottish Cup. Took him a while to work it out.

Hibeesmad mentioned McNulty, Omeonga and Docherty, and we can add Whittaker, Slivka, Bogdan and Kamberi to the list of players who won't be with us by the time the semi is played.

We could even have the scenario where Celtc sign Marciano and Boyle this summer, raising the possibility of two of our key players featuring for the opposition in the final.
    Sorry but all this nonsense & negativity just bursts heeds sometimes. Kamberi? You seriously using that? Scottish. Cup. Semi. Final!

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Farcical. Can’t sort start of next season with what the shape of the league structure is and we expect an adequate end to last seasons cup competition? Couldn’t organise a school fare tombola stall!

I could take it or leave it.

I’m mad keen to get revenge on the pink financial cheats for 2006 and 2012. Were due them a thumping and it was set up beautifully for us to do so.

But doing it at an empty stadium would feel a bit odd. And let’s be honest, we’re pretty much guaranteed a doing from Celtic in the final.

Of course there’s always a chance we could win it. But doing it in an empty (or partially full) stadium would be weird.

I wonder how Liverpool fans will feel when they eventually lift the league trophy this season

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Sorry but all this nonsense & negativity just bursts heeds sometimes. Kamberi? You seriously using that? Scottish. Cup. Semi. Final!
    I don't mind being the winners in 2021 instead.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    The semi is a game we just can’t lose

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

Why are people so obsessed with trying to sell these guys to celtic? Not one single creditable source has ever done so.

Why are people so obsessed with trying to sell these guys to celtic? Not one single creditable source has ever done so.
    I can't see Celtc offering us enough for two players who be rotational for them rather than regular starters, given that particular club's expectations.

I'm pointing out how farcical it could be by highlighting two good players with only a year left on their contracts, a situation that does lead to offers being accepted by the club.