hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 games

Top 5 games

commenting on the isolation purchases thread, I'd mentioned that I've recently taken the plunge to set up my own podcast and I'm in the preparation stage now.

One theme I'm doing is "my top 5" where guests share their top 5 sports games/players/movies/tv shows etc.

Tonight I recorded mine (first rough draft) and I'm curious what yours are?

4 of mine involve Hibs

- dundee 4 each game under mogga. Not for the individual game but it was a sign of things to come. The golden generation, teenage kicks, Murphy, Boozy and Co. Sexy football

- ICT replay. 3 days after losing a cup final in the dying seconds. Over 2k braved the trip and were rewarded. "Eyegate", signing conrad because of it. Convoy back down to Edinburgh

- semi win over Falkirk. What a comeback

- 21/05/16

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs v Dundee in 2000. Think we won 5-1 but both teams were incredible. Remember Dundee fans applauding our goals.

Hibs 2 Rangers 1 Chris Killen scored the winner but probably the most one sided game I've ever seen against either of the Glasgow two.

Killie 2 v Hibs 4 Scottish Cup 2013. 4k Hibs fans. Griffiths unplayable that day.

Rangers 0 Hibs 3 Scottish Cup 2006. Such a brilliant Hibs showing Infront of around 5k traveling fans, Rangers turned the scoreboard off.

Hibs 2 Hearts 1 1998. Very good Hearts side going for the league, very poor Hibs side battling relegation. Harper scored the winner with a run from half way line in a toxic atmosphere
    Last edited by Since452; 24-05-2020 at 12:25 AM.

Championship match
    Hibs 4-0 the rangers
    Scott Allan giving Ian black
    a lesson in how to play midfield.

Asteras a home was a belter. 2 good sides going for it. Tough tackles, good goals, brilliant comeback, last minute drama. Definitely one of the best matches of the last 3/4 years.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    HIBS 6 v 1 Sporting Lisbon

Hearts 0 v 7 Hibernian

Hibernian 3 v 2 The Rangers
    21/5/16

Dundee United 1 v 4 Hibernian
    Teenage Kicks Boxing Day

Hibernian 8 v 1 Ayr United
    Tornadoes in full flow displayed all the trophies at half time on a converted lawnmower

Sorry missed out :

Hibernian 2 v 1 Celtic
    League Cup Final 1972
    Just too many brilliant games
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 24-05-2020 at 07:11 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Asteras a home was a belter. 2 good sides going for it. Tough tackles, good goals, brilliant comeback, last minute drama. Definitely one of the best matches of the last 3/4 years.
    Dazza sitting on the big #5s heid ! 😂

Beating Celtic 4-3 in cup, millennium derby, Motherwell 6-1, killie cup final and 21/5/16.

Hibs v Barcelona

Hibs v Napoli

Cup Final

7-0

Scotland v England. 1962

21/5/2016 - best way to finally end our pain.

4-4 League Cup v Celtic 1985 - a great game topped off with a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

6-2 v hertz - THE Derby where ‘it should’ve been 10’.

3-0 v Videoton in Hungary - a Hibernian team with virtually no European experience handled an intimidating team and hostile atmosphere, lapped up by 800 Hibs supporters.

2007 League Cup Final v Kilmarnock - most convincing Cup Final performance I’ve seen from Hibs at Hampden.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    6-2

Millennium Derby

Scottish Cup 3-2

Skol Cup Final

Skol Cup Semi Final

CIS Cup Final

Blog Entries
    Not really the best 5, a certain 2016 date is not there, but a pleasing symmetry!

Sept 1972 - Last 16 League Cup Dundee Utd Away! 2-0 down after 46 minutes, scored 5 2nd half goals to win 5-2. We won the LC in December
    Sept 1972 - 1 week after the above game. 3-2 down on aggregate at half time versus Sporting Lisbon. Scored 5 2nd half goals to win 6-1!
    Oct 1972 - 2 weeks after the above game. Last 8 LC, Airdrie away. 2-1 down at h/t. Scored 5 2nd half goals to win 6-2. We won the LC in December.
    Dec 1972 - We had won the LC the week before. Scored 5 1st half goals to beat Ayr Utd 8-1
    Jan 1973 - 16 days after the above game. We scored 5 1st half goals away in the NY derby to go top of the league.

It's only looking back you realise just how incredible that period of time was. Including the Besa game, not listed above, we scored 5 goals in a half 6 times, 3 of them away, in under 4 months!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    3-0 at Ibrox, Sproule game

3-0 at Ibrox, cup game

Hibs 4 - Gretna 2, think that game summed up the Mowbray period. Gave them a two goal head start and 2-0 down at half time before laying siege second half.

Hibs 5 Dundee 2 under McLeish. Two really attacking teams and was a good Dundee side.

France 0 Scotland 1. I was there and still get goosebumps watching that McFadden goal.

Didn’t list 2016 as that was a given.

Hibernian 1- Old Rangers 0 Skol Cup semi final 1991
    Hibernian 2 - Hearts 1 Eddie May winner 1980's
    Hibernian 0 Dundee Utd 0 Conrad Logan show in penalties, Scottish cup semi 2016

Hibernian 6 Hearts 2

Hibernian 2 Hearts 1 Leigh Griffiths and Caldwell winner...

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Hibs v Barcelona

Hibs v Napoli

Cup Final

7-0

Scotland v England. 1962
    Thanks Ancient, that saves me a bit of typing. Just one wee change to your last one.

England v. Scotland 1967

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Not really the best 5, a certain 2016 date is not there, but a pleasing symmetry!

