hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Birds nesting in the attic

I was out in the garden today and I noticed a bird flying into a gap between the bricks and the wood at the top of the wall in the back garden. I’ve never noticed before but there appears to be a series of vents along this area, I then noticed another bird flying into one of the other vents and I could hear what sounded like chicks. I looked in the attic and I couldn’t see anything, but it’s only partially floored so I’m not sure. To be honest I don’t mind having them, but I’m interested to know if they’re actually nesting in the attic or are they in a gap in between.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was out in the garden today and I noticed a bird flying into a gap between the bricks and the wood at the top of the wall in the back garden. I’ve never noticed before but there appears to be a series of vents along this area, I then noticed another bird flying into one of the other vents and I could hear what sounded like chicks. I looked in the attic and I couldn’t see anything, but it’s only partially floored so I’m not sure. To be honest I don’t mind having them, but I’m interested to know if they’re actually nesting in the attic or are they in a gap in between.
    Do you know what species?

Swifts 'nest' usually on the wall head and wouldn't venture into the roof. House sparrow will nest in any nook and cranny. Starlings might use gaps but not usually in the roof.

Hope that gives you an idea. But if you can identify the birds it would help.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Do you know what species?

Swifts 'nest' usually on the wall head and wouldn't venture into the roof. House sparrow will nest in any nook and cranny. Starlings might use gaps but not usually in the roof.

Hope that gives you an idea. But if you can identify the birds it would help.
    They looked like sparrows but I couldn’t be sure, they were really quick. The gap doesn’t look big enough for a bird to fly into but they flew in at speed without slowing down.

United we stand here....

Coaching Staff
    I had starlings doing similar. You could hear them scratching away during the night and sounded like they were in the walls or the attic.

We got a company in to have a look. They got in between the slate and felt and weren’t in the attic or walls as such. We got all the slight gaps wired over and it’s been fine since.

@hibs.net private member
    They could be house martins or swallows. Quite common at this time of year.

Swallows have a yellowish under belly, martins are slightly smaller. Both tend to nest just on the cusp of the gutter or roof joint but rarely in a house itself.

Ours are in an out house and return year after year from their winter over north Africa.

To tell the difference in flight: swallows tend to soar high above whereas martins are more low and " jerky " in flight.

E5F26D3B-BB76-4C2D-9B59-5CE3F0256B2E.jpg
    I got a picture of one today.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    E5F26D3B-BB76-4C2D-9B59-5CE3F0256B2E.jpg
    I got a picture of one today.
    Yeah, house sparrow. If you wait until September to block up the holes, any earlier and you could trap chicks.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Yeah, house sparrow. If you wait until September to block up the holes, any earlier and you could trap chicks.
    As long as they’re not actually getting into the attic I’m quite happy to leave things as they are. I quite like the idea of my house helping nature along.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    I get starlings in same part of the eaves every year, love hearing them cheeping away when the parents bring food back. Saw one of the fledglings today for the first time ever. Daft wee bugger was struggling to fly but persevered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I get starlings in same part of the eaves every year, love hearing them cheeping away when the parents bring food back. Saw one of the fledglings today for the first time ever. Daft wee bugger was struggling to fly but persevered.

Persevered

The whole of the natural world gets it.