hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He got very little abuse at all. Opinions on if a three year deal was right for him, hes. I’ve never heard one bit of abuse for him at the ground ever.
    Not one bit?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    He got very little abuse at all. Opinions on if a three year deal was right for him, hes. I’ve never heard one bit of abuse for him at the ground ever.
    Not at the League Cup games then

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Remember one game he got abuse from the East the game just stopped the whole Stadium fell silent Whitts looked round at his abuser shook his head and then just carried on

Cringeworthy

IIRC 24/8/2019 HIBS 2 v 2 St Johnstone came on as a sub for SDG 56 mins treatment he received sparked off the Steven Whittaker Legend thread
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 29-05-2020 at 11:05 PM.

After Brownlie, the best right back I've seen at Hibs. Model pro on and off the park.

He was signed second time around as cover, filling-in for several positions, coming in to the team often having not kicked a ball in earnest for weeks and almost invariably doing a job. What more could you ask.

Left by mutual consent!
    Got abuse every time he played from folk around me.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    After Brownlie, the best right back I've seen at Hibs. Model pro on and off the park.

He was signed second time around as cover, filling-in for several positions, coming in to the team often having not kicked a ball in earnest for weeks and almost invariably doing a job. What more could you ask.
    I will forgive you the oversight of when Lewis was told to play on the right

Otherwise, couldn’t agree more.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Not at the League Cup games then

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    He was a stand out and strolled the LC games. Only negatives was on social media. Never heard anything against him at games. I know him so it would have kind of stood out. Not to say it wouldn’t have happened either. Regardless what’s the point of paying tribute to a great player for the club by turning it into a negative sticking the boot into fans? Same happens all the time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Remember one game he got abuse from the East the game just stopped the whole Stadium fell silent Whitts looked round at his abuser shook his head and then just carried on

Cringeworthy

IIRC 24/8/2019 HIBS 2 v 2 St Johnstone came on as a sub for SDG 56 mins treatment he received sparked off the Steven Whittaker Legend thread
    Can’t remember that Bill, not good if true.

No point turning a positive into a negative though. Maybe I’m just happy I’ve got a new healthy Hibee nephew born on the day we won the cup 👍💚

Left by mutual consent!

To do it better? Your first sentence certainly refers to his first time at club. That is not the player we signed nor did I expect it to be but his 2nd stint at club was average at best. A few good games a lot average and a few poor.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not one bit?
    Didn’t say one bit mate. I wish I knew how to multi quote. He got unfair abuse online he strolled the league cup games especially in the middle of the park and was our best right back I can remember. Miles better than Orman who he replaced and DLC who had a great career too. Agathe doesn’t count because he played as a forward when he played with us and Derek Collins and Gary Smith are the most under rated players ever.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    To do it better? Your first sentence certainly refers to his first time at club. That is not the player we signed nor did I expect it to be but his 2nd stint at club was average at best. A few good games a lot average and a few poor.
    Whittaker can never get it right for some folk. When I first started viewing this site many years ago, a couple of years before I properly signed up, there were constant threads about whether he was good enough to play RB (and in fairness I always thought we should have tried him at CB, especially if we were playing a back three).

He won a cup with us, won a ton of silverware with the Huns and did enough to get a good few seasons in England. He picked up a load of international caps and we got him back, injuries admittedly affecting him, and we asked him to play a bunch of different roles, often at short notice.

I am not a player, I don’t know what goes on in the changing room or at East Mains but I am certain that Whitts has been a positive influence in the squad. I am also disappointed that he isn’t being kept on to do work with the dev squad in the way that Per Mertasacker transitioned with Arsenal.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    An example of why I think the Cup should be scrapped. The remaining games could be played with totally different squads. A bit farcical and devalues the competition imo.
    But seeing - Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2020 is just too tempting though.

Get them played, however not sure how Cup tied works though.

First week of the season back. Semis on the Wednesday, Final on the Saturday.

Jobs a good un.

J

Wish him all the best going forward. Great servant to the club and from what I hear a very good professional.
    I’m glad his contract is not being renewed though. Has struggled in his 2nd spell here and it was clear very quickly that he would not be able to play in the right back role he was signed for. His versatility meant he managed to step into different roles occasionally but on the whole a disappointing return for me.
    Good luck to him with the coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Defending was never his strong point even in his first spell. He pace had clearly gone and it was suicidal to play him at right back. Cost a lot of goals but blame the manager. Much better in the holding midfield role. Had a great career though and obviously attached to our club - turned Hearts down for us and probably offered more money.

