hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fraser Fyvie

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All about opinions etc etc, and I think the likes of McGeough has helped with a general appreciation of those who do the simple, less glamorous things, but do them well.

However I think Fyvie is as equally overrated as he is underrated. He wasn’t in the same class as McGinn or McGeough IMO. A good backup for both, and by no means a bad player. He also has lots of admirable qualities and part of that squad we all felt an affinity with. On ability though, I saw him as an excellent back up but not good enough in any one aspect or role to be a starter. Would have kept him when he left but at the same time wasn’t particularly gutted he chose to leave. The fact our subsequent recruitment has been poor is a different matter IMO.
    Agree with this. I think Fyvie was a good functional player but we were struggling to win league games in the Championship when he was in the team. I also think his presence hampered Dylan who often got shunted out to the right of the diamond while Fyie played at the base of it.

The game that exemplified this most was the cup game at Raith where Hibs had a wretched first half. Dylan swapped positions with Fyvie and Hibs became a different team with Dylan composed on the ball deep in Hibs half and started driving us forward. Fyvie just didn't have this in his locker and didn't really have the place to play out wide either.

All that said, Dylan was injured a lot and Fyvie made huge contributions in his time at Hibs. He also spoke in glowing terms if his time at the club and the impact of the Cup final on him was clear to see. So, while he might not have been the greatest player to wear the green, he was certainly one of the most vital and a good all round guy so goes down as a legend for me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Watching the re run of the final this aft and that great day had to be one of Fyvie's best games for Hibs. Hardly put a foot wrong and rarely wasted a pass.

Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    He had a great game that day. I watched the game today and followed twitter throughout. FF was very complimentary about Hibs today

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    I think his weak points were miss placed passes to opponents, often trying the too difficult option. He worked hard and never let a poor performance get him. Pass selection improved over time. Screwed up his contract negotiations or could have still been at Hibs
    I liked Fyvie, but I think his missplaced pass at Ibrox which basically cost us the match led to a lot of Hibs fans dismissing him, perhaps slightly prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    I liked Fyvie, but I think his missplaced pass at Ibrox which basically cost us the match led to a lot of Hibs fans dismissing him, perhaps slightly prematurely.
    Slightly? Guy plays a massive part in us winning the cup after 114 years and he is dismissed by some because of a bad pass?

Anyone who done that is, quite frankly, an absolute tool.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/05/20/he-was-in-tears-and-said-my-grandad-died-the-happiest-man-in-the-world-fraser-fyvie-on-hibs-2016-scottish-cup-triumph-hibs-scottish-cup-alan-stubbs-fa-cup-wigan-manchester-city-uwe-rosler/

Article from Fraser Fyvie talking about the cup victory and other footballing memories. Sorry I'm rubbish at posting links
    Good lad Fraser.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Watching the re run of the final this aft and that great day had to be one of Fyvie's best games for Hibs. Hardly put a foot wrong and rarely wasted a pass.
    He got stuck in about them late on and helped instil the belief that we could beat them. Boy's a legend.