hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Dunfermline release 17 players due to Covid19

What it says on the tin... I’m betting Nisbet isn’t one of them though!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TamHibs PSN ID: tamhibs22
    It’s the 17 players who are out of contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What it says on the tin... I’m betting Nisbet isn’t one of them though!
    Does he have one year left on his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    Does he have one year left on his contract?
    Yep

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Remember Fraser wishart on sportsound saying he hoped clubs would keep these players on so they could get furlough for a few months. Must be a reason why this has happened

Wonder how many contracted players Dunfermline have?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Remember Fraser wishart on sportsound saying he hoped clubs would keep these players on so they could get furlough for a few months. Must be a reason why this has happened
    Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere, but are employers permitted to renew temporary contracts to keep people on furlough?

I think clubs will simply see that as unethical and I’d agree with them

Edit - to clarify I mean the scenario that Richard Foster of Ross County mentioned where players could be re-signed for 2-3 months just to basically wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 22-05-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere, but are employers permitted to renew temporary contracts to keep people on furlough?
    Possibly not and could be the reason they have been released. Would like to think the PFA were aware of that so they could inform players

Possibly not and could be the reason they have been released. Would like to think the PFA were aware of that so they could inform players
    The Ross County owner said on his Q&A that extending someone’s contract who they have no intention of keeping goes against the spirit of the furlough scheme and he won’t be doing it.

Bet they wish they had accepted the bids for Nesbit in January

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    She misses the point of furlough. It is meant for employers who intend to retain the staff going forward. If you don’t intend giving players a new contract you should not be extending them temporarily to get furlough money

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    She misses the point of furlough. It is meant for employers who intend to retain the staff going forward. If you don’t intend giving players a new contract you should not be extending them temporarily to get furlough money
    I rehired someone, who hadn’t started his new job, to put him on furlough. Had I not, his family would’ve been using food banks by now.

I rehired someone, who hadn’t started his new job, to put him on furlough. Had I not, his family would’ve been using food banks by now.
    And I’ve no doubt many employers have done that. I’m not saying I disagree with that happening but it’s not what furlough was really meant for. Fair play to you for doing that 👍

I may well have done the same in your situation and I’m sure there will be a lot of similar stories out there.

However football teams can’t be doing that IMO. Even the likes of Dunfermline have a public profile and it would be pretty transparent that they were basically abusing the system.

Unfortunately lots of young/lower league footballers could end up on the dole or looking for alternative work. Teams extending contracts for a few months isn’t going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Yes.

Yep. As have loads of companies. It’s the right thing to do. Some of these players will be on buttons. Forster I’m not fussed about as he’s had years to build up a nest egg and he will still have a decent household income.

I get there is an ethical question about misusing furlough. At the same time I wouldn't be overly upset if guys at that level of football had a bit security for a couple of months whilst they tried to sort out something else for themselves, whether that be inside or outside football.

It might be morally dubious to do that I suppose, however it may allow a player to remain in the game as the situation develops and clubs have more clarity on how football is likely to be played in the coming months.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Yep. As have loads of companies. It’s the right thing to do. Some of these players will be on buttons. Forster I’m not fussed about as he’s had years to build up a nest egg and he will still have a decent household income.
    Aye, his missus is minted lol

They released their captain. No way they planned on releasing 17 players, this is hugely driven by the crisis.

Out of contract players will be able to apply for financial support through Universal Credit and they will get it if they need it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Unfortunately this is only the start of players getting released and not being offered a new contract

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    I think there could potentially be a few gems around to pick up over the summer

And I’ve no doubt many employers have done that. I’m not saying I disagree with that happening but it’s not what furlough was really meant for. Fair play to you for doing that 👍
    Spot on. The SPFL advised Dunfermline against furlough as it is a misuse of public funds keeping someone on for 3 months who will never play for the club. I agree with the SPFL.

That's an expensive half million odd they turned down from us and United

If it was possible they should have kept them on for 2-3 months and kept them on furlough. These guys are human beings who have all just lost their job in the middle of a pandemic and will either not get a club for a while or not find another job until then easily.

I'm not sure if this was Sports Direct or similar doing this to their people some folk would be as kind to them.

Aye, his missus is minted lol
    She’s not minted but they have a decent income. These boys at Dunfermline will have nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Spot on. The SPFL advised Dunfermline against furlough as it is a misuse of public funds keeping someone on for 3 months who will never play for the club. I agree with the SPFL.
    Other clubs are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    They are employees who may or may not have been kept on if the Pandemeic had not happened. I think the SPFL advice is wrong. There are thousands of employees being paid by firms who will already know that there will be no position remaining for them after lock down.
    I think there may be a problem for clubs though when they have to start paying a portion of the furloughed wages from August 1st. I don’t think it has been clarified yet what that percentage will be.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.