hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Jambos in my circle were as triumphalist as they were when Romanov was going to make them champions of Europe. I had one relative who was marginally sympathetic.

Guess I moved in the wrong circles back in the day

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I knew a few of them back then and the main thing I got from the more decent ones was silence. No condemnation of Mercers actions or wishing us well in our battle. And I’m not sure what Brog went to at ER. My recollection is there were about half a dozen of them in attendance at the rally.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Hated him more than Thatcher and that says something I remember going to the hibs club the night the story broke and hands of hibs were born,god knows how but we survived and I will always be grateful to Sir Tom Farmer who saved us I honestly dont want to think what would have happened if he had not been there God bless you Sir Tom.i am not ashamed to say the day it come on the news that the fat Tory b****** died I opened a bottle of champagne and had a Havana cigar I was keeping for a special occasion knowing he was gone and we were still here.
    To this day it still makes my blood boil so anything that happens to them is karma.

Rant over.

GGTTH.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Agreed. I knew a few of them back then and the main thing I got from the more decent ones was silence. No condemnation of Mercers actions or wishing us well in our battle. And I’m not sure what Brog went to at ER. My recollection is there were about half a dozen of them in attendance at the rally.
    I wasn't there I was in London delivering the petition. It doesn't matter if there was 1 or 1,000, I only said there were some decent Jambos at that time. I can tell you I would not have been at Tiny if the situation was reversed.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Me and some Hibby mates from Alloa piled into a couple of cars that night and got through to the Hibs club. We had a few beers and the drivers had to head home. Some of us stayed and ended up climbing the wall at ER and sitting in the old east terrace for a while, we genuinely thought it could be the last time we were inside ER. We eventually left and made our way to Waverley and were locked out of there as it was so late. Slept on benches outside and got the first train back to Falkirk and then a taxi back to Alloa for work the next day! ****ing hated Mercer and really hate hearts because of this. The vast majority of them were complicit in the takeover as they were very quiet. Only a very small number made any noises against the idea.
    I went to the 1990 world cup with a couple of Hibby mates and spent the fortnight gathering signatures from football fans from all over Europe for the petition, got hundreds. HOH stickers were plastered from Alloa to Rimini and many places in between. It was actually a horrible time to be a Hibby but we beat the ******* and the best thing that could happen is for them to go tits up again. No one connected to Hibs should ever forget that time, what he tried and how much they wanted it to happen. I hope to god we do not vote to help them out of the **** show that they have made for themselves again

Testimonial Due
    If you wait long enough by the banks of the river the bodies of your enemies will come floating by.

Organisers of the Hands Off Hibs campaign led by Kenny McLean Snr did a grand job

Couple of links below to remind what led up to this

David Duff was convicted of defrauding building societies (in England)and jailed, 2 years after all this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qS6VBho4Lo

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-hearts-599311

GGTTH

The Club that would not die
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 24-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I wasn't there I was in London delivering the petition. It doesn't matter if there was 1 or 1,000, I only said there were some decent Jambos at that time. I can tell you I would not have been at Tiny if the situation was reversed.
    That’s fair enough but its important we don’t allow any hertz revisionism to cloud what really happened. I’ve come across a few of them since who’ve claimed Mercer was wrong and they were fully behind HOH - although that doesn’t tie in with what many of us witnessed back in the day.

@hibs.net private member
    “Keep your predator hands off Hibernian football club”

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    His takeover offer document, financially backed by BOS, laid out how Edinburgh only needed one top flight team and here they are on the verge of proving him right 30 years later.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Got to be said well done to John Robertson for actually attending a hands of hibs rally and showing his support against his boss.

I agree it gets overplayed that we got a lot of support from Hearts fans but my recollection is that there was a decent smattering of them in the away end and possibly some in the Hibs end too. I think it really helped the cause though - the fact there was some visible support from them- definitely recall a picture of 2 young Hibs and Hearts fans together.

To be honest - at that time they’d have been mad to want the derbies to end.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Me and some Hibby mates from Alloa piled into a couple of cars that night and got through to the Hibs club. We had a few beers and the drivers had to head home. Some of us stayed and ended up climbing the wall at ER and sitting in the old east terrace for a while, we genuinely thought it could be the last time we were inside ER. We eventually left and made our way to Waverley and were locked out of there as it was so late. Slept on benches outside and got the first train back to Falkirk and then a taxi back to Alloa for work the next day! ****ing hated Mercer and really hate hearts because of this. The vast majority of them were complicit in the takeover as they were very quiet. Only a very small number made any noises against the idea.
    I went to the 1990 world cup with a couple of Hibby mates and spent the fortnight gathering signatures from football fans from all over Europe for the petition, got hundreds. HOH stickers were plastered from Alloa to Rimini and many places in between. It was actually a horrible time to be a Hibby but we beat the ******* and the best thing that could happen is for them to go tits up again. No one connected to Hibs should ever forget that time, what he tried and how much they wanted it to happen. I hope to god we do not vote to help them out of the **** show that they have made for themselves again
    Great post and sums my feelings up perfectly. **** them

I was 21 and working in Glasgow at the time. Some work mate showed me the Glasgow herald report about the take over. I thought it was the usual press nonsense. By the time I got back through to Edinburgh it was all over the Evening News. When I got back to the parent's house I don't mind admitting I bawled my eyes out. I do remember the old man saying there was no way Mercer would get away with it and the Hibs would survive. Mercer exuded everything they were as a club and still are today. All mouth and hot air. He started all that 3rd biggest team ***** aswell. Like Thatcher, I didn't bat an eyelid when he died. As for that mob, what goes around..... GGTTH

You seriously are being generous mate, my recollection is that it was even less than that.

