hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TBF I don't think the Budgie ever said there were "no strings attached" it was Brian McLaughlin's "understanding" there were no strings.

All pointless now but I don't think those words were said by the Budgie.
    Just listened to that part again and yes, she didn't use the term "no strings attached" it was Richard Gordon first asking Brian Mclauchlin who confirmed it. Hope he's got something in writing from her, or on tape, otherwise he could be up s**t creek if it doesn't happen.😀

She did however call them philanthropists more than once so if they're not doing it without strings attached then that makes it a bung and they're not the philanthropists she said they are.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    "So, as when she realised the minute football went into self-isolation that Hearts couldn’t afford to pay the wages, she came out blabbing like Hyacinth Bucket on speed rather than sorting things quietly behind the scenes.

And, as with her handling of the saga of her club’s impending relegation, all she did was splatter herself and all around her with a big plate of shaving foam.

Apart from anything else, how does Doncaster’s request for something in writing about this no-strings donation mean he’s “dithering”, as Budge claims?

Is he not entitled to a bit of detail? Is he not on a hiding to nothing if he takes one club’s word for something this important then it falls through?
    All she had to do was come off the phone, bang out an email with the relevant details and Bob’s your cross-dressing manservant."
    So Bill won’t be on Sportsound anytime soon. Great piece. Cheers 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    No offence to Budge and I’m sure in her day she was good at what she did. But she’s starting to come over as a bit of a simpleton now. It’s obvious that someone is ripping the pish out of her, giving her advice that is feeding her increasingly nutty delusions...
    Your going round the houses there, Bob.

Simple way to put it...

Budge - current mode "bamstick".

Easy.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Some posts saying James Anderson wants to protect his investment in Hearts.As far as I can see he has no investment to protect.He has gifted the money and that’s it gone.
    Aye. A very strange view to take. Some of the posts around this additional investment and its “bribe” implications aren’t the kind of things I’d expect on here. I asked the question on Saturday after NDs statement came out if she’d been trying it on with the “conditions attached” stuff. Still a possibility thats what happened. She’s in a bad place if she’s hacked her benefactor off by outing him and lying about his intentions.

TBF I don't think the Budgie ever said there were "no strings attached" it was Brian McLaughlin's "understanding" there were no strings.

All pointless now but I don't think those words were said by the Budgie.
    I heard her say it. 100%.

I don’t think it was a bribe, but I suspect it was intended to gain favour for Hearts, her announcing it, trying to paint the league as the bad guy, stressing they were coming forward through her etc.

If the guy is going to donate no matter what, great, but certainly feels like the way it was announced was concocted to try and help Hearts, otherwise why not have this guy just announce his intentions himself?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Aye. A very strange view to take. Some of the posts around this additional investment and its “bribe” implications aren’t the kind of things I’d expect on here. I asked the question on Saturday after NDs statement came out if she’d been trying it on with the “conditions attached” stuff. Still a possibility thats what happened. She’s in a bad place if she’s hacked her benefactor off by outing him and lying about his intentions.
    I think Budge has mentioned to Doncaster that she knew someone who was willing to help finance the lower leagues and they'd be even more willing if her reconstruction proposals were adopted (it was hinted at in her paper). Doncaster, being a solicitor, has asked for the proposal in writing and made clear there could be no solid conditions - he'd potentially be risking his livelihood and possibly his liberty if he didn't. He'd also need to know how the money would be paid over and how the benefactor would want it used.

It all became clearer after Budge mentioned it on Saturday and regardless of who said "no strings attached" it can't be unsaid. IMO it has made reconstruction more unlikely as it would now look like a bribe even if it wasn't.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I don’t think it was a bribe, but I suspect it was intended to gain favour for Hearts, her announcing it, trying to paint the league as the bad guy, stressing they were coming forward through her etc.

If the guy is going to donate no matter what, great, but certainly feels like the way it was announced was concocted to try and help Hearts, otherwise why not have this guy just announce his intentions himself?
    It’s a bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I think Budge has mentioned to Doncaster that she knew someone who was willing to help finance the lower leagues and they'd be even more willing if her reconstruction proposals were adopted (it was hinted at in her paper). Doncaster, being a solicitor, has asked for the proposal in writing and made clear there could be no solid conditions - he'd potentially be risking his livelihood and possibly his liberty if he didn't. He'd also need to know how the money would be paid over and how the benefactor would want it used.

