hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Strachan

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Have never bought in to the idea that an Atlantic League or something similar would be better or more enjoyable as a Hibs fan. We would end up playing the majority of our home games with probably less away fans than come now from teams like Ross County, Livingston etc. Similarly, how many Hibs fans could afford to fork out travelling across Europe to watch us play.

I also don't see why, in this day and age with a climate emergency, it would be a good idea flying squads around Europe every week just to play league matches.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How would this work alongside a domestic league then? How would it be funded? I’m sure costs for a Euro league of sorts would be a lot higher than for domestic games. Or is it all based on size and the individual clubs ability to pay?
    Our B teams in the domestic league

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It’s coming whether we like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What if say in a decades time, after the huge global depression that is heading our way, small countries like like us and the Scandinavians might only be able to realistically support 4 or 5 pro teams.
    The conditions would be ripe for regionalised euro leagues outwith the 5 major leagues.
    We could have a semi pro east/west or north/south set up for remaining sides who could be attached to a senior pro club, much like US baseball where minor league clubs in smaller cities are attached to a major league club. The MLB side supports the minor league side financially and uses it like an academy side.
    So Hibs would be in the euro leagues with say Stirling or Raith or even both being attached to us.
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 25-05-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    Have never bought in to the idea that an Atlantic League or something similar would be better or more enjoyable as a Hibs fan. We would end up playing the majority of our home games with probably less away fans than come now from teams like Ross County, Livingston etc. Similarly, how many Hibs fans could afford to fork out travelling across Europe to watch us play.

I also don't see why, in this day and age with a climate emergency, it would be a good idea flying squads around Europe every week just to play league matches.
    Given the TV money involved I doubt club owners would give much thought to the massive Ross County travelling support.
    It’s money that will drive this.

Given the TV money involved I doubt club owners would give much thought to the massive Ross County travelling support.

We go around the houses with this conversation every 6 weeks. There is absolutely no chance that a hibs crowd will keep up when we are trudging around the 2nd division of 18 teams (laughable if you think we’re even in the top 36 teams anyway but that’s another argument), with absolutely no prospect of anything remotely like success. In fact, what is success in that league? Zero interest to me, or anyone that goes to the games with me. Give me the Scottish game any day of the week, whether it’s *****y auld stadia, plastic pitches in a 3 sided stadium, or getting pumped by Rangers, nothing compares to it.

We’re about to enter a global recession the like of which has never been seen. The TV and media firms aren’t bulletproof. Where do you think this bottomless pit of TV cash is coming from?

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    It’s coming whether we like it or not.

Such a concept needs to be opposed and fought at every turn

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    We go around the houses with this conversation every 6 weeks. There is absolutely no chance that a hibs crowd will keep up when we are trudging around the 2nd division of 18 teams (laughable if you think we’re even in the top 36 teams anyway but that’s another argument), with absolutely no prospect of anything remotely like success. In fact, what is success in that league? Zero interest to me, or anyone that goes to the games with me. Give me the Scottish game any day of the week, whether it’s *****y auld stadia, plastic pitches in a 3 sided stadium, or getting pumped by Rangers, nothing compares to it.
    You don’t think we would be in the top 36 clubs of those nations?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    We’re about to enter a global recession the like of which has never been seen. The TV and media firms aren’t bulletproof. Where do you think this bottomless pit of TV cash is coming from?
    It might be the very thing that drives it. We may lose clubs, or other countries lose clubs. Who knows?

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be ok with it but I'd make a few tweaks
    - it should be played alongside our domestic league
    - only the best teams in each league should be invited into it
    - it should be a knockout competition

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The Scottish League isn't as bad as is made out. The OF are freaks with ridiculously high consistent average attendances but ourselves, hearts and Aberdeen are having highest attendances in years. Clubs have won trophies that hadn't for years, us included. The product we have is pretty good but us marketed very very badly. We constantly talk it down and big up England. FFS they are ten times bigger than us. We need to stop thinking everything revolves around the OF, yes they are a draw but they are not the be all and end all. At them moment we are allowing one incredibly badly run club hold everyone else back by ****ing about thinking about themselves and making us all look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    You beat me to it with the American comparison - no struggling to get crowds in the door here.