Sept 1972 - Last 16 League Cup Dundee Utd Away! 2-0 down after 46 minutes, scored 5 2nd half goals to win 5-2. We won the LC in December
    Sept 1972 - 1 week after the above game. 3-2 down on aggregate at half time versus Sporting Lisbon. Scored 5 2nd half goals to win 6-1!
    Oct 1972 - 2 weeks after the above game. Last 8 LC, Airdrie away. 2-1 down at h/t. Scored 5 2nd half goals to win 6-2. We won the LC in December.
    Dec 1972 - We had won the LC the week before. Scored 5 1st half goals to beat Ayr Utd 8-1
    Jan 1973 - 16 days after the above game. We scored 5 1st half goals away in the NY derby to go top of the league.

It's only looking back you realise just how incredible that period of time was. Including the Besa game, not listed above, we scored 5 goals in a half 6 times, 3 of them away, in under 4 months!
    That’s a period I really wish I’d seen. Blowing teams away week after week in Europe and in league/cups. Consistently reaching finals, thumping hearts and challenging in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    Thanks Ancient, that saves me a bit of typing. Just one wee change to your last one.

England v. Scotland 1967
    And I couldn't squeeze in 3 winning league cup finals!

1962 was the first time we'd beaten England at Hampden since before the war.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    And I couldn't squeeze in 3 winning league cup finals!

1962 was the first time we'd beaten England at Hampden since before the war.
    This is the sort of content I'd love to chat about. If you'd ever be interested in sharing your top 5 over a chat sometime I'd love to have you on my podcast as a guest.

That applies to all of the older generation. We might have lifted 3 cups and been relegated twice in mu 31 years on the planet but going toe to toe with the best in the world is something I've never seen us do

Podcast-I can hardly work a telephone.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Hibs vs sporting Lisbon 6-1
    Hibs vs Leeds utd 0-0
    Hibs vs Celtic LCF 2-1
    Hearts vs hibs 0-7
    Inter Milan vs AC Milan 2-3
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member
    So many great games! One not mentioned is the 3-1 cup game vs Hearts a few years back. We were still the holders.

Brilliant atmosphere and one of only a few games against them where the Hibs team, despite being in the league below, had a real swagger about them. There was only ever going to be one winner, we battered them. Only annoyance is that it didn't finish 5 or 6 nowt as it easily could have. I think mcgregor had a goal chopped off at 3-0 which looked to be onside.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    This is hard (Cup wins excepted)

6 - 0 Malmo 1970

6-1 Sporting 1972

2-1 at Hearts 1988

3-2 Dundee Utd 31/12/91

4-3 Falkirk 2013

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Home game against Falkirk when we sealed promotion and McLeish promised he wasn’t going anywhere (I know)

Derby in April 98 - walking in a Harper wonderland

21-05-16 obvs

2007 League Cup Final

Skol Cup semi-final against the Huns

my edit -I am going to drop the Falkirk game for when we beat the Huns 2-1 despite Brian Laudrup getting two penalties
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 25-05-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Had a good think about it and came up with-

Rangers 0-2 Hibs 2 Scottish cup semifinal replay
    Hearts 0-7 Hibs league 1973
    Hibs 4-1 Celtic league 1978
    Hearts 0-3 Hibs 3 league 1999
    Hibs 4 -0 Rangers league 2014

The semifinal we were just awesome that night, the 7-0 game was just incredible, I put the 4-1 game against Celtic as it was one of the few times we battered them and got the result we deserved despite the “best fans in the world” invading the pitch. The 0-3 was great for battering them on their own patch and getting the result we deserved for a change. The 4-0 was the biggest victory I have seen against The The Rangers

i'll reiterate something i said above - if anyone wants to share their top 5 games over a chat, please drop me a PM

I released the recording last night to my Spotify page

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4zB...Sz-157DpKQ_5Ag

Give it a listen and get involved if you fancy it

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    I released the recording last night to my Spotify page

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4zB...Sz-157DpKQ_5Ag

Give it a listen and get involved if you fancy it
    Halfway through listening, just thought I'd pop back tl say im thoroughly enjoying it 👍

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Halfway through listening, just thought I'd pop back tl say im thoroughly enjoying it 👍
    Thanks a lot mate - would love to get others on to hear theirs

There's a load of other content in there if you're looking for something to listen (shameless plug)

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    HIBS 6 v 1 Sporting Lisbon

Hearts 0 v 7 Hibernian

Hibernian 3 v 2 The Rangers
    21/5/16

Dundee United 1 v 4 Hibernian
    Teenage Kicks Boxing Day

Tornadoes in full flow displayed all the trophies at half time on a converted lawnmower

Sorry missed out :

Hibernian 2 v 1 Celtic
    League Cup Final 1972
    Just too many brilliant games

My first game and I thought it was like that every week

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Bar the obvious finals:

Hibs 3-3 Rangers 2007. Beuzelin played in a back 3 but the football was outstanding.

Hibs 5-5 Rangers 2018

Hibs 3-1 Hearts 1 2017

Hibs 4-1 Aberdeen 2007

Hibs 2-0 Hearts 2018 (natural order)

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Bar the obvious finals:

Hibs 3-3 Rangers 2007. Beuzelin played in a back 3 but the football was outstanding.

Hibs 5-5 Rangers 2018

Hibs 3-1 Hearts 1 2017

Hibs 4-1 Aberdeen 2007

Hibs 2-0 Hearts 2018 (natural order)
    That 3-1 game annoys me a bit. Couldve and should've been more. IIRC, we had a goal disallowed (Mcgregor?) At 3-1 and I think if that stood the fans would've spurred us on to 5 or 6