hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Next season's League Cup set to be scrapped?

Doncaster says smaller clubs unlikely to be able to afford to play it behind closed doors:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...d-cup-22064193

2. Log in to remove the advert

59 years in a row

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    59 years in a row
    Time for radical change. Make the spfl only for full time clubs, no plastic pitches . Minimum no of full time players( no loanees counted). Stadia criteria. Structure the leagues relative to no of full time clubs. Have the league cup for the full time clubs behind closed doors

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Time for radical change. Make the spfl only for full time clubs, no plastic pitches . Minimum no of full time players( no loanees counted). Stadia criteria. Structure the leagues relative to no of full time clubs. Have the league cup for the full time clubs behind closed doors
    How are the clubs with plastic pitches going to afford to dig up their pitches and replace them with grass, employ grounds men to work on them and then people will complain when games are called off.

I see the Peterhead boss wants league 1 and 2 scrapped next season if fans are unable to attend ! Seems a bit extreme but i can see why he would suggest it as teams down there could mothball themselves for a season. He said they only have 4 players right now and i assume that's part time contracts so instead of signing more players and having to pay them and no fans at the game it makes sense to shut things down.

First Team Breakthrough Hibee_Dave's Avatar
    Scrap the LC in England and Scotland and replace it next year with a ‘Thank you NHS’ cross border competition. Lower league teams might be able to sell more tickets if it’s a ‘foreign’ team rather than the usual? It would also bring some relevance and interest to a competition that in both countries is just a bit of an unnecessary headache.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee_Dave View Post
    Scrap the LC in England and Scotland and replace it next year with a ‘Thank you NHS’ cross border competition. Lower league teams might be able to sell more tickets if it’s a ‘foreign’ team rather than the usual? It would also bring some relevance and interest to a competition that in both countries is just a bit of an unnecessary headache.
    I like that idea.

Even if they just made it optional so only teams who felt it would be viable entered.
    Mon the Hibs.

......and seed it, make the top seeds all at home, guarantee the smaller clubs a big away day with more money than they could generate in a normal cup tie.

Your Kidding?

Like it.

So a closed set of pro leagues? Sounds dull.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    I see the Peterhead boss wants league 1 and 2 scrapped next season if fans are unable to attend ! Seems a bit extreme but i can see why he would suggest it as teams down there could mothball themselves for a season. He said they only have 4 players right now and i assume that's part time contracts so instead of signing more players and having to pay them and no fans at the game it makes sense to shut things down.
    Unless the govt funds the shutdown of football then they might as well shut down leagues 1 and 2. All this nonsense from hertz has sidetracked the chilling reality of the crisis the game faces. Very easy to say football can be shut down for months and months but it will not survive without a bailout. Not scaremongering just the way it is.

I’m sure they could play the league cup with a straight knockout competition. If the lower leagues are not back playing by october then there will be massive issue for them. The quicker everybdy concerned realises the earlier we can somehow navigate our way through it. Just constantly making statements won’t help anybody.

Left by mutual consent!
    I've long been in favour of more cross-border matches but in the midst of a pandemic where we're all being urged to travel as little as possible there's no way something like would be introduced even when we eventually get to a stage where some fans are allowed into games.

Play it as a straight knockout in the second half of the season.
    Have a feeling we’ll be playing into June next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Play it as a straight knockout in the second half of the season.
    Have a feeling we’ll be playing into June next season.
    Doubtful if the Euros goes ahead. More likely next season gets cut short too.

It’s been a pointless tournament for years. I’d much rather we put a wee UK tournament together.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    So a closed set of pro leagues? Sounds dull.
    It’s not. It happens in lots of other sports and it’s anything but dull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    It’s been a pointless tournament for years. I’d much rather we put a wee UK tournament together.
    There is zero appetite in England for that.

First Team Regular
    Never understood this argument.

Football is about winning trophies, and this is 1 of only 2 trophies available to us (realistically).

If the worst predictions on the damage from CV19 come about then it’s likely that we will end up in some sort of cross border league in order to save what clubs remain. Whether that is with England or further afield, I don’t know.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Nonsense. It’s a trophy we have a chance of winning. Why would anyone give that up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    If the worst predictions on the damage from CV19 come about then it’s likely that we will end up in some sort of cross border league in order to save what clubs remain. Whether that is with England or further afield, I don’t know.

Best case scenario is we could be back playing in front of crowds buy Late summer/autumn. Guess there’s no point in guessing yet.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Nonsense. It’s a trophy we have a chance of winning. Why would anyone give that up?
    Just have it for the full time clubs with enough players- one off games won’t take long

Hello Ann.

Yep this is definitely the time to make things more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Doncaster says smaller clubs unlikely to be able to afford to play it behind closed doors:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...d-cup-22064193
    smaller clubs don't win it anyway, just put us and Celtic in the final

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Unless the govt funds the shutdown of football then they might as well shut down leagues 1 and 2. All this nonsense from hertz has sidetracked the chilling reality of the crisis the game faces. Very easy to say football can be shut down for months and months but it will not survive without a bailout. Not scaremongering just the way it is.
    Maxwell saying football in Scotland likely come August. Pretty sure Peterhead and others could get 500 fans in to their ground safely, much easier than it is for Hibs and other bigger clubs. If the number of virus cases continues to drop in Scotland, a lot of business’s including football will be re-started. The alternative is a much bigger problem with unemployment, mental health issues etc.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar

I like the sound of that

@hibs.net private member
    You're talking too much sense, will never happen.