hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    IMG_0229.JPG

Such joy. Happy 21st May to Hibees everywhere.

@hibs.net private member
    Every evening, the Radio 5 Drive programme ends with a song chosen by one of the staff. Tonight, one of the main presenters, Tony Livesey chose SUnshine on Leith - how apt for today!!

First Team Regular
    Watching the replay of this for the umpteenth time, what strikes me is just how bad Tavernier is. He literally just doesn't move at the two of our goals from corners. To give him his due, he can take a good free kick and corner, but he really can't defend to save his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every evening, the Radio 5 Drive programme ends with a song chosen by one of the staff. Tonight, one of the main presenters, Tony Livesey chose SUnshine on Leith - how apt for today!!
    Right on.

I often think back to that day.
    When the cup was actually won I was in the museum in Stirling perusing a thing about the pewter industry in Stirlingshire.

My mate texted me with the result and I sank to my knees.

I deliberately didn't get a ticket for the game because I always think I am a bad luck guy!

It wasn't just a good day or weekend, I can honestly say I felt absolutely amazing for months afterwards. I was so deflated after the play off loss, I honestly contemplated not going to the final and thought I couldn't face another season in the Championship.

I was told not to be so bloody stupid and to get to the game; I told myself I was just going to enjoy the day but that's a fallacy. No one really enjoys a cup final day unless you win. Afterwards I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I always said the hoodoo didn't bother me and the LC wins were just as good. I don't think I was actively lying to myself, I just think I underestimated how big winning the SC was. Obviously I knew it would be a big deal, I just didn't realise how big.

Short of Hibs winning the league I don't think I'll ever feel that high from football again. It was a feeling that is almost indescribable. Whatever happens from now on we were the generations that saw 'it' happen.

I was getting ready for the game that morning when we got the call that my mother in law had just passed away.

Obviously didn't go but i'm still convinced they won because I wasn't there!

Still had a great Sunday though!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It wasn't just a good day or weekend, I can honestly say I felt absolutely amazing for months afterwards. I was so deflated after the play off loss, I honestly contemplated not going to the final and thought I couldn't face another season in the Championship.

I was told not to be so bloody stupid and to get to the game; I told myself I was just going to enjoy the day but that's a fallacy. No one really enjoys a cup final day unless you win. Afterwards I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I always said the hoodoo didn't bother me and the LC wins were just as good. I don't think I was actively lying to myself, I just think I underestimated how big winning the SC was. Obviously I knew it would be a big deal, I just didn't realise how big.

Short of Hibs winning the league I don't think I'll ever feel that high from football again. It was a feeling that is almost indescribable. Whatever happens from now on we were the generations that saw 'it' happen.
    Your last paragraph is why I don't get the fans who still find a stick to beat Stubbs with, at the end of the day he put together a team capable of winning cup matches and ultimately delivered what was unthinkable just a short time before.
    What that day meant to us as a family was unbelievable and no amount of poor league performances can belittle it.
    I happily took the cup win at the expense of promotion and in all honesty would probably have said the same if we'd 'only' won the League Cup.
    How close was Stubbs to winning a 'treble' of promotion, league Cup and THE Cup? Imagine that...
    I wish Stubbsy had stayed on, although there's no doubt Lennon improved us, as he deserved the adulation the next season would have brought him.
    Anyway rambling on with the effects of Sir David Gray Day������

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Although this would run it close:

https://youtu.be/8nV3R9B19Zo?t=318

Aww naw! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Disgraceful abuse that our commentary team are getting.
    That was disgusting, no surprise, but disgusting.
    Did Cliff keep the programme they were ‘given’? 😁
    Last edited by Joe6-2; 22-05-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Watched the full game tonight for the 1st time, was brilliant. Hibs fans were amazing.

Just noticed on BBC scotlands sport page they do this day thing but they didnt choose our glorious win for the 21st 😠😠😠 choose Celtic instead and two days of on this day for them across the road 😠😠😠

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I dragged my 10 y/o son out of his bed who had bad tonilitus for the league cup game against Ross County. It took us 3.5 hours to get home after the game and we didn't have anything to drink on the way back. I said to myself, enoughs enough with this ***** now.

