hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She’s not minted but they have a decent income. These boys at Dunfermline will have nothing.
    Net worth of around £9m.

My comment wasn’t a criticism, I’m a huge fan of hers and I think it’s great that Forster is championing the ‘little man’ (for want if a better phrase). He’s clearly not going to be struggling to put food on the table but plenty of his fellow lower league players might if released.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 23-05-2020 at 06:06 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Other clubs are doing it.
    I'm only passing on what Dunfermline were told. What other clubs are doing it? I've not really been paying much attention.

So it isnt due to covid19.
    Its Dunfermline release 17 players who were out of contract.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Other clubs are doing it.
    Doesn't mean it is right.

Also an argument there should be a support system in place regardless of furlough.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Difficult not to feel sorry for Dunfermline over Nisbet. Rejected big money bids in January to try and get into the playoffs. Probably with the view that they could still sell him in the summer for good money. Now they will likely lose him for free. If they had sold him could have been the difference In securing their short - mid term future, but impossible to predict what was to come.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Doesn't mean it is right.

Also an argument there should be a support system in place regardless of furlough.
    I agree, however they must have received advice saying this was the way to go
    Could have kept them on, then the government comeback to the clubs asking for the money back

Testimonial Due
    If clubs like Dunfermline are releasing 17 players to cut costs, the writing is on the wall, clubs in the Scottish pyramid system are going to fold if they don't make drastic changes!!!
    We deferred our players wages to help keep costs down, these need to be paid back when play begins, if its to empty stadiums it could be costly to our clubs coffers.
    Blaming everything on Coronavirus is maybe right, but it goes to show just how fragile most of our professional teams were before it started.
    Most were living week to week on gate monies, and that's why closed door games will be the deathnell to a lot of smaller clubs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    If clubs like Dunfermline are releasing 17 players to cut costs, the writing is on the wall, clubs in the Scottish pyramid system are going to fold if they don't make drastic changes!!!
    We deferred our players wages to help keep costs down, these need to be paid back when play begins, if its to empty stadiums it could be costly to our clubs coffers.
    Blaming everything on Coronavirus is maybe right, but it goes to show just how fragile most of our professional teams were before it started.
    Most were living week to week on gate monies, and that's why closed door games will be the deathnell to a lot of smaller clubs!!!
    They’ve cut the costs to survive, as and when their league starts, there will be loads of players they can sign
    They are lucky they have so many out of contract

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I'm only passing on what Dunfermline were told. What other clubs are doing it? I've not really been paying much attention.
    Ayr Utd have done it.

Ayr Utd have done it.
    Just reading that, for another month

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    They’ve cut the costs to survive, as and when their league starts, there will be loads of players they can sign
    They are lucky they have so many out of contract
    Yes they can sign up out of contract players, but if playing closed door games there's no money to pay them????

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Yes they can sign up out of contract players, but if playing closed door games there's no money to pay them????
    Unless they can sell some games via Pars TV

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    With businesses expected to pick up 25% of salaries for those on furlough after July, redundancies in all walks of life will be common place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Difficult not to feel sorry for Dunfermline over Nisbet. Rejected big money bids in January to try and get into the playoffs. Probably with the view that they could still sell him in the summer for good money. Now they will likely lose him for free. If they had sold him could have been the difference In securing their short - mid term future, but impossible to predict what was to come.
    It could be argued that Dunfermline kept him to avoid the relegation play offs. He still has time left on his contract therefore I doubt he will leave for free.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Net worth of around £9m.

My comment wasn’t a criticism, I’m a huge fan of hers and I think it’s great that Forster is championing the ‘little man’ (for want if a better phrase). He’s clearly not going to be struggling to put food on the table but plenty of his fellow lower league players might if released.
    I’d call that minted by the way.

Qos releasing 16 players. This is getting quite scary now. How the he’ll can they play games say September. They will require a complete new squad. The lower division standard will drop dramatically. This very worrying for our game.

First Team Regular
    Surely all of these players will still want to play, and clubs will still need players, so it will be a case of them getting new contracts (at new or existing clubs) on much lower wages?

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    Surely all of these players will still want to play, and clubs will still need players, so it will be a case of them getting new contracts (at new or existing clubs) on much lower wages?
    Problem being if most clubs are in the same boat, smaller squad as well, maybe looking at part time wages?

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    So it isnt due to covid19.
    Its Dunfermline release 17 players who were out of contract.
    Correct. It's maybe a tad on the high side but that sort of clear out happens every summer all over Scottish football.. Normally these guys in the main would land up on the merry go round, some would retire and some would start delivering for Amazon.

It's quite logical that clubs will be choosing not to renew players contracts, in order to survive.

Once they have some clarification of when they can expect to start playing again, I'd imagine they'll increase the size of their squads accordingly.

I can see quite a few lower paid players lost to the game, though, as they might have to take up other offers of employment just to make ends meet.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    It's quite logical that clubs will be choosing not to renew players contracts, in order to survive.

Once they have some clarification of when they can expect to start playing again, I'd imagine they'll increase the size of their squads accordingly.

I can see quite a few lower paid players lost to the game, though, as they might have to take up other offers of employment just to make ends meet.
    I can also see a lot of high paid players being out of work till clubs get back on track with money coming in.
    With the culling of squads, more players will be asked to go part-time or take a massive wage cut with no signing on fee when they try to get back to football!!!

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Problem being if most clubs are in the same boat, smaller squad as well, maybe looking at part time wages?
    Maybr, or just same numbers of players on much reduced wages?

There will definitely be a retraction of some sort, but i cant imagine most championship clubs going part time?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    These players won’t make enough money from football that they can retire at the end of their playing career, maybe this is an opportunity for some to start thinking about that now? They can always come back to football as soon as an opportunity arises.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Could be the time for youth to shine post COVID19

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    These players won’t make enough money from football that they can retire at the end of their playing career, maybe this is an opportunity for some to start thinking about that now? They can always come back to football as soon as an opportunity arises.
    You would hope that any young footballer, or any player not destined to make a fortune from football, would use their time out of football to upskill or educate themselves to prepare for life after football. Football is one of the few full time jobs that grants you sufficient free time to commit toward this, my guess is that not use that free time as wisely as they could......might be wrong.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    You would hope that any young footballer, or any player not destined to make a fortune from football, would use their time out of football to upskill or educate themselves to prepare for life after football. Football is one of the few full time jobs that grants you sufficient free time to commit toward this, my guess is that not use that free time as wisely as they could......might be wrong.
    Tattooists/body piercers do reap the benefits though.

Hopefully this crisis will bring football globally back in line with the real world.

It was getting to the point it was going up up up with absolutely no check on it.

Southampton now talking about being in bother so it's not just Scottish clubs.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    Out of contract players will be able to apply for financial support through Universal Credit and they will get it if they need it.
    No they won't. They will get it they qualify for it - there's a massive difference.

EZ

Quote Originally Posted by eezyrider View Post
    No they won't. They will get it they qualify for it - there's a massive difference.

EZ
    There will also be a large difference in how much they get.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    Could be the time for youth to shine post COVID19
    I think many players will drop down the leagues and prevent youth players getting a chance for a while. Loanee's will not be needed due to experienced players filling the places lower down.