hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Strachan

I think that people like Ron Gordon and the other new American owners in Scotland are here for a reason and I don’t think it’s because they have always loved the club. They see an opportunity. It may not be the opportunity I’ve outlined but I also don’t think they are here just to carry on the way things have always been.
    I think change will come soon but I’ve no idea what shape that will be.
    People often ask why is Ron Gordon here? I’m certain it’s not the jambo fantasy of turning Easter road into flats. I’m equally certain it’s not for a 25 year stint as a custodian like STF put in with us just bumbling along as always.
    If I was to guess, he’s here to add value to his investment. He’s made his money in TV and knows sports broadcasting. I would think that would be how he sees himself adding value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that people like Ron Gordon and the other new American owners in Scotland are here for a reason and I don’t think it’s because they have always loved the club. They see an opportunity. It may not be the opportunity I’ve outlined but I also don’t think they are here just to carry on the way things have always been.
    I think change will come soon but I’ve no idea what shape that will be.
    People often ask why is Ron Gordon here? I’m certain it’s not the jambo fantasy of turning Easter road into flats. I’m equally certain it’s not for a 25 year stint as a custodian like STF put in with us just bumbling along as always.
    If I was to guess, he’s here to add value to his investment. He’s made his money in TV and knows sports broadcasting. I would think that would be how he sees himself adding value.

I’d also be willing to wager a major bet that in my lifetime Hibs will not compete in some form of European league.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    I’d also be willing to wager a major bet that in my lifetime Hibs will not compete in some form of European league.
    How can you be so confident? If Scottish clubs are to earn more money and compete with English clubs then this would be the obvious route to achieve it.

Environmental and practical issues would exist - but if the money involved was enough that would be overlooked.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Ok so you’ve gone off him , but what about his ideas and his knowledge of the game up here?
    He played and managed the majority of his career down south and has slagged the game off when he can. His ideas would have to be explained further but the only thing I agreed with was the idea of ambitious community clubs coming in and swapping them for clubs who are happy to just be in the leagues - where the money comes for that I’ve no idea.

I don’t think Strachans said he’s in favour of league reconstruction either so at least he’s happy for hearts to stay a championship club 👍

Personally I would rather watch a Dundee derby than Livi v Hamilton. If we want to sell our game then we need to have the best product to sell to broadcasters.
    You can say they have better teams but the quality of their teams is as much down to the plastic pitch as anything else. Livi rarely win on grass.
    Having no relegation allows clubs to invest without the fear of the rug being pulled from under them. And I don’t mean just in players but in stadiums as well. The can concentrate fully on long term thinking rather than the short term survival stuff.
    They have no relegation in American sports and people love watching. There needs to be a way of closing the gap on Celtic in order that other teams have a chance of winning.
    It’s bad for the game to have the same champions every year.

There’s actually a benefit for finishing bottom in American sports. Or do you want us to introduce a draft to Scottish football?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Every suggestion about reconstruction is open to question.

Which clubs get the B teams and the advantages that provides for player development? Could Hibs afford a competitive B team? Would it simply see Celtc and Sevco hoover up more players, weakening the other sides in the top twelve?

I'd go with 12 teams in the top two leagues but think below that it would be better to have two leagues of ten (more chance of winning something) and regionalising may help reduce costs. However I'd listen to the lower league clubs about what works for them.
    Clubs with an elite academy would get a B team. They have the facilities to provide youngsters with the opportunity.

Would lead to more income for hibs, which would fund the B team. I’ve never been to watch yet development team but I’d def go and watch the B team in big games.

Rangers and celtic may clean up but the B teams couldn’t go higher than league 1. They don’t clean up in the development league so don’t see why that should change with B teams. B teams would be youth players not reserves so it would depend ok how good your youth system is and hibs youth system has always done will compared to rangers and Celtic.

Youth would have competitive, meaningful competition against a decent standard and learn the game in a different setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    How can you be so confident? If Scottish clubs are to earn more money and compete with English clubs then this would be the obvious route to achieve it.

Environmental and practical issues would exist - but if the money involved was enough that would be overlooked.
    What would we be competing with English teams for? We won’t be playing them in Europe, and they’ll have their own league. We would never play an English club so certainly won’t be competing with them. Even if we did happen to sneak into the top 36, we would be nowhere near the top of it and splitting tv money 36 ways, by the time you get to the bottom we’d be making no more than we are today. No excitement, novelty wears off after the first year, back to playing in front of 4/5k as even the diehards wouldn’t fancy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

What's with the fascination of us having to compete with England anymore than us having to compete with Germany or Italy? Find it very strange. The Milan and Rome clubs now struggle to compete with England. Don't worry about it.

