hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USSR v Scotland - 82 WC

On BBC Scotland channel now, presume will be available on bbc iplayer.

Another glorious failure, but great nostalgia for me - was there with my dad & uncle, incredible experience despite the result.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Another glorious failure, but great nostalgia for me - was there with my dad & uncle, incredible experience despite the result.
    From memory, we were the better side? Hansen and Miller making a bit of a mess of it, unbelievable given they were amongst the best central defenders in European football at the time.

It must have been cracking to be in Spain. Great memories.

Mad to think we fancied our chances against the whole USSR but we'd be wary of a Baltic state these days!

See also: Yugoslavia.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    From memory, we were the better side? Hansen and Miller making a bit of a mess of it, unbelievable given they were amongst the best central defenders in European football at the time.

I remember feeling very very ill when that happened.
    '74 it was playing a well past it Dennis Law against Zaire to give him a game at the World Cup and going out on goal difference, partially as a result.
    '78 was missing a penalty against Peru, drawing against Iran with Rough beaten at his near post and not playing Souness until the last game.
    '82 Hansen and Miller running into each other. Dagger to the heart moment.

Dennis Law, now 80, was all but finished by 1972 probably as a result of cortisone injections to allow him to play after a bad injury to his right knee in the mid 60's and the Zaire game was a sad end to a Scotland career for a once great player.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 23-05-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post

Just into the 2nd half now, and first time I've watched it again since that night in Malaga. Had forgotten how good Scotland were - played them off the park, but just couldn't go 2 nil up which would have settled it.

I was 10 years old at the time. One of the greatest experiences of my life - Torremolinos and Benalmadena were teeming with radge Scotsmen!

That Hansen/Miller moment is up there with the most infamous Scottish sporting calamities.
    Last edited by SideBurns; 23-05-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Mad to think we fancied our chances against the whole USSR but we'd be wary of a Baltic state these days!

See also: Yugoslavia.
    1-1 with Yugoslavia was a good result

Just into the 2nd half now, and first time I've watched it again since that night in Malaga. Had forgotten how good Scotland were - played them off the park, but just couldn't go 2 nil up which would have settled it.

I was 10 years old at the time. One of the greatest experiences of my life - Torremolinos and Benalmadena were teeming with radge Scotsmen!
    I can't help but think another WC in southern Europe would be something to get excited about. It's probably not feasible for one country to host an expanded tournament going forward. I believe Greece are planning a bid with Bulgaria and a couple of others though. Spain and Portugal as a joint bid would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I can't help but think another WC in southern Europe would be something to get excited about. It's probably not feasible for one country to host an expanded tournament going forward. I believe Greece are planning a bid with Bulgaria and a couple of others though. Spain and Portugal as a joint bid would be good.
    Definitely; a joint Spain & Portugal tournament would be fantastic.

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Turned inside out for the equaliser 😢...great days of the tartan army 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿⚽

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    1-1 with Yugoslavia was a good result
    No, I meant that we weren't scared of Yugoslavia, when nowadays I'm not sure I'd trust us against Macedonia, let alone Croatia!

That Hansen/Miller moment is up there with the most infamous Scottish sporting calamities.
    It's the first time I've seen any footage too, with having been at the game. Two poorly conceded goals put paid to all the good work that we'd put into the game.

We had a great squad and deserved better than we got from the game and the tournament as a whole but sadly it wasn't to be 😕 That fortnight in 82 is still one of the best football experiences I've ever had.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Am I right in thinking that Argentina agreed a ceasefire on the Falklands that night?

Martin Tyler commentating pointing out that the majority of the USSR side made up of Ukranians & Georgians, and to call them Russian would be like referring to a Scotsman as an Englishman!

They were a very good side, but Scotland were better. We just blew it; losing 2 daft goals against New Zealand in the opening game was (is!) typically Scottish.

Martin Tyler commentating pointing out that the majority of the USSR side made up of Ukranians & Georgians, and to call them Russian would be like referring to a Scotsman as an Englishman!

They were a very good side, but Scotland were better. We just blew it; losing 2 daft goals against New Zealand in the opening game was (is!) typically Scottish.
    The NZ result was a mini Iran. Even more Scottish to be put out due to goals conceded against a non-footballing country that we helped to create!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    It's the first time I've seen any footage too, with having been at the game. Two poorly conceded goals put paid to all the good work that we'd put into the game.

