hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He signed for the Rangers so wouldn't count. I'd have Sauzee and McFadden as the greatest for the careers they've had.
    I know that. I was quoting the previous poster who mentioned him but not his name.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Fergos View Post
    Ravanelli and Cannigia at Dundee worth a shout.

GGTTH
    Caniggia played for the huns so wouldn't count.

Considering Aberdeen’s domination of being the “best of the rest”, not many standout players spring to mind? Shinnie I guess, and McLean has done well at Norwich.

Left by mutual consent!
    Kasper Schmeichel and Tim Krul both played for Falkirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Considering Aberdeen’s domination of being the “best of the rest”, not many standout players spring to mind? Shinnie I guess, and McLean has done well at Norwich.
    Ryan Fraser?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Ryan Fraser?
    Good shout.

They were absolutely gushing about Steven Fletcher. Couldn’t praise him enough. Yet hardly even mentioned here. Always found it weird that many Hibs fans don’t seem to rate Fletcher all that much. Perhaps we were spoilt with the other young strikers we had at the time. Thought he was a great player though and would be high up on my list (behind Sauzee and McGinn).

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    They were absolutely gushing about Steven Fletcher. Couldn’t praise him enough. Yet hardly even mentioned here. Always found it weird that many Hibs fans don’t seem to rate Fletcher all that much. Perhaps we were spoilt with the other young strikers we had at the time. Thought he was a great player though and would be high up on my list (behind Sauzee and McGinn).
    Also often feel his two goals in the 2007 final get forgotten. Maybe this is just due to the recent Scottish cup win.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    I never really took to Fletcher in the same way as many of our young players. His goals record was average at best which as a striker I always thought meant he was over rated.

To be fair I now realise he’s good at other things and brings more to the teams he plays for than just goals. I still don’t think he’s exceptional though.

Ooooh Zemmama

Some of the livi players were Absoloutely superb when they were finishing in the european spots.
    juanjo Camacho
    rolando zarate
    Quino
    to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I never really took to Fletcher in the same way as many of our young players. His goals record was average at best which as a striker I always thought meant he was over rated.

To be fair I now realise he’s good at other things and brings more to the teams he plays for than just goals. I still don’t think he’s exceptional though.
    Mental. His goal record was something like 1 in 3, which isn’t ‘average’ when you think of how good he was technically, how many of those games he played in when he was 17-20 years old(more than half his games for us), and how much he brought other people into play. The best player to come through our youth academy and his career has shown that.

First Team Breakthrough
    Jim Leighton for a goalkeeper must have a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Mental. His goal record was something like 1 in 3, which isn’t ‘average’ when you think of how good he was technically, how many of those games he played in when he was 17-20 years old(more than half his games for us), and how much he brought other people into play. The best player to come through our youth academy and his career has shown that.
    He also played out on the left for many of his games.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Garry O’Connor no 😉
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Re: Fletcher. There are very few players who, when they eventually move on, you can say (even with green-tinted glasses on) that they have reached a higher level and deserve their move. McGinn and Scott Brown a couple of others.

Fletch also transformed himself into a strong imposing centre forward by the end of his Hibs career which he wasn’t when playing understudy to Deeks and GOC.

Russell Anderson at Aberdeen and Kjell Olofsson at United are two players who always stood out

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    It’s much closer to one in four than one in three - with him getting around 10 per season on average.

Like I said, I’ve appreciated more as I’ve got older that there’s more to being a striker than purely scoring goals - and that’s more his game. But it’s still the biggest part of a strikers game and considering his record at us I’m surprised we got what we did for him.

I also reckon Browns career has had a much more successful career than Fletcher who kept getting relegated and has more found his level in the championship now.

It’s much closer to one in four than one in three - with him getting around 10 per season on average.

Like I said, I’ve appreciated more as I’ve got older that there’s more to being a striker than purely scoring goals - and that’s more his game. But it’s still the biggest part of a strikers game and considering his record at us I’m surprised we got what we did for him.

I also reckon Browns career has had a much more successful career than Fletcher who kept getting relegated and has more found his level in the championship now.
    Of course it has been more successful, he has sat at Celtic dominated with a dead rangers providing zero challenge.

