hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I definitely remember them being called wing stands. The terms in which things are described change frequently in football. For some reason season tickets became season books for a while and the Dunbar end became the away end. We had the cave and the cow shed and shaws heights, and ultimately the east.
    Yeah, I remember both the North and South stands being referred to as wing stands. I've still got my first 3 season books for the old North (ok I'm a hoarder). The earliest one is from season '71/72 and cost £6!!! My bench seat was in the 3rd front row C58. I do miss the the old stand, we had some great times up there with some real characters. Happy days.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Attachment 23442

The old stand in 1927 when it was three years old.
    My uncle in natty polo neck training gear and an advert for the Green Dispatch on the stand!
    Great pic, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Thats where I am now. When were you there and what did you do?

About twenty years ago. I worked in the 'Disgorging Unit' (what a disgusting name!)

There was a couple other Hibbies in there at the time.

@hibs.net private member
    Nice to have a wee thread wi' no reference to the plight of queen Ann and the gorgie mob. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Nice to have a wee thread wi' no reference to the plight of queen Ann and the gorgie mob. :)

....and now there is!

Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    Definitely no bench seats in the east. Straight from terracing to buckets is my memory.
    Did a bit of digging last night as I couldn't remember that either. But it was briefly, the year the Dunbar end was converted to open air seating (benches also I think) the East was benched before the plastic bum plates were added.. bizarrely the uncovered corner between the east and cow shed was still terracing, but probably unused.

There is a picture on the net showing it somewhere http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...age/the-ground
    Last edited by Wakeyhibee; 29-05-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    My first ST was in the North End of the old main stand, my introduction to Hibs was aided by a very vocal Mr Dougan who sat in front of me, next to an ex Hibs player who’s name I have forgotten, centre half George........Stuart? And another seemingly well known guy at the time Watty I think his name was, they made me very welcome.
    I also sat in the North down that corner
    Jimmy O rouke would be there, I remember him going for a pie when hibs scored Guy saying to him "Jimmy get more pies we score when you F off "

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    Did a bit of digging last night as I couldn't remember that either. But it was briefly, the year the Dunbar end was converted to open air seating (benches also I think) the East was benched before the plastic bum plates were added.. bizarrely the uncovered corner between the east and cow shed was still terracing, but probably unused.

There is a picture on the net showing it somewhere http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...age/the-ground
    I’m sure that pic is just the base being built before the bucket seats were added on. I’m sure it was converted directly to bucket seats, don’t remember any benches on the terracing or the Dunbar end.

Quote Originally Posted by vein View Post
    I’m sure that pic is just the base being built before the bucket seats were added on. I’m sure it was converted directly to bucket seats, don’t remember any benches on the terracing or the Dunbar end.
    You are correct looked at some videos of games, that picture in Speedways post I think is from the summer before the plastic seats were added to both ends.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/u...6d40172a17.jpg
    Last edited by Wakeyhibee; 29-05-2020 at 02:18 PM.

100% no benches in the East (I was being a bit cheeky with my original question).

As suggested above when terracing was outlawed Hibs converted terracing to seating by installing widely spaced concrete blocks (on the existing terrace steps) with metal bars running atop the blocks. The bucket seats were then fastened to the bars.

@hibs.net private member
    The Easter Road Cagoule sounds like a murder mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    The Easter Road Cagoule sounds like a murder mystery.

Who killed Duncan?

Was it Sinister Craig Le-Vain? The Evil Doctor Budgerigar?.... Or was it all one massive conspiracy organised by that Moustachioed Monster, the Duke of Bitter Hobos, Rodney Petrie-Dish?

The plot thickens!