We had a great squad and deserved better than we got from the game and the tournament as a whole but sadly it wasn't to be 😕 That fortnight in 82 is still one of the best football experiences I've ever had.
    As a fitba-daft kid, it provided a magic which has never been repeated. I don't know how old you were, but can imagine that it would've been fantastic as an adult for various reasons!

The NZ result was a mini Iran. Even more Scottish to be put out due to goals conceded against a non-footballing country that we helped to create!
    Aye, 3-0 up at half-time v NZ and coasting; then the usual defensive calamities appeared!

No, I meant that we weren't scared of Yugoslavia, when nowadays I'm not sure I'd trust us against Macedonia, let alone Croatia!
    Think that was more about ignorance on our part.
    Nae internet, Sky sports etc so Scottish folk hadn't seen them play so just made the ignorant assumption that they must be rubbish compared to the great Scotland. Same thing happened with Peru in '78.

Naw, the NZ result was a mini Zaire i.e. not enough goal difference against the minnows. Iran was worse and different as we didn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Naw, the NZ result was a mini Zaire i.e. not enough goal difference against the minnows. Iran was worse and different as we didn't win.
    Yes, you're right. Got 78 on my mind after the NL game last night!

As a fitba-daft kid, it provided a magic which has never been repeated. I don't know how old you were, but can imagine that it would've been fantastic as an adult for various reasons!
    I was 19 at the time so it was fantastic for me in many ways, so many memories of a fantastic trip, it's just a pity it never worked out for us on the pitch.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Scotland had 3 good penalty shots, including right at the end. The ref played less than 20 SECONDS INJURY TIME!! Very dodgy refereeing...

@hibs.net private member
    I was 19 at the time so it was fantastic for me in many ways, so many memories of a fantastic trip, it's just a pity it never worked out for us on the pitch.
    Same age as I was. What a couple of weeks!

Remember leaving the stadium on a bus back to Torremelinos. The locals were all on their balconies singing cheerio cheerio to us. Brilliant atmosphere. The fans were absolutely superb. In those days Russia was still behind the Iron Curtain and they had very few fans. We we chanting saltmines, saltmines to them. Maybe you had to be there but it was fun at the time.

I will watch it later but remember everyone blaming Hansen at the time. Couldn't understand why he didn't go with the club pairing of McLeish and Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post

Remember leaving the stadium on a bus back to Torremelinos. The locals were all on their balconies singing cheerio cheerio to us. Brilliant atmosphere. The fans were absolutely superb. In those days Russia was still behind the Iron Curtain and they had very few fans. We we chanting saltmines, saltmines to them. Maybe you had to be there but it was fun at the time.

I will watch it later but remember everyone blaming Hansen at the time. Couldn't understand why he didn't go with the club pairing of McLeish and Miller.
    I remember us seeing Jimmy Hill on his way in to the match Sporting a tartan scarf and we let him have it big time with a rendition of his song 🤣 I think it was that 82 World Cup where the song originated?

Just watched in on the iplayer. First time I’ve seen the game since I watched it live in the boozer as a 17 year old. What a squad we had back then. Not sure why Stein persisted with Robertson on the right for most of the game though.

Aye, Hansen was an excellent player obviously but big Jock broke up what was probably the best central defensive partnership in Britain at the time to accommodate him.

@hibs.net private member
    I remember us seeing Jimmy Hill on his way in to the match Sporting a tartan scarf and we let him have it big time with a rendition of his song 🤣 I think it was that 82 World Cup where the song originated?
    We sung the Jimmy Hill song in the 70s.

@hibs.net private member
    Am I right in thinking that Argentina agreed a ceasefire on the Falklands that night?
    Thought that was a couple of weeks before?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Just watched in on the iplayer. First time I’ve seen the game since I watched it live in the boozer as a 17 year old. What a squad we had back then. Not sure why Stein persisted with Robertson on the right for most of the game though.
    Strange substitutions too. McGrain & Brazil on for Strachan & Jordan? Jock was likely well past his best as a manager by 1982, but the team still played some marvellous football under him. What a pool of Scottish talent back then.

As an aside, I remember standing behind the goals in Seville at the Brazil game and the heat was stifling, even at 9pm. Brazil would have beaten us anyway as they were the best team in the world (should have won the cup that year), but it was no surprise the Scots wilted in the second half.

We sung the Jimmy Hill song in the 70s.
    👍🏻 Wasn't sure when it was first done but he certainly got it big time that night.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    From memory, this was the game where our support
    had a massive banner saying “Alcoholism versus Communism”.

Not sure if it was this game, but the husband of my English teacher at the time was behind the banner “Don’t worry lads, Ally McLeod is in Blackpool”.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars