hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aberdeen team , the Fergie years

Watching this on iPlayer and had forgotten just how formidable a team they were.
    Great to watch the ugly sisters getting bossed in Cup Finals and League deciders.
    However at around 1hour 20 minutes, the pick of the bunch. When Fergies teams luck runs out, the 1986 Cup Final. Against the Famous. Who are just about to wrap up League and Cup double glory. Hang on, there must be something wrong with my set, this is not history as Medals Mackay would have us believe.......

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Remember Hibs played them in 1984(?), first game of the season. Dons were awesome back then and massive favourites to beat us. No chance. Willie Irvine (the first one and my hero back then) delivered a deadly double to sink them.

Also recall watching Meadowbank play the Fergies team around 1984 at Meadowbank in the league Cup. Think Dons won 4-1 (?) Some team back then. Bankies did well though.

Good Times

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

I know this is an age thing. Can anyone remember Pittodrie mid/ late 70s when the game was abandoned/ delayed due to fog ? In those days we were behind the goals ( at the far side) and I have had a big disagreement with a mate who said it never happened. I’m adamant he was there and on the pitch with me.
    For younger readers you have to realise these were the days when you left about 9am on the supporters buses with enough bevvy to last a weekend. 😀😀

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this is an age thing. Can anyone remember Pittodrie mid/ late 70s when the game was abandoned/ delayed due to fog ? In those days we were behind the goals ( at the far side) and I have had a big disagreement with a mate who said it never happened. I’m adamant he was there and on the pitch with me.
    For younger readers you have to realise these were the days when you left about 9am on the supporters buses with enough bevvy to last a weekend.
    Totally remember that.

Was it abandoned, I thought they just played on?

We were down the front behind the goal and could just see beyond the 18 yard line. Ball came from nowhere for an Aberdeen goal.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Talking about Aberdeen, their new kits look horrendous

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Remember Hibs played them in 1984(?), first game of the season. Dons were awesome back then and massive favourites to beat us. No chance. Willie Irvine (the first one and my hero back then) delivered a deadly double to sink them.

Also recall watching Meadowbank play the Fergies team around 1984 at Meadowbank in the league Cup. Think Dons won 4-1 (?) Some team back then. Bankies did well though.

Good Times

I think that was the record attendance for a game at Meadowbank.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    This was an era when there was precious little televised football. I remember listening to them playing an English team on the radio, during a European run, Ipswich Town maybe, who were a decent side although maybe just past their peak.

My strongest memory is the 1982 Scottish Cup Final, one of the few games that were televised back in the day. Aberdeen against Rangers, 1-1 at full-time so it went to extra time and Aberdeen won 4-1.

Alex McLeish scored Aberdeen’s first, an exquisite chip from the edge of the box. He won’t have scored a better goal than that. He may not have scored another goal than that
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I agree. I really liked their gold away one from the season just gone.

Ferguson obviously did a brilliant job up there but it's also one of the few times in Scottish football when a club has been rich enough to withstand Celtc or one of the Rangers buying their best players.

Quote Originally Posted by highland hibbee View Post
    Watching this on iPlayer and had forgotten just how formidable a team they were.
    Great to watch the ugly sisters getting bossed in Cup Finals and League deciders.
    However at around 1hour 20 minutes, the pick of the bunch. When Fergies teams luck runs out, the 1986 Cup Final. Against the Famous. Who are just about to wrap up League and Cup double glory. Hang on, there must be something wrong with my set, this is not history as Medals Mackay would have us believe.......
    Watched that a couple of nights ago on the BBC iplayer. Very near the start they showed highlights of Hibs against them near the end of the 1979/80 season and we were absolutely clueless/horrific on the defending front. Was like something out of "Gregory's Girl" Those who give Hanlon a hard time should watch it back on the BBC iplayer.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This was an era when there was precious little televised football. I remember listening to them playing an English team on the radio, during a European run, Ipswich Town maybe, who were a decent side although maybe just past their peak.

My strongest memory is the 1982 Scottish Cup Final, one of the few games that were televised back in the day. Aberdeen against Rangers, 1-1 at full-time so it went to extra time and Aberdeen won 4-1.

Alex McLeish scored Aberdeen’s first, an exquisite chip from the edge of the box. He won’t have scored a better goal than that. He may not have scored another goal than that
    And Alex Miller fell on his arse for Srachan's (I think) goal...

Quote Originally Posted by highland hibbee View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Hewitt and weir won the final for them but hertz played really well and were unlucky till the third went in. Difference was the defences. Levein all over the place. Marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    One of the worst I’ve seen. Beyond me why anyone wants Adidas as kit provider. Their stuff is minging.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    One of the worst I’ve seen. Beyond me why anyone wants Adidas as kit provider. Their stuff is minging.
    The rounded cut thing on the front of the home top is just weird - it looks like body armour or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The rounded cut thing on the front of the home top is just weird - it looks like body armour or something.
    And the away just has a patch on the front for the sponsor. Please Hibs never go to Adidas.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    And the away just has a patch on the front for the sponsor. Please Hibs never go to Adidas.
    They are honkers right enough. I think our late 80s/early 90s adidas stuff are probably about my favourite ever Hibs strips though.

What’s the name of the film? I’ve not been able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Ferguson obviously did a brilliant job up there but it's also one of the few times in Scottish football when a club has been rich enough to withstand Celtc or one of the Rangers buying their best players.
    I enjoyed watching it - it was the period I went to the most games - I'm sure I was at Pittodrie for a Hibs game where they paraded the Cup Winners Cup round the ground after the game - they got a good round of applause from the fans. Is that right? I was a student up there at the time, so I may have been to a game as a neutral.

My recollection of that time isn't that Aberdeen spent a lot of money - it's just that there was less money around generally and that it was a much more even playing field. Aberdeen and Dundee United had great managers and coaches and flourished by playing good young Scottish players. It's just a shame Hibs were so dreadful at this time - another wasted opportunity, as Rangers were hopeless and Celtic were inconsistent - finishing 5th in the league one season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post

Good Times

I remember that Willie Irvine game. Pretty sure it wasn't the first game of the season though, more like September/October. I think Aberdeen scored first then Willie stunned them with two late headers. Mental scenes on the terracing, particularly as we didn't have much to celebrate back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I enjoyed watching it - it was the period I went to the most games - I'm sure I was at Pittodrie for a Hibs game where they paraded the Cup Winners Cup round the ground after the game - they got a good round of applause from the fans. Is that right? I was a student up there at the time, so I may have been to a game as a neutral.

My recollection of that time isn't that Aberdeen spent a lot of money - it's just that there was less money around generally and that it was a much more even playing field. Aberdeen and Dundee United had great managers and coaches and flourished by playing good young Scottish players. It's just a shame Hibs were so dreadful at this time - another wasted opportunity, as Rangers were hopeless and Celtic were inconsistent - finishing 5th in the league one season.
    They might not have paid out huge transfer fees but they paid big wages. The OF couldn't hoover up the likes of Leighton, Miller, McLeish because they were on just as much at the Dons as they would've got in Glasgow.

It's also true there wasn't as much money around. The Old Huns spent a lot doing up Ibrox around that time and Celtic still had their biscuit tin mentality.
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 22-05-2020 at 01:26 PM.

I hated Fergie’s team at the time as we could barely ever lay a glove on them. My biggest disappointment against them was not beating them in the Cup semi at Dens in 86. We came so close in that game. They were a fantastic side with a solid stable core and some brilliant attacking players. Even when their first choice men weren’t available they always seemed to have guys who could stand in seamlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

That's right. The Hibs support joined in the round of applause... and they thanked us by beating us 5-0!

That was also the first time ever I saw a football casual, with around 30 hanging around the area where our buses were parked before the game, all wearing Argyle pattern jumpers.

I thought at at first there was a golf competition somewhere nearby, till they started throwing bricks at us.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunswickbill View Post
    What’s the name of the film? I’ve not been able to find it.
    Sportscene Scottish Football Classics Sir Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen

BBCiplayer

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    And Alex Miller fell on his arse for Srachan's (I think) goal...
    I did chuckle at that. It was akin to the big Hearts strikers comical fall earlier this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Sportscene Scottish Football Classics Sir Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen

BBCiplayer
    Got it thanks

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    They were a formidable force at the time. I remember them winning the league at Easter Road. Scottish sides had decent runs in Europe when the OF were arguably at their weakest.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Removed from BBCiplayer

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    For younger readers you have to realise these were the days when you left about 9am on the supporters buses with enough bevvy to last a weekend. 😀😀
    If I remember rightly it was the last game of the season and Aberdeen had to win by 2/3 goals to stay up.
    Aberdeen won 3-0 but only seen 1goal as the others were at the beach end and couldn't see for the fog.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Pre-bosman rules were probably pretty helpful.

Left by mutual consent!
    I accept I'm in the minority but I think Fergie is an utter tool. I've felt this since his interview pitchside seconds after Aberdeen beat Rangers in the Scottish cup final calling the performance a disgrace. They'd just won the Cup winners cup a couple of weeks before as well. I've heard all the arguments "that's what makes him a winner" blah blah blah...he's still a tool.