He got plenty. A good footballer but very slow these days. Be interesting to see where he plays next season.

@hibs.net private member Salisbury Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    But seeing - Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2020 is just too tempting though.

Get them played, however not sure how Cup tied works though.

First week of the season back. Semis on the Wednesday, Final on the Saturday.

Jobs a good un.

J
    I'm starting to think the SFA should scrap the cup but give the four semi finalists byes to the QFs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Wish him the best but the right decision letting him go. He got far too much flak but I think he became a symbol of our poor recruitment and imbalanced squad.

Didn’t say one bit mate. I wish I knew how to multi quote. He got unfair abuse online he strolled the league cup games especially in the middle of the park and was our best right back I can remember. Miles better than Orman who he replaced and DLC who had a great career too. Agathe doesn’t count because he played as a forward when he played with us and Derek Collins and Gary Smith are the most under rated players ever.
    He received plenty of abuse this season and last. At the ground and online

He wasnt good enough. I would prefer to remember him as the player we had in his 1st spell rather than 2nd.

He was my MOTM on a few occasions. His team mates seemed to rave about him which says a lot.

Great career though and one most of his fellow pros could only dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye;6188118[B
    ]I will forgive you the oversight of when Lewis was told to play on the right [/B]

Otherwise, couldn’t agree more.
    I'll do the funnies, chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    We all see it differently, but I feel you're being unduly harsh on a guy who was signed to give some depth to the squad beyond the first picks and to provide cover in several positions when needed. It's the last bit that's tricky. Easy enough in theory, difficult in practice, especially when you're not playing regularly. I think he did a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Whittaker can never get it right for some folk. When I first started viewing this site many years ago, a couple of years before I properly signed up, there were constant threads about whether he was good enough to play RB (and in fairness I always thought we should have tried him at CB, especially if we were playing a back three).

He won a cup with us, won a ton of silverware with the Huns and did enough to get a good few seasons in England. He picked up a load of international caps and we got him back, injuries admittedly affecting him, and we asked him to play a bunch of different roles, often at short notice.

I am not a player, I don’t know what goes on in the changing room or at East Mains but I am certain that Whitts has been a positive influence in the squad. I am also disappointed that he isn’t being kept on to do work with the dev squad in the way that Per Mertasacker transitioned with Arsenal.

You're not helping here.

@hibs.net private member

For me Brownlie is number one. Bobbie Duncan has to be a close second ahead of Whittaker.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He got plenty. A good footballer but very slow these days. Be interesting to see where he plays next season.
    I think he will still be playing in the Premiership.

He was a stand out and strolled the LC games. Only negatives was on social media. Never heard anything against him at games. I know him so it would have kind of stood out. Not to say it wouldn’t have happened either. Regardless what’s the point of paying tribute to a great player for the club by turning it into a negative sticking the boot into fans? Same happens all the time.
    He actually had a very good season for us this season when called upon.

A couple of weaker performances at FB maybe, as it was becoming clear he was struggling a bit for pace but he put in some very good, consistent performances.

He was better this season than the previous 2.
    Last edited by Smartie; 30-05-2020 at 10:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    You never heard it but it happened.

It’s a great pity he never got to say farewell on the pitch, a very good player who still proved his worth whenever called upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

On the last point, why would it be Whittaker that moved into that role and not Gray or McGregor.
    Is Whittaker a good coach? I know he has been helping out with coaching and been doing his badges as well as some scouting work but does that put him in prime position to take the job of whoever is doing this role just now?
    I would like our academy to be full of ex players helping the youngsters but they have to be top coaches.
    For what it’s worth, I have heard he is decent at coaching and it’s likely he will get role.
    My point is more to do with fans always asking for ageing players to be given coaching roles as if we always have vacancies. I would hope recruitment of the coaching staff is more considered than just whatever player happens to be hanging up the boots. In fact I know it is.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    An example of why I think the Cup should be scrapped. The remaining games could be played with totally different squads. A bit farcical and devalues the competition imo.
    Agree. It's daft that there's even talk of the games being played next year. Who cares any more?

Whittaker

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Agree. It's daft that there's even talk of the games being played next year. Who cares any more?
    Absolute nonsense. The cup is a major part of our football and should be played to a finish if possible. In my mind, the cup is devalued if we don’t play it.
    I can understand the league being halted with about 40 games to be played but the cup has only 3 to go and should be played to a finish.
    And when Hanlon lifts it, I won’t give two hoots how late it is in finishing.
    Besides, all 4 clubs need the money.