It all became clearer after Budge mentioned it on Saturday and regardless of who said "no strings attached" it can't be unsaid. IMO it has made reconstruction more unlikely as it would now look like a bribe even if it wasn't.
    Yes I agree absolutely. I’m just reading banderson’s take on it in the EEN. He basically replays the Sportsound interview then mentions later in the article that ND said he’d welcome the additional investment now that it was clear no conditions were attached.
    The headline? Budge Slams SPFL Chief 😂
    Sub heading - Multi-million pound offer to save clubs met with a slow response.
    Highly misleading but not unexpected from that mouthpiece.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    How do she out him/them?
    She never gave names

@hibs.net private member
    I listened this morning (before I read the Record article) and laughed at a couple of things.

1. English wanting Doncaster to chuck the bank details about like confetti while going in to complain about the SPFL corporate governance.

2. Budge saying the fans would maybe want to sell for £50m but none of the offers were that high, although she hadn’t looked at them so didn’t know.

Maybe there’s one there for a billion dollars Anne - maybe worth checking?

Meanwhile Brian Mc didn’t bother to go “eh WTF are you talking about?” like any real journalist would’ve. Same goes for them in the studio - unbelievably Willie Miller got the closest but was then swept up with Preston,McCann and English hyping it more than Eddie Hearn.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Just listened to that part again and yes, she didn't use the term "no strings attached" it was Richard Gordon first asking Brian Mclauchlin who confirmed it. Hope he's got something in writing from her, or on tape, otherwise he could be up s**t creek if it doesn't happen.��

She did however call them philanthropists more than once so if they're not doing it without strings attached then that makes it a bung and they're not the philanthropists she said they are.
    I've just listened again and the bit when she said the money could be in account by Monday isn't in the podcast. I dont think the bit about receiving e-mails and cheques from fans is either (and that is quoted in the DR article).

I heard both and the no strings comment when she was pressed.
    Last edited by Wakeyhibee; 01-06-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    How do she out him/them?
    She never gave names
    She never gave names but she effectively opened the door for some digging to be done. I’m sure there are still some tabloid journalists who have decent contacts and it would have taken a few phone calls to reveal all.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    She never gave names but she effectively opened the door for some digging to be done. I’m sure there are still some tabloid journalists who have decent contacts and it would have taken a few phone calls to reveal all.
    He’s been in the Hearts Director’s box for ages, hardly hiding
    Maybe the Press have been too occupied with the Old Firm until now

Considering the very low depths they’ve plunged to these last 10 weeks you have to say it.This is a bribe.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    I've just listened again and the bit when she said the money could be in account by Monday isn't in the podcast. I dont think the bit about receiving e-mails and cheques from fans is either (and that is quoted in the DR article).

The podcast has been edited and Budgies “no strings attached” comment has been removed.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    How do she out him/them?
    She never gave names
    I think her tone, repeated mentions of the benefactors, how Doncaster responded. It was clear she was using Anderson as leverage. I think Anderson was the one who dropped the story to DR. To stop the damage Budge was doing including to him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    The podcast has been edited and Budgies “no strings attached” comment has been removed.
    I listened this morning - pretty sure I heard her say that?

I heard her say it on Saturday but it would be good if there was independent proof, this story is going to run and "no strings" is sure to be broadened as the days and weeks go on.

Amongst other bits yes. The bit about money in the bank by Minday is quoted by McLaughlin in the Sun article same day.

She got frustrated after mentioning Benny. Brian pressed about the money, she said yes, yes it could be in the bank account by Monday. He asked no strings, she repeated back no strings.

That's why they were all over it after the interview finished about ND being camped in his Bennys garden.

That's how I recall it.

I wouldn't read anything into it, it was just to clarify I'd heard her say it.

What is in the podcast is identical to what was broadcast on Saturday. I recorded it and have just played the Saturday version back alongside the podcast from a different device.

The chat about "no strings" is between Richard Gordon and Brian Mclauchlin immediately after the interview so if BM hadn't clarified it, there might well still be doubt as to whether or not there were conditions. The assumption might be that there were because that's how it comes across in the proposal, however AB calling them philanthropists suggests no strings. Perhaps that's why RG and BM had that chat immediately after to clear it up. The fact that BM could confirm it suggests that he could tell from his discussions with AB either before or after recording the interview or that he contacted her to confirm before it was broadcast because they could tell there could be some dubiety.

Plenty of odd things going on but I don't think the BBC editing is one of them.

I heard her say it. 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesforever View Post
    I heard her say it on Saturday but it would be good if there was independent proof, this story is going to run and "no strings" is sure to be broadened as the days and weeks go on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I listened this morning - pretty sure I heard her say that?

What is in the podcast is identical to what was broadcast on Saturday. I recorded it and have just played the Saturday version back alongside the podcast from a different device.