European league is also never happening. And if it does its certainly not going to involve Hibs.

What would we be competing with English teams for? We won’t be playing them in Europe, and they’ll have their own league. We would never play an English club so certainly won’t be competing with them. Even if we did happen to sneak into the top 36, we would be nowhere near the top of it and splitting tv money 36 ways, by the time you get to the bottom we’d be making no more than we are today. No excitement, novelty wears off after the first year, back to playing in front of 4/5k as even the diehards wouldn’t fancy it.
    A team with the 17th highest average crowds would struggle to break into the top 36?

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    What's with the fascination of us having to compete with England anymore than us having to compete with Germany or Italy? Find it very strange. The Milan and Rome clubs now struggle to compete with England. Don't worry about it.

European league is also never happening. And if it does its certainly not going to involve Hibs.
    It’s about being able to put better players on the pitch at Easter road. Right now we are competing with League 1 and 2 clubs for players. It means the standard of football we are watching is not as good as if we do something like this. It means maybe not having to sell players like McGinn to the Championship in England.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post

Of course we’re competing with England, not the premier league or even the championship, but we are definitely competing with leagues 1 and 2 for players.

A team with the 17th highest average crowds would struggle to break into the top 36?

17th highest based on countries that you have chosen. Our attendances will be nowhere near what they are now if we went down this route, plain and simple. Our attendances are what they are now because of our Scottish cup win, the route you want to go down we would never have that opportunity again.

Better players for what? I want to watch competitive football, with the prize of getting into Europe, improving and competing for cups. This route takes us into a dead end league that we would never win, players won’t be falling over themselves to play in that. You think this will allow us to compete with the likes of Villa? You seriously think our top wage earners will increase 6/7x? Mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Of course we’re competing with England, not the premier league or even the championship, but we are definitely competing with leagues 1 and 2 for players.

As they're our neighbours, there is a need to be able to compete for players, at least with the lower league clubs.

The leagues in Germany, Spain, etc don't currently sign vast numbers of Scottish players but the English leagues do.

There might also be some reasonably good players in England that we would like to be able to sign but just can't afford to, because the likes of Northampton or Plymouth Argyle can offer them much higher wages.

@hibs.net private member
    17th highest based on countries that you have chosen. Our attendances will be nowhere near what they are now if we went down this route, plain and simple. Our attendances are what they are now because of our Scottish cup win, the route you want to go down we would never have that opportunity again.

Better players for what? I want to watch competitive football, with the prize of getting into Europe, improving and competing for cups. This route takes us into a dead end league that we would never win, players won’t be falling over themselves to play in that. You think this will allow us to compete with the likes of Villa? You seriously think our top wage earners will increase 6/7x? Mental.
    Don’t worry , when a version of the Atlantic league comes along as it must. If Hibs are fortunate enough to get a place in it then Hibs B team will still be in the Scottish cup

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    As they're our neighbours, there is a need to be able to compete for players, at least with the lower league clubs.

The leagues in Germany, Spain, etc don't currently sign vast numbers of Scottish players but the English leagues do.

There might also be some reasonably good players in England that we would like to be able to sign but just can't afford to, because the likes of Northampton or Plymouth Argyle can offer them much higher wages.
    Exactly.

German teams will have more Austrian and polish players than elsewhere for the same reasons.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Livi and Hamilton are playing a different game from the rest of us with the plastic pitches. Livi are garbage on grass but can’t be beat on their pitch. It’s gets them results but is it good for Scottish football? Have you ever seen a good game played on that pitch?

The American soccer league has loads of artificial pitches.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Don’t worry , when a version of the Atlantic league comes along as it must. If Hibs are fortunate enough to get a place in it then Hibs B team will still be in the Scottish cup
    Sounds appalling imo. Scottish football strength is the passion of the fans and the rivalry got to said can't see any excitement at all with a European league, a midweek game v Odense or whatever yippee.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Sounds appalling imo. Scottish football strength is the passion of the fans and the rivalry got to said can't see any excitement at all with a European league, a midweek game v Odense or whatever yippee.
    No worse than a midweek game v Ross County.