What always amazes me is the aftermath ..... In spite of the attempted destruction of Hibs even making the UK national TV bulletins, within a fortnight it was yesterday's news outside of Scotland and once STF had stepped in it wasn't even the main back page story as the papers reverted back to their never ending OF obsession.

If this had been Man Utd attempting to do the same to Man City or Liverpool attempting to do the same to Everton fans all over the UK and further afield would still be using their name as a byword for the worst thing any club can attempt to do ... IE destroy their rivals through the stock exchange ... something no true football fan could possibly look upon with anything other than unfettered disgust. The messages of support Hibs got from fans all over the UK is testament to that.

The truth is that Hearts fans should be happy about two things ... A) their club isn't the footballing giant they think it is .... and B) that it was before the time of social media. If not for that fans all over the football world would still be calling the worst excesses of non sporting and underhanded behaviour 'doing a Hearts'

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    You seriously are being generous mate, my recollection is that it was even less than that.
    Let's start at maybe 25 at the ER rally. I think that's being generous, some people would disagree.

Can't remember any at the Usher Hall but that was a different occasion so maybe not too many visible. Still, not enough to be noticeable. I include Fat Robbo in that btw as he's a Hibby.

There was a Jambo on the old EEN comments who put it out there that the ER rally saw the away end packed with Hearts fans opposing Mercer, which is a laughable fabrication.

It does give you an idea of how younger Hearts fans could be duped into thinking there was some kind of overwhelming goodwill from Jambos towards Hibs during the time period, there just wasn't. Most of them were silent, some of them outwardly revelling in it, some of them venomous and some sympathetic.

The revionism by some of them is typically snidey.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Let's start at maybe 25 at the ER rally. I think that's being generous, some people would disagree.

Can't remember any at the Usher Hall but that was a different occasion so maybe not too many visible. Still, not enough to be noticeable. I include Fat Robbo in that btw as he's a Hibby.

There was a Jambo on the old EEN comments who put it out there that the ER rally saw the away end packed with Hearts fans opposing Mercer, which is a laughable fabrication.

It does give you an idea of how younger Hearts fans could be duped into thinking there was some kind of overwhelming goodwill from Jambos towards Hibs during the time period, there just wasn't. Most of them were silent, some of them outwardly revelling in it, some of them venomous and some sympathetic.

The revionism by some of them is typically snidey.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    I genuinely cant recall any more than three mate ... mind it was 30 years ago. But that aside you are bang on .. nobody, but nobody does revisionism or delusion like the Jambos.

Some of my favourites include ....'Mercer actually saved Hibs' ..... 'Hibs fans didn't step up to save the club' ..... thousands of us opposed Mercer' .... 'Nobody warned us that Romanov would kill our club' .... I'm sure folk can add to that list.

When Wallace Mercer sat down at that infamous press conference he didn't say 'I have today made an offer for the full issued share capital of Hibernian PLC' ...... What he said was "I can confirm that Heart of Midlothian FC has today made an offer for the full issued share capital of Hibernian PLC" ..... This wasn't just Wallace Mercer, this was Heart of Midlothian football club ..... Never forget.

In fact as I typed that I suffered from a huge lump of regret that I applied my sense of natural fairness to my opinion on their relegation .... I should't have because they don't deserve it ... **** them
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 25-05-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Agree with you there, None of my Hearts minded friends openly condemned Mercer or the take over. Most were silent and others found it funny and would be happy to see it go ahead.

I took the petition in to my work and no Hearts fans would sign it. They were laughing at our struggle and would have been happy to see us go under. There were more than a few anti Irish / Catholic comments too.

Don't recall seeing many at the rally at Easter Road either although when leaving one boy wearing a Hearts top and scarf received a round of applause which was a nice gesture. .
    Last edited by One Day; 25-05-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Joe Baker kissing the turf. What a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Agree with you there, None of my Hearts minded friends openly condemned Mercer or the take over. Most were silent and others found it funny and would be happy to see it go ahead.

I took the petition in to my work and no Hearts fans would sign it. They were laughing at our struggle and would have been happy to see us go under. There were more than a few anti Irish / Catholic comments too.