The tickets for the SC final went on sale and i never bothered to get any then all the allocated tickets were sold and i thought, WTF are you thinking of! Thankfully more tickets came on sale for the very front and i bought 2 for me and the laddie.

We stood at the back though for a better view, what a day. 2nd best day of my life after the wee man being born.

Never to be forgotten nor better for me as a Hibee.

As number have said - kids/granddaughter aside - easily best day of my life #magical

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I was in the rather get promoted club than win the cup. Went to the SF thinking we'd get beat. Was definitely on the cards when Jason chipped the keeper and the bar...l had pretty much consigned myself to the usual glorious failure especially round 85 mins when Stevenson was sparked out and we'd used all our subs. The euphoria at 92 is the greatest single moment following Hibs. From that point on I watched Steve McLean until he put the whistle to his lips and Hendo turned and put his hands up. Second greafest moment ever then happened. Yesterday was the first time I've watched the whole game again, first time with Cliff and Connor.
    Found a picture from the Cricket Club pre game. Pretty Boy is front and centre, ran into a few guys hadnt seen in ages. Two memories from the bus back. Remembering I could watch the goals in the iPlayer, and the bus was really quiet. Think most of us still couldn't believe it.
    Winning promotion that year would have paled versus the feelings around 16:52 and the memories of singing SOL with everyone else.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Like most here I was at the game, but living in Belfast the recording I have is from sky sports.

Just wondering, when most people think of the commentary from the match do they think of the sky version or the bbc Scotland version?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Nice wee blog post including some videos, SoL etc

Written by a non-hibs fan, but he captures some of the feelings well.

http://www.mrrichardclarke.com/blog/leith

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Like most here I was at the game, but living in Belfast the recording I have is from sky sports.

Just wondering, when most people think of the commentary from the match do they think of the sky version or the bbc Scotland version?
    Sky (Ian Crocker). I've seen both versions of the footage, but Time for Heroes uses the Sky commentary so I'm more familiar with that. Plus it has the pick of many immortal lines: "Henderson to deliver…"

Visually I have a slight preference for the BBC Scotland footage because I'm in it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

really nice, thanks for sharing.

He got it pretty well, other than totally overdoing the aggression/confrontation thing. As I remember it, stunned bliss was the order of the day and even the Polis looked pretty happy (I might have imagined that).

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    really nice, thanks for sharing.

He got it pretty well, other than totally overdoing the aggression/confrontation thing. As I remember it, stunned bliss was the order of the day and even the Polis looked pretty happy (I might have imagined that).
    It was from where I was sitting too.

Oddly enough, watching the Hibs TV feed yesterday, it looked a lot "worse" than I remembered it.

But, hey - it was the best weekend of my life so I am not too fussed.

What is very telling is that - on that Youtube clip - so many fans of other clubs, down south etc said they thought it was amazing and they had tears in their eyes as well.

We went down in history with a story that fans of most other clubs would give their right nut for.

The only vaguely comparable football story for me is Man Utd winning the European Cup v Bayern Munich in injury time in 1999, but even then our history in the Scottish cup trumps that.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

I can see how an outsider could see this from the video of SoL

When the video opens, the first thing you notice is the confrontational feel, even though the opposing stands are empty. It seems as though the supporters are directly addressing ranks of stewards, officers and mounted police stretching across the pitch. And there is almost a menace in the way these authority figures stand, silent and motionless, staring back. It is a stand-off as much as a song.

I read one Man United site where someone seeing it for the first time commented that in a time many are concerned football is losing its working class roots, there was raw passion and loyalty in this final. Too right!!!! Not always pretty but other teams fans ‘got it’.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post

Sky.

"Liam Henderson to deliver...." is an iconic phrase that's now synonymous with that game.

There's just nothing that comes close from the BBC commentary and I'm not a fan of Liam McLeod.