The chat about "no strings" is between Richard Gordon and Brian Mclauchlin immediately after the interview so if BM hadn't clarified it, there might well still be doubt as to whether or not there were conditions. The assumption might be that there were because that's how it comes across in the proposal, however AB calling them philanthropists suggests no strings. Perhaps that's why RG and BM had that chat immediately after to clear it up. The fact that BM could confirm it suggests that he could tell from his discussions with AB either before or after recording the interview or that he contacted her to confirm before it was broadcast because they could tell there could be some dubiety.

Plenty of odd things going on but I don't think the BBC editing is one of them.

The Budgie did not say the words no strings she may be a blethering trout but let's be fair to her.

The Budgie did not say the words no strings she may be a blethering trout but let's be fair to her.
    I heard her say words like "Money could be in the bank Monday" that is the bit that's not in the podcast. 28:18 BM in the podcast reiterates what I heard. It was at that point he pressed her on no strings.. I'm 100% sure she agreed on air no strings.

Be interested if 007 can replay the original and confirm there is a difference, re money in the bank Monday. Why would BM say that 1 min after if it wasnt in the interview?

I dont think its sinister, I'm more bothered lockdown is sending me mad
    Last edited by Wakeyhibee; 01-06-2020 at 11:49 PM.

I heard her say words like "Money could be in the bank Monday" that is the bit that's not in the podcast. 28:18 BM in the podcast reiterates what I heard. It was at that point he pressed her on no strings.. I'm 100% sure she agreed on air no strings.

Be interested if 007 can replay the original and confirm there is a difference, re money in the bank Monday. Why would BM say that 1 min after if it wasnt in the interview?

I dont think its sinister, I'm more bothered lockdown is sending me mad
    Can't remember who said the money in the bank bit but I can confirm the podcast is exactly the same as the Saturday broadcast from the start of the interview to the conversation between RG and BM which is where I stopped listening. Couldn't listen again to English, Preston and co losing their s**t about Doncaster.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I’m no legal expert but I’m sure the key phrase “no strings attached” has no legal meaning / relevance. just like “wealth off the radar” did.

Conditions and non-disclosure agreements and possibly side-letters are more like it.

So (and is not seen the details) this dude has pumped in £9m to Hearts - just out of interest where does that stand in relation to other clubs?

are as I suspect with the exception of the uglies a Hearts the ones benefitting from a _TAX SHIELDED_ massive cash injection ?

£9m over the piece from one source is not the same as 1000s or 100s of donators in terms of effort, mobilisation and dedication.

Not against the rules but gives a massive advantage.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Can't remember who said the money in the bank bit but I can confirm the podcast is exactly the same as the Saturday broadcast from the start of the interview to the conversation between RG and BM which is where I stopped listening. Couldn't listen again to English, Preston and co losing their s**t about Doncaster.
    Think it was Brian McLaughlin as he insinuated money could already be there in spfl account now if Doncaster had spoke earlier to philanthropist. I had assumed Budge had said no strings however it probably was Brian again at being pushed by Willie Miller which resulted in Doncaster putting statement out later.

Left by mutual consent!

Pretty sure the SPFL will be very mindful of any Hearts minded favours / bribes.... if this money is true.

Wouldn't be me though. There's absolutely NO money to be made in our game. If I had that sort of cash, I'd sooner be helping poor kids over the planet (#savethechildren )

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Considering the very low depths they’ve plunged to these last 10 weeks you have to say it.This is a bribe.
    Agreed. Timing, Budge, Hearts fan, crazy offer from left field. All smells of bribe.

If this influences the reconstruction vote - which we all know was about to fail - the SPFL are basically saying the league and football is open to the highest bidder. Maybe there's another "philanthropist" out there who will trump Anderson's bid to buy the league and keep it as a 12 team Prem

Maybe Doncaster should be running a public auction, where any rich guys can choose how to structure football and who should and shouldn't be allowed to play ?

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Agreed. Timing, Budge, Hearts fan, crazy offer from left field. All smells of bribe.

If this influences the reconstruction vote - which we all know was about to fail - the SPFL are basically saying the league and football is open to the highest bidder. Maybe there's another "philanthropist" out there who will trump Anderson's bid to buy the league and keep it as a 12 team Prem

Maybe Doncaster should be running a public auction, where any rich guys can choose how to structure football and who should and shouldn't be allowed to play ?
    Lol. Aye the league will be entertaining bribes in the public spotlight right enough. This to me makes it even more difficult for Budge to get her team shoehorned back into the top flight.