Don't recall seeing many at the rally at Easter Road either although when leaving one boy wearing a Hearts top and scarf received a round of applause which was a nice gesture. .
    This is my memory of it too, I lived in Leith but worked in Sighthill at the time and none of the mostly jambos there gave us any kind of support at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Hated him more than Thatcher and that says something I remember going to the hibs club the night the story broke and hands of hibs were born,god knows how but we survived and I will always be grateful to Sir Tom Farmer who saved us I honestly dont want to think what would have happened if he had not been there God bless you Sir Tom.i am not ashamed to say the day it come on the news that the fat Tory b****** died I opened a bottle of champagne and had a Havana cigar I was keeping for a special occasion knowing he was gone and we were still here.
    To this day it still makes my blood boil so anything that happens to them is karma.

Rant over.

GGTTH.
    Tom Farmer's major involvement wasn't until after HoH had fought and saved our club, despite how people falsely remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Tom Farmer's major involvement wasn't until after HoH had fought and saved our club, despite how people falsely remember it.
    He still hoovered up a lot of shares along with Kenny Waugh to keep them away from the FTB.

@hibs.net private member LALthehibeeGAL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    I was living in Leith when I heard the news on the car radio. Got home parked the car and walked road to the old main stand. There was a meeting going on inside, press and a large crowd of fans outside. We where angry, had been on the radio that we where finished and we would not see our team play again. Feelings where running high as you can imagine.
    We where all invited round to the Hibs Club where there was a hastily planned meeting. There Hands off Hibs was born and the fight began. I done my small bit by handing out leaflets at work and the pubs.
    I will never forget what that man tried to do to our club, and will always be grateful to Tom Farmer.
    John Leslie on Blue Peter in London with "Hands off Hibs" t-shirt alerted a more national awareness that there are other clubs in Scotland outside OF due the programme doing a feature about what it was all about.

Remember being with friends down south at the time the "decision" came in and whilst saved boy it was very very close.

since then we have always "balanced the books" i.e learned our lesson. But that lot over the space of less than 7 years have managed to get themselves in a mess again and haven't learned any lesson. Up until today I was feeling a bit as though they could have possibly somehow been jammy enough to survive relegation and unfortunately still do due to reconstruction but gawd I have just remembered how we all felt at that fateful time and gawd whilst a "handful" of them may well have attended the rally etc. the majority were laughing thinking it was fun - so I guess due to timing any sympathy however small it was has now gone.

Lal

He still hoovered up a lot of shares along with Kenny Waugh to keep them away from the FTB.
    He did buy shares, as did others to attempt to block the falling into Mercer hands, but ironically David Duff arguably played a greater role - had he sold his shares (as he was expected to, seeing as it would have made him a big personal gain) then the relatively small number of blocking shares would have been insufficient to stop the sale.

Tom Farmer obviously did play the most significant role soon after when the club was in the hands of the receivers, but the two events seem to have been merged in the memory of most.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    He did buy shares, as did others to attempt to block the falling into Mercer hands, but ironically David Duff arguably played a greater role - had he sold his shares (as he was expected to, seeing as it would have made him a big personal gain) then the relatively small number of blocking shares would have been insufficient to stop the sale.

Tom Farmer obviously did play the most significant role soon after when the club was in the hands of the receivers, but the two events seem to have been merged in the memory of most.
    David Rowland's ex wife Sheila also refused to sell her shares. At the end of the day the old maxim, "Hell hath no fury", possibly saved us!

Blog Entries
    I seem to have sparked some debate over my very innocent comment, we should remember the decent Jambos who signed the petition, came to ER & in John Robertson's case, attended the rally at the Usher Hall. You'll note that at no time did I suggest there were many of them. As I was living in London I didn't know many from the dark side but the 2 Jambos I did know were in Italy at the time following Scotland & they signed the petition. In fact they (jokingly) complained they couldn't move in Italy without a H off H petition being stuck under their noses. I only saw pix of the ER event, understandably showing a couple of their fans, but I thought John Robertson, regardless of his youthful Hibs affinity, showed great courage to publically defy his employer at the Usher Hall. Personally I would prefer they remain as a club but in a lower division for a number of years until they recognise their proper status as the Tiny team!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    One of the messengers at my then place of work brought round a copy of The Sun which had the scoop. Myself and another big Hibby took a half day and went down to the stadium. We thought that was it and that night after a few beers is the only time I’ve shed a tear over Hibs. As has been said, most Jambos were indifferent or actually embraced the idea of one club in Edinburgh.

It was sweet revenge in October ‘91 when I hunted down every Jambo I knew in the office to rub in our League Cup victory.

Quote Originally Posted by The dalmeny View Post
    Sure his kids had to be taken out (fee paying) school
    His son attended Stewarts Melville college and was taken out of school to prevent the Hibs supporters in his year going for him as he was very much marked.

I had left that school a year or so before and was a University student who worked in Madogs as a barman. Who drank there? Jim Gray's brother. I nearly got sacked and was sent home because of the dogs abuse I gave him one night.
    Thankfully the owner, Elio Crolla, was a Hibs supporter and understood my anger and Gray and Duff.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I was on my way to a job interview with Norwich Union when I passed the old newspaper stand in St Andrew Sq and saw the headline. Pretty sure rocking up at the interview with a copy of The Sun tucked under my arm scuppered any chances of getting the gig.