@hibs.net private member

Odense would probably bring more fans

In your opinion. It is far worse in mine. End of any competitive football for the sake of ‘a better quality of player’. I should probably just toddle off along the M8 and watch rangers and Celtic week in week out and competing against teams in Europe if that’s the be all and end all. Thankfully it’s not, and our history and traditions within Scottish football mean more than chasing a fantasy somewhere in Europe.

Would you accept us ground sharing at Straiton with Hearts if it meant a couple of extra million a year in the bank? Since it’s all about extra revenue and better players I presume you would.

In your opinion. It is far worse in mine. End of any competitive football for the sake of ‘a better quality of player’. I should probably just toddle off along the M8 and watch rangers and Celtic week in week out and competing against teams in Europe if that’s the be all and end all. Thankfully it’s not, and our history and traditions within Scottish football mean more than chasing a fantasy somewhere in Europe.

Would you accept us ground sharing at Straiton with Hearts if it meant a couple of extra million a year in the bank? Since it’s all about extra revenue and better players I presume you would.
    End of any competitive football? When did we last compete for the league here?

End of any competitive football? When did we last compete for the league here?

It’s not about winning the league though, it’s the competitiveness of the league, the battling relegation, the fight for the top 6, challenging for Europe, winning trophies, trips to hampden, away days with the boys. Every single aspect of that would be gone. You have your fantasy, I’ll have my reality. Give me Ross county v Livingston over Newcastle v Chelsea any day of the week.

There’s some quite amazing levels of ignorance towards what being a football fan is here. The readiness to just throw clubs that aren’t deemed good/big enough in the bin shows no understanding of supporting a club at all. A quick read of the Mercer thread on here should be used a reminder of how we all feel about Hibs and that most of these ideas in this thread would cause thousands of fans of other teams in this country to lose the club that they love.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    There’s some quite amazing levels of ignorance towards what being a football fan is here. The readiness to just throw clubs that aren’t deemed good/big enough in the bin shows no understanding of supporting a club at all. A quick read of the Mercer thread on here should be used a reminder of how we all feel about Hibs and that most of these ideas in this thread would cause thousands of fans of other teams in this country to lose the club that they love.
    I don’t think any club is being thrown in the bin?

100%! Rangers Celtic hibs Aberdeen hearts all leaving the Scottish game would kill it, would kill plenty of clubs. Same as wanting to end relegation, stopping your ambitious smaller clubs the chance of the big time is incredible also. I’m sure we would all have been delighted had we ended promotion any of the seasons we were down.

I don’t think any club is being thrown in the bin?

You seriously don’t think that excluding clubs based on fanbase and stadium size etc wouldn’t result in the majority of current Championship/League 1 clubs going bust? Likewise if the top 6 sauntered off to some Atlantic league, the Scottish league would reduce to the level of Wales/NI and lose a fair few clubs in the process.

Sweden: 10m
    Norway: 5m
    Denmark: 5m
    Holland: 17m
    Belgium: 11m
    Scotland: 5m

Total audience: 53m

Now we have an audience that is comparable to England and we can create a much more lucrative TV deal.

I think a lot of people would be interested in buying a season ticket that lets you see a match every other week against a medium-large European club or one of our bigger domestic rivals.

I get it's not for everyone, but I think it is inevitable.

Lower league club supporters are mostly against having colt sides in their leagues too. But some people seem to want that forced upon them.

As finances dictate Celtic are guaranteed the flag every year, no relegation would be a positive step to killing the domestic game stone head.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    As finances dictate Celtic are guaranteed the flag every year, no relegation would be a positive step to killing the domestic game stone head.
    Exactly , the key competition in the Premier is in 11 clubs avoiding relegation. That’ll keep everyone happy then. The ideas being expressed around Euro/ Atlantic leagues and having an elite National league for fully professional clubs with no relegation are simply trying to find some longer term solutions to the problems of our game. The football and sporting world is undergoing massive change and the pandemic is just going to speed up these processes. Sure it’s a big shift no relegation but promoters of the idea suggest increased investment opportunities, enhanced youth development among others. I feel Scotland really needs to look at all the possibilities and the risks if we do nothing and just stay still. Dave Cormack predicts cross border leagues within 10 years. His point being clubs play with other clubs around their level. Meaning the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen matched with clubs our size. Similar arguments used by Strachan and Daryll Broadfoot re an elite league and semi pro league here.