With a population of about 320 million and only 32 NFL teams, it's not exactly a great comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    With a population of about 320 million and only 32 NFL teams, it's not exactly a great comparison.
    Almost like having less teams is a good thing.

Almost like having less teams is a good thing.

So you're saying we should also have one team for every ten million people?

That's gonna work out well in Scotland

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    The Scottish League isn't as bad as is made out. The OF are freaks with ridiculously high consistent average attendances but ourselves, hearts and Aberdeen are having highest attendances in years. Clubs have won trophies that hadn't for years, us included. The product we have is pretty good but us marketed very very badly. We constantly talk it down and big up England. FFS they are ten times bigger than us. We need to stop thinking everything revolves around the OF, yes they are a draw but they are not the be all and end all. At them moment we are allowing one incredibly badly run club hold everyone else back by ****ing about thinking about themselves and making us all look stupid.
    Correct. If Hearts had won at St Mirren in the last game before the lockdown there would be no reconstruction talks. Clubs are going to struggle for a while and some may not recover but there was no suggestion there was anything wrong with the league set up a couple of months ago.

You don’t think we would be in the top 36 clubs of those nations?

Your capping it at nations you want to cap it at. Even at that, no I don’t, however even if we did it would have no appeal to me at all. What’s your idea of success? Top half of the second league? What are we making money for? If we make money those above us make more and we stay where we are. No Europe, so no need to try and compete in that. Your pro’s seem to base it around the owners making loads of money, and you want a closed shop in Scotland like America. Carnage.

Your capping it at nations you want to cap it at. Even at that, no I don’t, however even if we did it would have no appeal to me at all. What’s your idea of success? Top half of the second league? What are we making money for? If we make money those above us make more and we stay where we are. No Europe, so no need to try and compete in that. Your pro’s seem to base it around the owners making loads of money, and you want a closed shop in Scotland like America. Carnage.
    I personally don’t see why we need to be in 2nd div. The pros for me are being able to afford better players to watch at Easter road. Not having to sell players to smaller clubs than us in England.

Let's be honest, Scottish fitba is ****ing ***** apart from around 20ish games a season. I agree with Strachan.

Testimonial Due
    Suppose it comes down to what your own expectations as a fan are ? If your happy as it is say last 30 years thats fine or if your looking for competition to actually close the gap then changes are required.
    My own opinion and by no means im saying this is right or wrong is a bigger league of 18 or 20 ? St Johnstone/St Mirren/Hamilton as an example would they bring a bigger away support to Us/Aberdeen/Ibrox/Celtic right through the league if they knew they only had that one away visit a season or if Rangers/Aberdeen were coming to Easter Road once a season would it be more exciting the expectation knowing you only had them once at home,would St Johnstone fill there own stands for that one home game against Rangers or Celtic other than give the old firm 3 stands each for the home games ? As it stands i can only see the gap becoming even wider and the idea of Celtic winning the treble for the next 3 years isnt that unrealistic.All my own opinion of course and i'll watch us regardless of who we are playing but i would like to see change to the current set up if possible.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Let's be honest, Scottish fitba is ****ing ***** apart from around 20ish games a season. I agree with Strachan.
    You have just made my point perfectly about talking down our game. Do you think that ***** games of football are unique to Scotland? One if the worst games I have ever seen was Newcastle v Chelsea about 5 years ago. I had hospitality at the game and it was the free booze and food that made it bearable. There was probably £300m worth of players in the pitch and it was dreadful. Our game is not as bad as folk make out. Hibs v Kilmarnock a couple of seasons ago was a great game, the 5-3 game. Was going to also say the 5-5 rangers game but am trying to keep the OF out of it

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Suppose it comes down to what your own expectations as a fan are ? If your happy as it is say last 30 years thats fine or if your looking for competition to actually close the gap then changes are required.
    My own opinion and by no means im saying this is right or wrong is a bigger league of 18 or 20 ? St Johnstone/St Mirren/Hamilton as an example would they bring a bigger away support to Us/Aberdeen/Ibrox/Celtic right through the league if they knew they only had that one away visit a season or if Rangers/Aberdeen were coming to Easter Road once a season would it be more exciting the expectation knowing you only had them once at home,would St Johnstone fill there own stands for that one home game against Rangers or Celtic other than give the old firm 3 stands each for the home games ? As it stands i can only see the gap becoming even wider and the idea of Celtic winning the treble for the next 3 years isnt that unrealistic.All my own opinion of course and i'll watch us regardless of who we are playing but i would like to see change to the current set up if possible.
    Making changes for the better within scotland is absolutely the right way to go. A bigger league with less games against each other is the only way there will be a challenge.