Fletcher was a very solid premier league player for 3 years before injuries and fitness issues hurt him. That was his level, well above the one Brown played at tbh.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Garry O’Connor no 😉
    To be fair to them they did mention Garry and Fletch along with McGinn and Sauzee

Loved it when big Kevin Kyle mentions Skacel and the other boys went on to say he wouldn’t get in an old firm team

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Of course it has been more successful, he has sat at Celtic dominated with a dead rangers providing zero challenge.

Fletcher was a very solid premier league player for 3 years before injuries and fitness issues hurt him. That was his level, well above the one Brown played at tbh.
    I’m not just talking about trophies - he’s captained one of the biggest clubs in Britain for about 10 years maybe? Played in some massive European games, win over Barcelona etc. Captained his country for years. Will go down as a legend at one of the biggest clubs in Britain. Whether it was in Scotland or not, Browns career has been a hell of a lot more impressive than Fletchers where he’s been relegated a few times in the EPL, scored a few goals in it, played for Scotland on and off and spent most of it in the Championship.

I’ve nothing against Fletch btw
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 22-05-2020 at 05:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Mark Viduka. Temperamental but on his day he was a fantastic player. I remember a 0-0 game at Easter Road I think under McLeish or Sauzee's management and Viduka was pure class.

Moravcik was also a cracking player but I'd have to go with Russell over him.

David Murphy was also a great shout. One of the most underrated players ever. If he'd had pace he would have been a world beater.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Some belters.

Eremenko at Killie was sheer quality

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Mark Viduka. Temperamental but on his day he was a fantastic player. I remember a 0-0 game at Easter Road I think under McLeish or Sauzee's management and Viduka was pure class.

Moravcik was also a cracking player but I'd have to go with Russell over him.

David Murphy was also a great shout. One of the most underrated players ever. If he'd had pace he would have been a world beater.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Outside the OF. Moravcik was very good though.

I was a bit vague on the OP. The players have to have played in Scotland since 1998 but never for the OF

What’s struck me is how many we have had. Sauzee, Zitelli, big Gaz, Fletch, Zemmama, Murph, SJM
    Last edited by HibeeSince85; 22-05-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Juan Sara at Dundee was a player I enjoyed watching. Fabian Cabalerro was an outstanding player, right out the top drawer. Speroni the keeper as well. They had some great players at that time.

Fyssas at Hearts is an obvious one. He was far too good for that gang. Annoyingly I'd include Skacel in the list as well, when he fancied it he was a cracking player. Colin Cameron, who is a really nice guy, as well. I'm wary of starting a Hearts love in but Bruno Aguiar is a player I would have absolutely loved to have seen in a Hibs strip. He was another who was too good for them

Andy Robertson won't be remembered for his spell at Dundee Utd in years to come but he didn't get a move south for nothing. I know he started at Celtic but I'm not counting that.

Aberdeen is a team I go blank with when thinking about top players in recent years. Maddison obviously but he's kicked on a lot since his spell there. Zerouali was a bit of an entertainer.

McCarthy and McArthur at Hamilton. Both quite obviously destined for bigger things and were stand outs in their teens in that team.

McFadden at Motherwell. A proper old fashioned get you out of your seat type.

I'm taking the Hibs candidates as a given and I think most have already been mentioned.

Sorry, a goal every 3.6 games across his hibs career. He only scored 15 in 70 games in his first three seasons though at 17, 18 and 19, which in some way wrecks his stats.

His last three seasons were exceptional and you can mention his relegations, but then there’s a reason that he went for big bucks after his relegation. He also went and played for one of the biggest clubs in France. There’s not a massive abundance of players outwith the old firm up here, and outside the top 6 down south, average over 10 goals a season in the league and have a better all round game.

Browns a good player, in my opinion he was even better at us than he is now, but he has matured, but in reality he’s coasted to a load of titles up here.

Testimonial Due
    Maybe a little controversial but I think Craig Levein was a great player and was going to get better until injuries ravaged his career.
    Much the same has happened to Soapy Souttar, looked very promising then horrendous injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by HIbs2 View Post
    Not a single mention of the far and away all time top scorer Kris Boyd...
    Played for the Huns!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForHeroes16 View Post
    John Mcginn has to be there.
    Higdon
    Hate to say but Roman bednar at the **** to
    Adam Rooney
    Bednar scored 13 goals in 49 games for them. No exactly prolific!!