hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: David Duff

Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Duff should never be painted as any kind of hero in this sorry episode. He certainly deserves credit for not caving to Mercer but the guy was a disaster and a fantasist - I would take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt and his book will no doubt read more like a fiction novel.

Post-Hibs he got jailed for 2 years for his part in a major mortgage fraud and then, incredibly, was hired as an adviser by the charity Edinburgh University Settlement - who soon went bust with debts of £4m, with Duff at the centre of its demise.

He’s done more porridge than Ronnie Barker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree with this 100% and certainly wont be giving him any money by buying his book.

Him and Gray are the type of characters who if in their prime today would probably be peddling dodgy cryptocurrency.

A couple of total spivs as the late Ronnie Barker might have said .

2. Log in to remove the advert

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen Duff back at Easter Road since those days?
    He was in jail and was in witness protection, so probably not.

You'll find a bit about him in this.

https://thebristolcable.org/series/c...the-cornerman/

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by degenerated; 04-06-2020 at 06:43 AM.

Mercer had plans to buy the land known as the Lochend butterfly and the the stadium would have been part of this. Thus he would have owned the land from the stadium up to London Road. He was looking to make a considerable amount of money from the deal I am sure there were plans for housing retail and business park.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    He was in jail and was in witness protection, so probably not.

You'll find a bit about him in this.

https://thebristolcable.org/series/c...the-cornerman/

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    That's all very heavy duty.
    Duff lurches from disaster to disaster culminating in almost getting cement boots.

like a lot of you i lived through this awful time at Hibs. The uncertainty of it all was frightening to say the least.

Ive read Duffs account of things and my take on it is that he wants to be welcomed back as a hero?

He hadnt had an invite back to Easter Road in the last 30yrs. If he had wanted to watch a game he could have paid a the turnstiles like us all?

Granted he should be thanked for not selling his shares to Mercer but if he and Grey had not used the club money to pay for a grand lifestyle with cars and houses bought
    and used by themselves and family and been involved in buying pubs and hotels with Hibs money we wouldnt have been in the state we were in when the takeover was announced.

If he gets invited now after Farmer has left he will give back jerseys presented to him as chairman of Hibernian FC??? Surely these jerseys where given in good will by the players to the club and should be at the club and not kept by him?

It looks like to me he wants to come back as this hero who didnt sell his shares and has for the past 30yrs disappeared in to the blue leaving Hibs to flounder because the two of them may have been crooks.

I was at the HOH rally at the ground and say grown men cry at the thought of their club dying on its feet because people wanted to live flash lives at the expense of the football club. I say Joe Baker kiss the turf and Pat Stanton point to the Dunbar end and saying Hibs will never die. Where were duff and grey that day.

I hope Ron Gordon gets the full story and does not fall for the pitch being made today. The Evening News Scoop is more like not being able to sell the story!

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    The roasters on keek back have a thread on him .
    One of them posted this . They really are a different breed .

Dumb **** Posted Wednesday at 10:59

Remains the only owner of an Edinburgh top flight football club to have been jailed for fraud.

Last edited by erin go bragh; 05-06-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post

Remains the only owner of an Edinburgh top flight football club to have been jailed for fraud.

The letter posted on that thread sums up how limited Mercers understanding of football was.

As if any Hibs fans gave any consideration at all to the potential rental costs of Meadowbank when our biggest rivals tried to wipe our name from Scottish football.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

Got me thinking, have any other Edinburgh clubs knowingly employed anyone with convictions? And if so how bad were the offences?

It'll all pale into insignificance when Hearts Hearts former owner Vladimir Romanov goes on trial in his absence in Lithuania.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!

Hmmm, let's just leave it there! Presumably the person who posted that is relatively thick?

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Got me thinking, have any other Edinburgh clubs knowingly employed anyone with convictions? And if so how bad were the offences?

It'll all pale into insignificance when Hearts Hearts former owner Vladimir Romanov goes on trial in his absence in Lithuania.

They appointed a manager who was on the child sex register . And then kept on a player who was also put on it .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    They appointed a manager who was on the child sex register . And then kept on a player who was also put on it .
    Who also did jail time. So they beat us again. Forever in their shadow.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

You mean the sex offender register. Your version is very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Duff is a slippery character for sure and his post Hibs record shows as much. Basically a conman. As has been said earlier it's to his credit he didn't sell up to Mercenary.

Not seen Ramsay Dalgety for a while. He featured a bit if I recall. Former QC and Hibs fan,think he was a 50 Club regular. Last I seen he was a judge in Tonga! Some on here must have a few stories about him...
    I've seen Hibs fans throughout my decades following the club call Hearts all sorts of names with every expletive known to man thrown in. But without uttering a single cuss word the way Ramsay Dalgety spat out the words 'Heart of Midlowthian' in his focal point interview was just class, as if he had been asked to describe the foulest creature in the lowest depths of hell

As for Duff ... If the truth is that he was a crook, a chancer, a spiv, whatever term you want to use then surely the fact that he turned down the chance to walk away with £700,000 says something about the guy, yes maybe he was a fool and a fantasist who lead us to the brink of disaster ..... but he must have had some feeling for the club to go against what everybody seems to think was his nature in order to ultimately thwart Mercer, so in my book he deserves some credit for that.

Wherever Sheila Rowland is now I hope she had a happy life after leaving Hibs ..... absolutely unbelievable that only 30 years ago women weren't allowed into club boardrooms ... the 70s fair enough, we thought the black & white minstrel show was entertainment back then, but the 90s? that's incredible ... no bloody wonder football struggles so badly at times to project the image it should.