I personally don’t see why we need to be in 2nd div. The pros for me are being able to afford better players to watch at Easter road. Not having to sell players to smaller clubs than us in England.

We aren’t even in the top half of Scotland, never mind the best European teams outwith the top 5 leagues. Your honestly away with the fairies if you think this league is going to bring in all this money. And what are those players going to give us? A mid table finish with no prospect of European football or cup wins within some mental ‘Atlantic league’... chuck 150 years of history away for a fantasy, fair play.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Such a concept needs to be opposed and fought at every turn
    Is that what was said in the 1950s when Hibs were European football pioneers

@hibs.net private member
    Personally I agree with strachan a little bit.

I think we should have

12 in the premiership (full time)
    12 in the championship (full time)
    20 first division (14 part time and 6 premiership B teams)

Firstly you’d have 24 full time teams which is probably better for a country our size.

Secondly you’d have an interesting division 1 with good experience for the B teams and good attendance for the part time teams with B teams bringing more fans.

Youngsters get good competitions with and division 1 gets a lot more interest.

I know people will shoot down the B team idea but for me it’s an absolute no brainer.

That’s 38 teams in total so 4 would drop out but it’s a more slimline structure with more interest across all 3 leagues.

Personally I would rather watch a Dundee derby than Livi v Hamilton. If we want to sell our game then we need to have the best product to sell to broadcasters.
    You can say they have better teams but the quality of their teams is as much down to the plastic pitch as anything else. Livi rarely win on grass.
    Having no relegation allows clubs to invest without the fear of the rug being pulled from under them. And I don’t mean just in players but in stadiums as well. The can concentrate fully on long term thinking rather than the short term survival stuff.
    They have no relegation in American sports and people love watching. There needs to be a way of closing the gap on Celtic in order that other teams have a chance of winning.
    It’s bad for the game to have the same champions every year.

Hate to break it to you but the broadcasters have no interest in anyone outside the OF. From next season there’s going to be something like 10 games that don’t involve Celtic or Rangers on Sky. The people involved in running the BT Scottish production had an interest in the game up here but sadly the money men didn’t, but Sky only have an interest in 4 games

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar

Massive Ross County travelling support? I know money will be the driver in this and that is what will probably motivate those in the boardroom to go along with this type of idea.
    That is why I said 'as a fan' because I do not think an Atlantic League would enhance the supporters experience in any way.

Left by mutual consent!
    Strachan comes across like he knows best and is doing everyone a favour by sharing his opinion. I used to really like him and wanted him as Hibs boss but him returning to Scotland to manage Celtics really changed him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Strachan comes across like he knows best and is doing everyone a favour by sharing his opinion. I used to really like him and wanted him as Hibs boss but him returning to Scotland to manage Celtics really changed him.
    Ok so you’ve gone off him , but what about his ideas and his knowledge of the game up here?

This and your other responses sum up the appeal of any Atlantic League to me as a Hibs fan.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    Personally I agree with strachan a little bit.

I think we should have

12 in the premiership (full time)
    12 in the championship (full time)
    20 first division (14 part time and 6 premiership B teams)

Firstly you’d have 24 full time teams which is probably better for a country our size.

Secondly you’d have an interesting division 1 with good experience for the B teams and good attendance for the part time teams with B teams bringing more fans.

Youngsters get good competitions with and division 1 gets a lot more interest.

I know people will shoot down the B team idea but for me it’s an absolute no brainer.

That’s 38 teams in total so 4 would drop out but it’s a more slimline structure with more interest across all 3 leagues.
    Every suggestion about reconstruction is open to question.

Which clubs get the B teams and the advantages that provides for player development? Could Hibs afford a competitive B team? Would it simply see Celtc and Sevco hoover up more players, weakening the other sides in the top twelve?

I'd go with 12 teams in the top two leagues but think below that it would be better to have two leagues of ten (more chance of winning something) and regionalising may help reduce costs. However I'd listen to the lower league clubs about what works for them.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.